Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FTRox87
... like honeymoon with my bride to be and I wanted her to have the best of the world, and experience the finest of everything on offer...
Save this for your Silver Anniversary. You'll both appreciate it more.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Do all the airlines listed charge 25K and no YQ for awards within the US? Any that can be done online?
Bump. Anyone know of sweet spots for travel within the US?

Are the transfers instant?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:40 am

I'm not, I'm just gonna work on a way to fly The Res another way. besides its not worth $20k to me, or even $10k for that matter. unless it was for a special occasion, like honeymoon with my bride to be and I wanted her to have the best of the world, and experience the finest of everything on offer

p.s. the lowest I've seen it go for is about 2.56MM.
you missed my point. 2MM TYP is worth about 20K not 10k cash as in your original reply.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:03 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
ah I see, well someone upthread mentioned that TYPs were only worth .5c/pt when cashed out. so 2MM = $10k cash.

@mia - I'll keep that in mind. but who says we cant do it all over again, down the road. besides nothing is ever promised tmrw, today. we might not be around or who knows if something as lavish as the Res might not be around then, either.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
ah I see, well someone upthread mentioned that TYPs were only worth .5c/pt when cashed out. so 2MM = $10k cash.
This is true, but if you have a mortgage or student loans, take the $20K cash.

$20K to principle would cut a decent chunk of time off the mortgage.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:32 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
luckily I dont have any kind of debt (no mortgage or student loans) ... but can you expand on how exactly 2MM points turn to $20k in the above cases?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
luckily I dont have any kind of debt (no mortgage or student loans) ... but can you expand on how exactly 2MM points turn to $20k in the above cases?
you can redeem for gift cards, hotels, etc at $.01/pt, thus $20k. If you redeem for airfare and have the Premier/Prestige then you are getting $25k worth of flights plus earning miles on those flights. Taking $10k cash is blasphemy IMHO
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
i'm kicking myself, i redeamed so many of these points over the years, easily over 300k points on student loan rebates, at the time, it was the only thing that got 1 point = 1 cent =(. if i only i can get those back!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by bbmatt
i'm kicking myself, i redeamed so many of these points over the years, easily over 300k points on student loan rebates, at the time, it was the only thing that got 1 point = 1 cent =(. if i only i can get those back!
Considering the interest you save on that, wouldn't it be more than 1 cent?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:42 pm

Any transfer reports?

Back on topic, Nybody sucesfully transfer to any airlines? And if yes:
1) which airline
2) was name matching
3) was instant, or how long to post (if at all yet)

I have tried to my matching acct the other day, but wasnt sucseful past some security code stage,Not sure if the entire system was down, or something i did wrong.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:08 am

Not sure if this program is for US card members only, but if it is, why partnering with Airlines that are all based in ... Asia and Mid East?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:21 am
mia

Originally Posted by snackboxes
... why partnering with Airlines that are all based in ... Asia and Mid East?
  • Many Americans do travel to Asia and the Middle East.
  • The large US and European airlines already have established credit card partnerships in the USA. Rather than a "me too" program with many of the same partners Citi has tried to do something distinctive ^. Most of the programs are sufficiently popular to have their own forums on FlyerTalk.
  • The airline alliance system means that you can redeem through any OneWorld, SkyTeam or Star Alliance member for flights operated by every airline in the same alliance. Citi has all three covered.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
  • Many Americans do travel to Asia and the Middle East.
  • The large US and European airlines already have established credit card partnerships in the USA. Rather than a "me too" program with many of the same partners Citi has tried to do something distinctive ^. Most of the programs are sufficiently popular to have their own forums on FlyerTalk.
  • The airline alliance system means that you can redeem through any OneWorld, SkyTeam or Star Alliance member for flights operated by every airline in the same alliance. Citi has all three covered.
I get your point, I know that you can redeem points through the alliance system, it's just interesting to see that they only partner with Asian and Middle Eastern airlines. Wondering why they didn't even sign up with AA for this.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by snackboxes
... Wondering why they didn't even sign up with AA for this.
Scroll back to post #5.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mia
Scroll back to post #5.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.