Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)

Subscribe
Quote: Personal card using the first link with 2 AAdmiral Club Passes, offer found on AA website as well. Instant Denial. Automatic phone status check stated offer is for first time applicant only, "our records show you previously owned this card...."

Looks like the 18 months bell curve top now is shifting towards to the right with husband's account joining those who got denied even 18 months passed reported recently. There is a string of denials with only one success, at 14th month mark no less. Encouraged by that so I did husband's app. Alas, he is back to the dog house like in 2012.

So for those of you who got Instant Denial, dont bother to call recon. Check the status at 888-201-4523 first. Chances are you are denied due to the first timer only clause.

Time line
Opened 05/19/13 (at the 14+ months mark)
Closed 04/29/14 due to no fee waiver (took a 3K miles / $500 2 months before, thus negated the fee waiver offer according the retention rep)
Re-applied 11/12/14 Instant Denial

Card prior to May 2013 was denied at 19+ months mark but approved at 21+ months mark. I thought since he was able to get the latest one at only 14+ months mark, his account was out of the unlucky group... Unfortunately I was proven wrong - Looks like husband's account is back to the pool of the unlucky ones as back in 2012.

Should have got him another HH which he had instant approvals on all in this year, instead of wasting a pull on AA.
A couple of weeks ago, Wife applied on the 19th month since last Citi AA application and got a denied letter a few days later due to "...not being a first time card holder..."

So, it looks to me the 18-month is out of the window. The question is what is the new timeframe to apply.
Quote: 1st biz card opened last Nov. Closed both biz acct and master acct. Applied again through the 3rd link. Instantly rej.
"We sincerely appreciate your interest and after carefully considering your application we are unable to approve your request. You will receive written notification with the reasons for the decision. If you have further questions once you receive the letter, please call us at the number listed."
Called recon line. Managed to let the rep transfer my call to a supervisor. After some questions the supervisor told me that he has submitted my app for further review.
Here is the question - when I call the number for checking application status again, I still got the reject response, nothing changed. Is that normal?
TIA
Quote: ...
Should have got him another HH which he had instant approvals on all in this year, instead of wasting a pull on AA.
Would a quick followup application for the HH on the same day resulted in a single merged pull?
Quote: Would a quick followup application for the HH on the same day resulted in a single merged pull?
i thought you cannot have 2 applications within 8 days from each other.(8/65)?
Datapoint: I had active Visa and Amex Platinum cards that were opened together in a 2x50K back in 2012. Earlier this week, I applied for a new 50K MC using the "August" link in the Wiki (last one in the list that still has a landing page) and got to Step 5 chat. The rep approved me after verifying my cell phone number and that I was OK with the CL offered.

My last Citi app was a 50K HH Visa at the beginning of October.
Quote: A couple of weeks ago, Wife applied on the 19th month since last Citi AA application and got a denied letter a few days later due to "...not being a first time card holder..."

So, it looks to me the 18-month is out of the window. The question is what is the new timeframe to apply.
It was never 18 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

For years and years and years, it's been 12 to 18 to 26 months. In others words, YMMV, and 18 months is simply the peak of the bell curve. But many people need more time between approvals, and some people need less time. And even for the same person, it can vary from application to the next.

Please read up on bell curves (as the term is used in statistics) so that you'll understand what this means. Thanks.

(Citi doesn't publish these rules. We figure them out over the long term from compiling tons of reported datapoints posted on FT.)
Quote: <SNIP>
Time line
Opened 05/19/13 (at the 14+ months mark)
Closed 04/29/14 due to no fee waiver (took a 3K miles / $500 2 months before, thus negated the fee waiver offer according the retention rep)
Re-applied 11/12/14 Instant Denial
<SNIP>
Sorry to hear. My wife and I tried at 17 (failed) and succeeded at 19 in December 2012. Now waiting until January for 18 months for both of us. Hoping for the best.
Citi Business Card Apps
Data Points:
Signed up for Citi Business card 2/2014. Completed spend & received 50K bonus. Closed card (and master acct) 6/2014.
Signed up for a new Citi Business 11/14. Received "Further processing required" msg. card arrived 7 days later. confirmed bonus.

Wife signed up for Citi Business card 6/14. Completed spend & received 50K bonus. Read posts regarding people obtaining a second
business card while having one open. so methinks "what the heck"... Had wife apply for second card 11/14. Received "Further processing required" msg. No card arrived. checked status & it was denied for "Business too new to evaluate". No luck calling recon.

All cards sole proprietorship. ssn for tax ID. 1-5 emps. $0 revenue. All cards applied for using link in wiki.
So I'm pondering why she received "Business too new to evaluate"... If it was because her business was considered "opened" when she received the 1st card.. then I don't see how anyone is able to obtain a 2nd card using same info as 1st card w/o waiting several(?) months. It was >95 days between her apps. Anyway, she canceled 1st card (along with master acct) & will try again in a few months.

Thanks to all the contributors on this forum. Invaluable info.^
Hey guys. I was wondering if I could get your advice here.

I have two personal Citi AAdvantage cards currently open:

AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature -- opened on 03/2012
AAdvantage Gold Visa Signature -- opened on 04/2012

I would like to apply for the AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard to get the 50,000 mile bonus. It has been 31 months since I last applied for a Citi card, so I think I should be in the clear in terms of the waiting period.

I have read the Wiki thoroughly but I wanted to ask for your opinion on whether or not I need to close my "Platinum" account (or possibly both my "Platinum" and "Gold") before applying for the new card.

The currently Citi policy states "This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® account made pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card."

The Wiki claims that you do not need to close existing cards before applying but the language in the policy seems to indicate otherwise.

I am slightly hesitant to cancel the cards because I don't have a very long credit history and these cards make up about ~$10,000 of my ~$30,000 in available credit.

Any advice on what I should do? And / or which specific link I should use to apply for the card?

Thanks again.
Quote: <SNIP>
I have read the Wiki thoroughly but I wanted to ask for your opinion on whether or not I need to close my "Platinum" account (or possibly both my "Platinum" and "Gold") before applying for the new card.

The currently Citi policy states "This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® account made pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card."
<SNIP>
Welcome to FT!

The language quoted does not refer to existing Citi AA card holders, it refers to attempting to get the bonus on an existing card without re-applying. And Citi seems to think that recent is more than 12 or 18 or 26 months. You should be fine. My wife and I have each had 5 personal AA cards open at the same time.

Ike
I have Citi/AA card in 2013 and cancelled about 3 months ago. Today, I applied online today and got rejected. Can I apply for Business card today? Or shall I wait til the 9th day? I tweet Citi and they said you can apply multiple cards on the same day.
First time applied for a Citi AAdvantage Platinum card with the 50,000 bonus offer a week back. Got the welcome letter and but no card received yet.
Today I get a targeted offer for Citi AAdvantage Gold with limited time offer of 60K points (50K for $1500/- spend in 3 months, bonus 10,000 for $5000/- in 12 months).
Obviously this is a better offer. I have not applied yet.
a) If I apply for this , will I get approval and the miles (60K added to the 50K from the Platinum card).
b) Or if I cannot, can I ask Citi to match this offer on my card already approved ?

The language says"If you are an existing Citi/AAdvantage card member, you are not eligible for this offer on your existing account". This is different than the "This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® account made pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card."

Holding on to the hope that this implies I may not get points on the previous application, but may get this if I am applying for this new card.
Got a targeted mail today, 40k AA miles after spending 1,500 in purchases in the first 3 month of account opening. 10k bonus miles after making a total of $5,000 in purchases.

This is for the AAdvantage Gold.
Quote: Welcome to FT!

The language quoted does not refer to existing Citi AA card holders, it refers to attempting to get the bonus on an existing card without re-applying. And Citi seems to think that recent is more than 12 or 18 or 26 months. You should be fine. My wife and I have each had 5 personal AA cards open at the same time.

Ike
It says that the Card offer is not available for existing card members, you would need to close your account so you can apply for another card.
Quote: It says that the Card offer is not available for existing card members, you would need to close your account so you can apply for another card.
NO. You do NOT need to close the existing account. That language has been in these card applications for years and thousands of people on this forum have gotten cards with that language in the application while holding existing identical cards.

If you have no idea what you are talking about please try to refrain from making things up.