Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)

Subscribe
I recently got the Citi AA Platinum Personal Mastercard card and have a question about two of the benefits and am hoping someone here knows the answer. Apologies if it's already been asked.

-Get the first eligible bag checked free for you and up to 4 travel companions.

The T&Cs state

For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling to domestic destinations on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle Airlines, Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., or Chautauqua Airlines, Inc. Up to four customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get their first checked bag free of charge if they are listed in the same reservation. This benefit cannot be combined with any existing AAdvantage® elite program benefits, including any waiver of baggage charges. Please see aa.com for baggage weight and size restrictions. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

Is this only the case if I am booking a paid trip? I ask because I'm going to be redeeming my AA miles for me and another person and was going to pay the tax part of the Award Reservation with my Citi AA card hoping that both she and I get a free bagged checked going to and coming back from Hawaii. It looks like you do per the T&Cs but I almost can't believe they would offer that.

The way it is we could fly AA but the flights aren't as convenient as Hawaiian. If we get free baggage we'll fly AA and save $100 but if we're going to have to pay either way we'll fly Hawaiian there and back.

Secondly - Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back — up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year.

I'm assuming this is regardless of who the AAdvantage miles are redeemed for right? I'll get the 10% back on the miles I spent on both of our tickets?

Thanks in advance!
Quote: Get the first eligible bag checked free for you and up to 4 travel companions.

The T&Cs state

For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled.

Is this only the case if I am booking a paid trip?
Secondly - Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back — up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year.

I'm assuming this is regardless of who the AAdvantage miles are redeemed for right? I'll get the 10% back on the miles I spent on both of our tickets?

Thanks in advance!
I'm pretty sure on the first question. You only have to have an open card, and your FF # on the res a week in advance. It doesn't have to be a paid trip, and even if it is, you don't have to use this cc to pay. You just have to have the card still open.

The question about getting the 10K miles back for a gifted award is more difficult. I'd like to say yes, but you'd probably be better off asking a disAAvantage CSR , just to be sure.
Quote: Secondly - Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage® miles back — up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year.

In my experience, yes, you should get back 10% of your total redemption regardless of who the tickets were for.
Quote: Yes they did. It is the first time I have seen this. I never knew that CC companies do this, maybe it is exclusive to Citi.

And where they listed "expiration date" they wrote "Temporary expiration date" and gave me a date like - 12 or 15 days ahead. I guess they figure that the card will arrive by that time. So they give you enough online to get you going (assuming one gets approved, of course).

If people need instant credit (and I mean instant) this may be the card for them.
Never heard of this in the past-- are you sure the "virtual" card did not have a restriction like it could only be used to book an AA purchase? That has happened in the past with some loyalty cards.
No restrictions. Only the post-date 15-day temporary expiration date.
My wife called recon line and eventually was given a too many inquiries reason for denial (had only 2 HP when applied!! and 740+ score!)... but it went down a little odd, they asked to review and call her back, which they did soon after. The rep indicated it was a 'system denial' and could not be overridden. This was a second attempt at recon after a first rep earlier in the day denied for too many inquiries without really listening to further information... has anyone heard of this 'system denial cannot be overridden' ? Also, i'm curious if they take 'notes' for each call, wondering if a 3rd recon attempt in a day or two is a smart option or risk negative notes?

Appreciate any feedback. TIA.

Edit: This was for Citi Plat 50K Personal offer.
Quote: My wife called recon line and eventually was given a too many inquiries reason for denial (had only 2 HP when applied!! and 740+ score!)... but it went down a little odd, they asked to review and call her back, which they did soon after. The rep indicated it was a 'system denial' and could not be overridden. This was a second attempt at recon after a first rep earlier in the day denied for too many inquiries without really listening to further information... has anyone heard of this 'system denial cannot be overridden' ? Also, i'm curious if they take 'notes' for each call, wondering if a 3rd recon attempt in a day or two is a smart option or risk negative notes?

Edit: This was for Citi Plat 50K Personal offer.
Shoot, that makes me nervous to apply. I have 3 HPs within 3 months.
Quote: My wife called recon line and eventually was given a too many inquiries reason for denial (had only 2 HP when applied!! and 740+ score!)...

Also, i'm curious if they take 'notes' for each call, wondering if a 3rd recon attempt in a day or two is a smart option or risk negative notes?

Firstly, never ever believe anything a Citi CSR says during a Recon call. It is clearly stated in the Wiki that Citi CSRs are clueless. When they don't know the correct answer, which they usually don't, they make up plausible reasons. Plausible to them, that is, not plausible to anyone who has been reading this thread for awhile.

2 HPs is not enough for a denial. That doesn't come into play until you have at least 6, and can easily go twice that or more with extensive credit history with Citi.

System denial simply means the computer has issued a denial for some reason that the CSR cannot override. Perhaps 3 apps within 65 days, or something else that is a denial for everyone every time.

As for "notes", I have no idea, but there are numerous data points of folks calling back after at least 2 previous Recon calls and then getting approved. Make a minimum of 3 attempts.
Quote: As for "notes", I have no idea, but there are numerous data points of folks calling back after at least 2 previous Recon calls and then getting approved. Make a minimum of 3 attempts.
is this scenario plausibly true for Chase and AMEX as well?
Quote: I'm pretty sure on the first question. You only have to have an open card, and your FF # on the res a week in advance. It doesn't have to be a paid trip, and even if it is, you don't have to use this cc to pay. You just have to have the card still open.

The question about getting the 10K miles back for a gifted award is more difficult. I'd like to say yes, but you'd probably be better off asking a disAAvantage CSR , just to be sure.
Quote: In my experience, yes, you should get back 10% of your total redemption regardless of who the tickets were for.

Thank you both for the reply. Random question but does anyone know if it's possible, and if so how, to redeem BA miles on AA metal and somehow get your AA FF # on to the ticket so that you would get the free checked bag?
Quote: Thank you both for the reply. Random question but does anyone know if it's possible, and if so how, to redeem BA miles on AA metal and somehow get your AA FF # on to the ticket so that you would get the free checked bag?
A simple Google search would net you your answer.
I just returned from two trips using Avios on AA metal w/ my AA FF# on it.
Brugge

Is this true of the business cards too? I got 4 exec cards this year and Citi sent me a mailer with the 50k business card offer. Do I go for it?
Quote: A simple Google search would net you your answer.
I just returned from two trips using Avios on AA metal w/ my AA FF# on it.
And how did you do it?

Did you
  1. put in your AA# when you redeemed your Avios on BA.com where your Avios # was initially?
  2. go the Finnair.com route and if so do you need an account or just do it without one?
  3. call BA or AA customer service and ask them to do it for you?
Quote: Brugge

Is this true of the business cards too? I got 4 exec cards this year and Citi sent me a mailer with the 50k business card offer. Do I go for it?
I don't know, I have never had an Citi bus card. I do know that when folks are sent targeted offers for the personal Plat cc, even when they just got one a month ago, and aren't usually able to apply again for 18 months, that the targeted offer has always worked. So that seems positive for the Bus cc. But Bus rules are different from personal. Hopefully someone else can answer this for you.

Wait, I just reread your post. Do you not have an AA Bus cc yet? If you have never had an AA Bus card, you most certainly DO go for it. There is nothing better than a targeted offer, and if you haven't had that card before, you should be a shoe in for approval. The personal cards shouldn't be a problem at all.
Quote: And how did you do it?

Did you
  1. put in your AA# when you redeemed your Avios on BA.com where your Avios # was initially?
  2. go the Finnair.com route and if so do you need an account or just do it without one?
  3. call BA or AA customer service and ask them to do it for you?
Please discuss this kind of stuff in the AA forum, where there's already a thread about exactly what you're asking about:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nging-ffn.html

This forum is about credit cards, and your question has nothing to do with credit cards.

Thanks.