FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1475783-citi-aa-credit-cards-except-executive-2013-2014-a.html)

ninim2200 Sep 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23552416)
Now we need someone to risk a HP and a denial to find out if OP's wife was just very lucky, or if the rules have changed again. I've already done my 2 apps in 65 days. Any volunteers?

if anyone willing to volunteer these are the variables for that situation:
  • Exec account was opened and closed
  • never applied for platinum before
  • it fits the citi timelines 8/65

236Dakota Sep 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 23543335)
It depends on what you mean by "this". That churning business AA cards is very YMMV, that I have heard of lots before.

But of one of us being told on the phone by a Citi CSR that 18 months is the amount of time to wait, that I don't remember ever reading about before. (AFAIK, the 18 month "median" number for personal cards was arrived at by FTers correlating oodles of data points over the years, ie by "crowd sourcing".)

236Dakota, did the CSR actually give you "18 months" without you ever mentioning it? Or are you just abbreviating, as in you asked if you had to wait 18 months and they said yes?

The CSR made the 18 months statement without me ever mentioning it. That took me a bit by surprise. The only thing I said on the phone, other than answering the usual identity questions, was that I was checking on the status of my business card application.

ninim2200 Sep 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota (Post 23552552)
The CSR made the 18 months statement without me ever mentioning it. That took me a bit by surprise. The only thing I said on the phone, other than answering the usual identity questions, was that I was checking on the status of my business card application.

did you use an EIN with your application for an actual business?

somy Sep 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Just got denied for a 2nd Citi-Business Card

Cancelled the first one a month ago. Applied again just over 3 weeks after that. Application was pending further review. Received a letter yesterday saying "The card is only for 1st time Citi AA account applications". Don't know what this means as this can be churned. While cancelling my previous card I did mention to close both my account and master account. How can I confirm that it did happen as expected and that is not the issue for me not getting approved this time? Any help.

236Dakota Sep 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 23552576)
did you use an EIN with your application for an actual business?

SS#

Brugge Sep 20, 2014 10:29 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 23552525)
if anyone willing to volunteer these are the variables for that situation:
  • Exec account was opened and closed
  • never applied for platinum before
  • it fits the citi timelines 8/65

To fit the OPs conditions, yes. But if the rules have changed enough to allow approval under those conditions, they may also have changed enough to allow approval under other conditions. We could be back to "wide open" like last summer before the EXEC existed, and only an "heroic app" will find out. :D

Well, heroic if it works, foolhardy if it doesn't... Who feels lucky today?

ninim2200 Sep 20, 2014 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 23555548)
To fit the OPs conditions, yes. But if the rules have changed enough to allow approval under those conditions, they may also have changed enough to allow approval under other conditions. We could be back to "wide open" like last summer before the EXEC existed, and only an "heroic app" will find out. :D

Well, heroic if it works, foolhardy if it doesn't... Who feels lucky today?

i didn't feel it today so i went for different card for my wife.

artsy1 Sep 20, 2014 5:25 pm

unlinking card from online account?

I closed out my AAdvantage Amex and Visa cards over a year ago, (and I'm definitely past 18 months from the original approvals), but I still see both cards listed as closed accounts when I log in to review charges on another Citibank card (non-AA) I still have open. Does anyone know if I need to "unlink" these cards from my user ID before applying for a new AAdvantage card to try to get the bonus again? It's unclear to me if the fact that these closed accounts show in my online profile will have any impact on whether or not Citi gives me a bonus again.

Also, can someone confirm that the 12 - 26 month guideline for churning is from the date the card was OPENED and not the date it was closed? I read this in a few places, but would appreciate some reassurance since I'm well past the two year mark from original approval but not closure of the personal cards.

Thanks in advance! You guys helped me and my significant other get to Israel business class for free!

sdsearch Sep 21, 2014 8:07 am

Originally Posted by artsy1 (Post 23556933)
I closed out my AAdvantage Amex and Visa cards over a year ago, (and I'm definitely past 18 months from the original approvals), but I still see both cards listed as closed accounts when I log in to review charges on another Citibank card (non-AA) I still have open. Does anyone know if I need to "unlink" these cards from my user ID before applying for a new AAdvantage card to try to get the bonus again? It's unclear to me if the fact that these closed accounts show in my online profile will have any impact on whether or not Citi gives me a bonus again.

Also, can someone confirm that the 12 - 26 month guideline for churning is from the date the card was OPENED and not the date it was closed? I read this in a few places, but would appreciate some reassurance since I'm well past the two year mark from original approval but not closure of the personal cards.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, artsy1.

Second question first: Yes, it's also explained in the Wikpost at the top of this page. Citi doesn't care about when you closed or even whether you closed, it only cares about how long it's been since the previous most recent account was opened.

And once you know that, that would make your first question irrelevant (since it only has to with closing).

artsy1 Sep 21, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks, sdsearch. That's reassuring.

brownie20 Sep 22, 2014 4:31 pm

family member applied a little less than 16 months after last approved AA card and was denied for being a previous cardholder. patience is truly not one of my strengths :p i thought they might be approved because they were receiving targeted mail from citi for the AA 50K cards but i guess those mailings don't mean much...

sdsearch Sep 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by brownie20 (Post 23565933)
family member applied a little less than 16 months after last approved AA card and was denied for being a previous cardholder. patience is truly not one of my strengths :p i thought they might be approved because they were receiving targeted mail from citi for the AA 50K cards but i guess those mailings don't mean much...

Did they apply using the targeted mail link, or did they apply using one of the links posted here?

mxhjustin Sep 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks so much. Did the 2nd one and will see whether I can get a new business card next month.

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 23526194)
If you're about to close your biz card account, log into your Citi biz account online, then look at the drop down for accounts. One of those will have the last 4 digits of your biz card; that's your card account. The other will have different set of last 4 digits which don't match your biz card; that's your master account. Now that you have the last 4 digits of both: Send a secure message to Citi asking them to close both the card account ending in CDEF and the master account ending in MNOP.

If you recently closed your card account, and you can still log in and see it online, then use a variation of the above technique, where you send a secured message asking only to close the master account (giving its last 4 digits), since the card account is already closed.

But if you closed your card account so long ago that you can no longer log in and see it, I don't know how you find out your master account last 4 digits, and thus I don't know how you explain to Citi what exact account you want to close.

sarrisa Sep 25, 2014 10:43 am

Same letter for me. I logged in my account and both master and card accounts are closed. I did used the same name for the business?? if that matters? And I was just getting started! I got this card 6/22/2013 and 4/21/2014 and hoped for it again. Do you think it's because I had the same business name? I close the accounts 7 days before applying for a new one. Wondering if I should try again since I don't think they pulled my credit.

Originally Posted by somy (Post 23552666)
Cancelled the first one a month ago. Applied again just over 3 weeks after that. Application was pending further review. Received a letter yesterday saying "The card is only for 1st time Citi AA account applications". Don't know what this means as this can be churned. While cancelling my previous card I did mention to close both my account and master account. How can I confirm that it did happen as expected and that is not the issue for me not getting approved this time? Any help.

slhansen219 Sep 25, 2014 4:53 pm

OK... I know this isn't the thread for the discussion on this... but I know you guys know the answer! I want to cancel my business card (in hopes on getting another soon) yes... i know i need to cancel both accounts. Now... my question is... should I have my credit limit lowered on this acct prior to cancelling?? When I got the card, they wanted to give me $15k but I insisted on $10K... should I lower it to $5k like the Exec or is there no LOW limit on the business card?? Thanks for your help! This is my second card.... ;-) I've been lucky so far!!!!