Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I have a question regarding Citi TYP expiration, and I trust board experts more than a Citi rep. I have a Citi Premiere card for which I earned 55,000 points this year with the 50,000-point intro promo. The annual fee is due in November. If I signed up for a Citi checking account to earn TYPs, and the points posted in time, could I cancel the credit card before the annual fee is due in November and retain the 55,000 points? Or would they be lost if I canceled the card and didn't burn the points first?

I'd like cancel the card and hang onto the TYPs if I can.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
I have a question regarding Citi TYP expiration, and I trust board experts more than a Citi rep. I have a Citi Premiere card for which I earned 55,000 points this year with the 50,000-point intro promo. The annual fee is due in November. If I signed up for a Citi checking account to earn TYPs, and the points posted in time, could I cancel the credit card before the annual fee is due in November and retain the 55,000 points? Or would they be lost if I canceled the card and didn't burn the points first?

I'd like cancel the card and hang onto the TYPs if I can.
I'm pretty sure after the account is canceled, you have 60 days to use the points.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

without the checking account you have 30 days to use up the TYPs after cancelling the Premier card.

with the checking account you have 60 days to do so.

so getting a checking account buy you an additional 30 days to hang on your TYPs.
dbuckho likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:46 pm

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations

Originally Posted by mia
Points can be transferred from one ThankYou account to another which would make it easier to transfer to an airline...
Note, from the T&C: "You may transfer some or all of your available qualifying ThankYou Points as a gift to another ThankYou Member...Transferred Points received expire 90 days from the date they are received."
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Angry

Originally Posted by muji
Note, from the T&C: "You may transfer some or all of your available qualifying ThankYou Points as a gift to another ThankYou Member...Transferred Points received expire 90 days from the date they are received."
Whoa! I did not see the 90 day thing. That's not good! I transferred all of my wife's points to my account. Has to have been more than 90 days ago though I think. Need to check on that!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:40 am

@#$%, i got bitten by those terms, lost 30k points, ugh. Emailing them immediately about this.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
@#$%, i got bitten by those terms, lost 30k points, ugh. Emailing them immediately about this.
Hope things work out for you. It is not surprising that people might be unaware of this stipulation - since normally, in other airline and hotel programs that I am aware of, transferring points or miles to another's account does not have such an expiration clause. It seems that in the process of transferring points online they should make this expiration matter very transparent and clear, perhaps by having the customer check/tick a box which states that they are aware that the points will expire in 90 days.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Expiry of X-fered points

Transferred Points received expire 90 days from the date they are received."
Muji - Thanks for pointing this out! Citi's being quite sneaky. They advertise Points Transfer - but don't mention the expiry bit at all. I thought this was a great feature. but couldn't find the catch!

Now I've gotto find a good use for those points...
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Several dozen
Bite your tongue! Incompetently run organizations create opportunities for assistance in the relocation of frequent flyer miles.

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
That would be nice. It certainly strikes me as odd that the software was set up and is accessible to the CSRs but the program has been cancelled. If Citibank were a competently run organization (note my use of the conditional), access to those screens would be shut down once the transfer plans were cancelled.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Originally Posted by gya007
Muji - Thanks for pointing this out! Citi's being quite sneaky. They advertise Points Transfer - but don't mention the expiry bit at all. I thought this was a great feature. but couldn't find the catch!

Now I've gotto find a good use for those points...
What do you mean.
It clearly says
Start sharing your ThankYou Points today. All you need to begin is:

The recipient's full name
The recipient's ThankYou Member Account Number or corresponding Credit Card or Checking Account Number*
The number of points you want to transfer**
You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions.

*Citi ThankYou Points can only be transferred to another ThankYou Member Account.
**Once points are transferred, recipients will have 90 days to [redeem them before they expire.

It is on the same page as when you transfer.It is right in the terms and conditions. Plus when I called to have someone do it they always made sure I knew about the expiry date.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Originally Posted by FOX85
**Once points are transferred, recipients will have 90 days to [redeem them before they expire.
Its in these footnotes for a reason - and THAT's exactly my point. Footnotes are meant to be read only by the careful folks...

Also, they've got small ads on thankyou.com, that only talk to about points transfer with ZERO mention of expiry.

Anyway, this expiry is new on transferred points. E.g. :SPG doesn't have this nonsense
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:09 am

Hope things work out for you. It is not surprising that people might be unaware of this stipulation - since normally, in other airline and hotel programs that I am aware of, transferring points or miles to another's account does not have such an expiration clause. It seems that in the process of transferring points online they should make this expiration matter very transparent and clear, perhaps by having the customer check/tick a box which states that they are aware that the points will expire in 90 days.
I ended up calling them and acted like I was unaware of the expiration date. He said that the miles expired FRIDAY (july 6th). He said that he talked to someone in the credit card department to see if they can be reinstated and I will hear back in a few days. He did say that when people call over the phone to transfer miles, they make it very clear that they expire in 90 days. I said that I did the transfer online and did not see any such expiration date. He went back and checked and confirmed the 90 days listed in the terms, I said that now I see it too. I recommended that they put that stipulation right on the main transfer page since it's that big of a deal, but we'll see if that feedback makes it up the chain or not.

I will report back if they decide to reinstate my points. Hopefully so since it is only 36 hours past the expiration date!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by FOX85
What do you mean.
It clearly says
Start sharing your ThankYou Points today. All you need to begin is:

The recipient's full name
The recipient's ThankYou Member Account Number or corresponding Credit Card or Checking Account Number*
The number of points you want to transfer**
You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions.

*Citi ThankYou Points can only be transferred to another ThankYou Member Account.

It is on the same page as when you transfer.It is right in the terms and conditions. Plus when I called to have someone do it they always made sure I knew about the expiry date.
...., now I see it... ugh.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:20 am

I recommended that they put that stipulation right on the main transfer page since it's that big of a deal, but we'll see if that feedback makes it up the chain or not.
If they want their customers to be aware of the rules, and want to keep their customers happy, they should take your recommendation.

I will report back if they decide to reinstate my points. Hopefully so since it is only 36 hours past the expiration date!
I would think you'd get your points back, but maybe they'll then want you to use them within a few days. Just my speculation.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:30 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Go to this page and click the orange Terms & Conditions link to read the additional rules:

https://www.thankyou.com/transferPoints.jspx#

In particular:

1. Points earned through banking cannot be transferred.

2. Points already within 90 days of expiration cannot be transferred.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.