Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points now transferable to Hilton HHonors [Premier, Prestige, Chairman]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi ThankYou Points now transferable to Hilton HHonors [Premier, Prestige, Chairman]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by likry2000
... TY account still shows same number of points expiring in 90 days.
ThankYou does not allow points which are due to expire within 90 days to be transferred to another ThankYou account. It's possible that their system is also applying this rule to Points Exchange transactions, and the points were deducted from another bucket. This is probably not their intention, but it may prove difficult to explain and have corrected.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
Thanks mia. I just thought I'd test it out since it's new. Seems it is a no go with the expiring points. Too bad.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:18 pm

As noted above, I was able to transfer expiring points. Mrs. Lkar had about 400 TY points in an account. I closed a citi premier, but just befor I did, I transfered 3650 to Mrs. Lkar. They were set to expire in February. I transfered 4k from Mrs. Lkar's account to Hilton without a problem. The vast majority of those points were set to expire. Moreover, the 50 points in Mrs. Lkar's account are not set to expire, so it took the expiring bucket first.

There might be an issue here with why the points are set to expire (e.g., that they were xfered in v. account closure). Also, maybe it worked for me because my transfer combined expiring and regular points.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbbi
in the FAQ, it says: "4. Can all ThankYou® Points be exchanged?

No. Taxable Points and Points that are made unavailable for redemption due to signs of fraud, abuse or suspicious activity in your ThankYou Member Account or due to your failure to make the required minimum payment due on your participating Citi credit card account by the payment due date are not eligible for exchange.

Taxable Points are Points obtained through activity unrelated to purchases made with your Citibank® Debit MasterCard or with your Citi credit card, as well as Points received for a Citibank consumer or business checking relationship and bonus Points that may be awarded for opening new Sponsor accounts or for signing up for new Sponsor services."

I wonder if the credit card signup bonus TY points can be transferred?

Also has anyone tried to transfer to a HH account under different name? thx
Good question. I'd be curious about this as well.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
what's so valuable about hilton points? can they only be used at hotels?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 5:52 am

This along with MR transfer promotions... Now I really regret transferring 150K AA miles to HH early last year before the link went dead.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:14 am

hmmmm would prob be better redemption for airlines with the 1.33 UNLESS using for hilton in a place like bora bora? thoughts?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond,,B6,DL,WN
Originally Posted by lkar
As noted above, I was able to transfer expiring points. Mrs. Lkar had about 400 TY points in an account. I closed a citi premier, but just befor I did, I transfered 3650 to Mrs. Lkar. They were set to expire in February. I transfered 4k from Mrs. Lkar's account to Hilton without a problem. The vast majority of those points were set to expire. Moreover, the 50 points in Mrs. Lkar's account are not set to expire, so it took the expiring bucket first.

There might be an issue here with why the points are set to expire (e.g., that they were xfered in v. account closure). Also, maybe it worked for me because my transfer combined expiring and regular points.
My expiring points did not transfer to Hilton. I just now bought an Amazon gift card to take care of those. I have never received transferred points into my Thankyou account. They were points from using the shopping portal that were expiring. I also just applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and as soon as I receive that the rest of my points are being transferred to Hilton or spent and I am closing the Citi Premier card.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by flyinghigh2011
hmmmm would prob be better redemption for airlines with the 1.33 UNLESS using for hilton in a place like bora bora? thoughts?
Agree. You need to be getting .67 cents per point for your Hilton redemption to make it worth transferring instead of buying airfare with the points. Perhaps even more since airline tickets bought with TY points earn equity and flown miles, while award stays do not earn Hilton points.

But I don't think it needs to be Bora Bora to make sense. I am looking at a stay at the Times Square Doubletree in July. Four nights, on an AXON award, is 140,000 points. The hotel's rate for those nights is $449. Comparable lodging in the Times Square area at another hotel is running about $379 for my dates -- although I'm not sure I would really call it "comparable" at all. I like the suite, which has a separate room, and I also get free breakfast because I have status. But let's call "comparable" $400 per night.

With NY tax, that's $1836 for a 4-night stay. If I paid for the room and used my citi card with 10 hilton points per dollar, and chose double dipping as my earning preference, I would earn about 42,000 points for the stay. So, my total cost to use points instead of cash is 140,000 points for the reward, plus 42,000 points foregone, or 182,000 points to save $1836. So, basically, I'm getting 1.01 cents per Hilton point or 2.02 cents per TY point of value.

I guess I would break it down even further and say that by not putting $1836 of spend on my citi card, I'm $1836 further away from the $10,000 threshold for a free weekend night. I value a free weekend night as worth about 40,000 points, so about 18 percent of 40,000 points is another 7200 Hilton points that I'm foregoing. Even so, I'm still well into the .97 cents per Hilton point and 1.94 cents per TY point territory.

On an AXON award, $350 per night including tax seems to be about the breaking point.

Originally Posted by likry2000
My expiring points did not transfer to Hilton. I just now bought an Amazon gift card to take care of those. I have never received transferred points into my Thankyou account. They were points from using the shopping portal that were expiring. I also just applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and as soon as I receive that the rest of my points are being transferred to Hilton or spent and I am closing the Citi Premier card.
Maybe having expiring and non-expiring points in there (or later expiring points) helped me. I guess maybe it depends on why the points are set to expire?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:52 am
mia

Originally Posted by lkar
...1.01 cents per Hilton point or 2.02 cents per TY point of value....
If the transfer rate from TY to HH is 1:1.5, wouldn't $0.01 per HH mean $0.015 per TYP?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by mia
If the transfer rate from TY to HH is 1:1.5, wouldn't $0.01 per HH mean $0.015 per TYP?
Holy cow. I just did a whole analysis assuming the transfer rate was 1:2. I am sleep deprived. Well, I'll leave it up for the methodology, since I think often people forget about points foregone when they do their calculations, and with Hilton, that's a big number since points earnings with the 10x card and elite status are significant.

But, of course, you're right. Without redoing all the math, it looks like the breakeven is much closer to my original $400 example -- maybe a touch below, or around $390 per night on an AXON. Of course, taxes play a huge role. The higher the occupancy tax a city has, the more you save by using points -- both because you don't have to pay tax on reward redemptions and also because you don't earn points on the tax component of the charge when you pay cash. So, NY may be a bit unfair, since the tax is 14.75 percent. $400 seems like a good yardstick.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I would just go by the transfer ratio of 1 TYP = 1.5 HHonor pt, or the reverse ratio for the calculation purpose only, that 1 HHonor = 0.67 TYP (1/1,5) to figure out the "value" of a transfer for meeting a specific purpose.

It goes without saying that this only works in high value HHonor redemption and yes, it does not need to be Bora Bora - just need to be in expensive locale, NYC or European Capitals or Hong Kong, Singapore and the like.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by mia
2 TYPs give 3 HH points. Thus, 3 HH points are worth $0.0266 (2 TYPs) and each HH is worth $0.0088.

Last edited by jeelele; Jan 13, 2013 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 12, 2013, 3:39 pm
mia

Originally Posted by jeelele
2 TYPs give 3 HH points. Thus, 3 HH points are worth $0.02 (2 TYPs) and each HH is worth $0.067.
TYP are worth $0.0133 each. If your account is eligible to use Points Exchange (to Hilton) it is also eligible for the $0.0133 airfare redemption rate.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeelele
2 TYPs give 3 HH points. Thus, 3 HH points are worth $0.02 (2 TYPs) and each HH is worth $0.067.
You omitted an important 0. It is 0.0067, and it is a COST.

Originally Posted by mia
TYP are worth $0.0133 each. If your account is eligible to use Points Exchange (to Hilton) it is also eligible for the $0.0133 airfare redemption rate.
I think it is a misnomer to say each HHonor pt is worth 0.0067.

I prefer to view it as each HHonor pt costs 0.0067 to acquire because of the 0.0133 worth of each TYP.

So in essence with this transfer ratio, you are paying 0.0067 for 1 HHonor pt. That is way too high to pay because in ordinary cases HHonor pt only worth 0.005 in redemption value.

If you need some extra to reach a certain reward level, then it is OK to pay such cost. Otherwise it is a waste of your TYPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.