Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014)

Subscribe
Quote: Longtime lurker. first time poster. As a Data point, In my wife's churn yesterday I decided to play it safe and use the wiki link for 50k AA mastercard as she has had Visa for 17.5 months. Never had MC. It was under review and app. status line above says it was rejected as offer is for first time Aadvantage card holders. I had thought mastercard would be safer after reading some of the first posts yesterday indicating visa was no longer churnable and was very close to old 18 mo. requirement anyway.
Thanks for the data point. Great first post even if it was bad news!
Quote: I was so ready to grab two more AA cards! Is it safe to assume this will not apply to having a personal and a business? Maybe I'll just go for the Business instead. Wondering if the shutdown may have something to do with re-positioning for a new card offering for combined USAir and AA mileage accounts....
No, go ahead and apply for the Biz card after 90days or so after personal card. Biz cards are not consider the "same" card as the personal.

No, dont think the June-Aug Wiki link freeforall was due to the US and AA merger, think it was more a glitch or loophole that they finally worked out and closed.
maybe they just finally hit their goal of X number of new cards/customers ?

either way, that sucks.

was going to get the MC as my 3rd card...
When does 18 month period commence
Do you have to wait 18 months from the end of the month when you cancelled your last AA card or is it 18 months from when you GOT the last AA card? If it is 18 months from when you last got an AA card, can you still have this card or did you have to have cancelled sometime within the last 18 months?
Quote: maybe they just finally hit their goal of X number of new cards/customers ?

either way, that sucks.

was going to get the MC as my 3rd card...
yup..grabbed 2 for myself and the 9th day for my wife's 2nd was today.oh well
Got two for myself and two for the wife. 200k net.

Was just going to sign up for the MC this morning when I saw that the churning is dead
Quote: Do you have to wait 18 months from the end of the month when you cancelled your last AA card or is it 18 months from when you GOT the last AA card? If it is 18 months from when you last got an AA card, can you still have this card or did you have to have cancelled sometime within the last 18 months?
Read the Wiki people!
Quote: Was just going to sign up for the MC this morning when I saw that the churning is dead
Same here! =( Was hoping to get Plat Visa #3 today. No other Citi cards I'm interested in right now, so will skip Citi for this AOR...
In the interest of keeping old (ancient) data out of the wiki, this info has been removed from the wiki and replaced with a link to this post. Please note this only applies to older offers that came with Admirals club passes and statement credits:

14. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

15. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit. The credit will be issued on statement with the qualifying transaction.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

16. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

17. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
2 data points here of denials for a previous AA card applied for 15 months ago and CLOSED, and one for having been opened 17.5 months prior. So not even with a prior AA card closed was he able to get the approval. I'm surprised on the 17.5 month one too. Brutal.

Will be interesting to see what other data rolls in, but it looks like for now we have to wait quite awhile again at least for the 50k cards (both Visa & MC have been tested).

Would be interesting for those trying the Citi Gold 25k card and for those who continue with the business card. Business card generally hasn't been a problem.

Quote: Here's a data point.

Never had Citi AA visa. Had a Citi AA Amex (opened ~15 months ago, already closed).

Applied today for the Citi AA visa. Denied because I have had an AAdvantage card in the past.
Quote: Longtime lurker. first time poster. As a Data point, In my wife's churn yesterday I decided to play it safe and use the wiki link for 50k AA mastercard as she has had Visa for 17.5 months. Never had MC. It was under review and app. status line above says it was rejected as offer is for first time Aadvantage card holders. I had thought mastercard would be safer after reading some of the first posts yesterday indicating visa was no longer churnable and was very close to old 18 mo. requirement anyway.
Quote: No other Citi cards I'm interested in right now, so will skip Citi for this AOR...
Any data points on whether Citi is applying this one card only policy to their HHonors cards? I'm used to churning one or the other every 100 days. Even after the devaluation, I still think 50K points, with no fee, is worth something at mid level Hiltons in Europe with free internet and BF. And two free weekend nights at very expensive properties in London and Rome sure seems worth the less than $50 a night AF.

But I have one of each right now, and a recent AA card. I'm worried Citi will be basically "dead to me" for 2 years.
Quote: So not even with a prior AA card closed was he able to get the approval. I'm surprised on the 17.5 month one too. Brutal.

Not really. Myself and several others use to post about the best minimal wait time between apps for Citi AA cards (when it was not churn friendly). I use to advise waiting at least 22 -24 months for those that want at least 90% chance of getting it. This would help those that didnt want or couldnt afford to waste a hard pull.
For others that dont do AOR and couldnt care less about hard pulls then I use to say start taking your chances at 18mts at the min. as this was normally about 70%-+ chance of getting approval. Waiting less than 18 mts and the odds drops further, so 17.5mts is not a surprise for turndown and wasted hard pull but agree being so close it is brutal to watch.
data point
Two applicants to the 50k mc personal card in the wikipost link.
Both first opened the citi visa personal card in 1/2011, closed the card in 2/2012.
Both instant approval.
Just FYI...
Quote: Two applicants to the 50k mc personal card in the wikipost link.
Both first opened the citi visa personal card in 1/2011, closed the card in 2/2012.
Both instant approval.
Just FYI...
It really matters when these applications were made. Today? Saturday?
Quote: Two applicants to the 50k mc personal card in the wikipost link.
Both instant approval.
Just FYI...
Were the new applications and approvals today?