ThankYou Airline or Hotel Transfer Errors

Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

ThankYou Airline or Hotel Transfer Errors

Has anyone experienced a problem transferring ThankYou points to airline partners recently? For the last couple of days, I’m receiving the following error when transferring to Etihad: ‘When we tried to complete your Points Transfer, we encountered a system error. Please try again or contact Customer Service for help’

I have transferred ThankYou points to Etihad before, so I don’t think it’s an issue with my account. I also spoke to Citi on the phone and they said it’s a system wide issue, but couldn’t confirm if it’s just impacting Etihad, or all of the partner airlines. They also said that it might take a week to fix.

Have others also had problems (or success) transferring to airlines over the last few days?

Last edited by Traveler56789; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:15 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:53 pm

I'm not sure, but I initiated a transfer to Turkish Miles and Smiles yesterday at around 1pm and the miles aren't in my Turkish account. On my Thank You account, it says "fulfilled." On most blogs, it says transfers usually occur within one day. I'm wondering if there is a larger issue here.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:33 pm

Could a middle initial on Citi's end that isn't included on TK Miles and Smiles mess it all up? TK doesn't allow you to put a middle name or initial. If so, what is my recourse?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by googs185
Could a middle initial on Citi's end that isn't included on TK Miles and Smiles mess it all up? TK doesn't allow you to put a middle name or initial. If so, what is my recourse?
My understanding is that it wont let you initiate the transfer unless the name on citi matches the airline program exactly. If it doesnt match, i think youll receive an error and it wont initiate the transfer. So I think youre probably ok from that perspective.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Traveler56789

My understanding is that it wont let you initiate the transfer unless the name on citi matches the airline program exactly. If it doesnt match, i think youll receive an error and it wont initiate the transfer. So I think youre probably ok from that perspective.
So it wouldnt have even allowed the transfer at all? It wouldnt have gone to completed on Citis side do that were the case?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
I transferred from Citi TY points to Jetblue True Blue program last night. Transfer was instantaneous.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

So it wouldnt have even allowed the transfer at all? It wouldnt have gone to completed on Citis side do that were the case?
Yes. That's my understanding. I believe that if your name doesn't match exactly, you'll receive an error and won't be able to transfer the points.

Originally Posted by happychic
I transferred from Citi TY points to Jetblue True Blue program last night. Transfer was instantaneous.
Thanks for this data point
happychic likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Anyone thinking about transferring to TK due to their 20% bonus, think again.

Transferred 6K (7.2K M&S) Feb 9th and still hasn't shown up, and I'm not the only one seeing this issue. At the moment M&S is completely messed up as far as mileage accruals, which has been ongoing since Nov last year.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
Anyone thinking about transferring to TK due to their 20% bonus, think again.

Transferred 6K (7.2K M&S) Feb 9th and still hasn't shown up, and I'm not the only one seeing this issue. At the moment M&S is completely messed up as far as mileage accruals, which has been ongoing since Nov last year.
Thank you for posting this. I was an idiot and transferred 67.5k miles (90k miles) on February 8th without thinking of things that could go wrong with a particular redemption on a particular day in mind. I have a call out to TK as well. I've called them every day, tweeted, submitted their stupid "Feedback forms" and called Citi multiple times. I have the flight on reserve and I've extended it once, but the miles still haven't posted. Have you reached out to them? Will we see these miles in our accounts? I even tried to conference Citi into a call with TK but they yelled an said they can't do that. I'm at wit's end!!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Thank you for posting this. I was an idiot and transferred 67.5k miles (90k miles) on February 8th without thinking of things that could go wrong with a particular redemption on a particular day in mind. I have a call out to TK as well. I've called them every day, tweeted, submitted their stupid "Feedback forms" and called Citi multiple times. I have the flight on reserve and I've extended it once, but the miles still haven't posted. Have you reached out to them? Will we see these miles in our accounts? I even tried to conference Citi into a call with TK but they yelled an said they can't do that. I'm at wit's end!!
Update, my transaction finally came through, I hope yours too. Now I can transfer my remaining points during the special offer.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update everyone. I was never able to transfer from Citi to Etihad (I kept receiving the error described above), so I ultimately decided to use my Amex points for the the flight I was trying to book instead. I'll use my Citi points for something else I guess
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler56789
Thanks for the update everyone. I was never able to transfer from Citi to Etihad (I kept receiving the error described above), so I ultimately decided to use my Amex points for the the flight I was trying to book instead. I'll use my Citi points for something else I guess
According to multiple Citi ThankYou phone agents, this is a known issue that could take 2 months to resolve. The date of when this issue first started is unknown. Agents don't even see Etihad as a transfer partner in their system, so less-trained agents claim that Etihad doesn't exist.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lewis_saint
According to multiple Citi ThankYou phone agents, this is a known issue that could take 2 months to resolve. The date of when this issue first started is unknown. Agents don't even see Etihad as a transfer partner in their system, so less-trained agents claim that Etihad doesn't exist.
thank you
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:53 pm
zzm

Another data point: still having trouble transferring citi thank you points to Etihad.
Traveler56789 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:59 am

i encounter the same error "‘When we tried to complete your Points Transfer, we encountered a system error. Please try again or contact Customer Service for help’" when trying to transfer TYP to Avianca today.

did the issue eventually resolve for you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.