Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 12, 13, 11:09 am   #1

Recon call for too many inquiries - Citi or Amex?

Anyone have success ever on an recon call after being denied for too many inquiries on Citi or Amex? Worth a shot, or do I have to work the freeze report game now with Experian..
beagleflyer1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 13, 1:12 pm   #2
2014 Secret Santa

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Plat; United 1K; National EE;
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977 View Post
Anyone have success ever on an recon call after being denied for too many inquiries on Citi or Amex? Worth a shot, or do I have to work the freeze report game now with Experian..
No harm trying. My first credit card came this way after I kept trying and finally an Amex agent on the phone gave in.
sahiljain22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 13, 1:16 pm   #3

Quote:
Freezing does not work with Citi or Amex.
gloreglabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 13, 1:16 pm   #4

In my experience Citi does not budge if you get denied for too many inquiries. Even writing to the executive office did nothing.
compddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 13, 2:37 pm   #5

Programs: HHonors Diamond; AAdvantage 1.5MM
Quote:
I don't know, but do you care to share how many you have in last year? I know many on here report that they drop off in a few months, however when I applied for my 2nd Barclays card I was asked why I had opened so many accounts in the last year (7). I was approved during that recon call making it my 8th at that point, but cooled off on the apps for awhile.
isle-hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 13, 4:15 pm   #6

Programs: United, Delta, US, AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by compddd View Post
In my experience Citi does not budge if you get denied for too many inquiries. Even writing to the executive office did nothing.
I was denied for the Citi Forward a few times with the reason "too many inquiries." I think wrote a letter to the executive office, and the card was approved. This was a few years ago though. Generally, I don't have any issues getting a card approved with Citi now, I just have to offer to move credit around.
chrisj500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 13, 8:06 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM Kryptonium Ham Sandwich GAMER, UA Plat, US, PC Plat, IHG Amb., SPG Gold, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
I don't know, but do you care to share how many you have in last year? I know many on here report that they drop off in a few months, however when I applied for my 2nd Barclays card I was asked why I had opened so many accounts in the last year (7). I was approved during that recon call making it my 8th at that point, but cooled off on the apps for awhile.
Inquiries stay on your credit report for two years.
Old Jun 12, 13, 9:17 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
Why "cool off"??

They gave you the card, didn't they?

They try to make you fear your "credit score", to try to keep you from getting too many of their points.

IMO, we need to get beyond fearing the cc companies, and take all their points...
ChurnBabyChurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 13, 9:20 am   #9

I've had zero success with Citi in calling their reconsideration lines. Their reconsideration lines seem to have no power to do anything unless there was an error made on the credit report. Writing them DOES work, I just did it for a CitiAA card earlier this year after being denied for too many inquires.

I've never been denied by Amex so I have no personal experience with their reconsideration lines.
tys90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 13, 1:48 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurnBabyChurn View Post
Why "cool off"??

They gave you the card, didn't they?

They try to make you fear your "credit score", to try to keep you from getting too many of their points.

IMO, we need to get beyond fearing the cc companies, and take all their points...
lol - we all want to maximize our miles/points. I look at this as a marathon and do not want to ever get denied for the next great deal when it comes out - or worse yet get blacklisted by one of the major issuers. It is beneficial to understand where that line is, always understanding that YMMV but the datapoints help me gauge where that line might be for each of the issuers.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Jun 13, 13 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jun 13, 13, 1:55 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Inquiries stay on your credit report for two years.

I understand, however many on FT report that the issuers only care about the last 3-6 months. While I think that it was true in the past and may still be true for some or all the issuers when the computers are making the auto-determination, I know that at least some of the CSRs when doing manual review are looking at either or both new apps in the past year-or two or new accounts in the last year or two.