Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card (2012 - 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Me think there would be a lot of frustrating customers when they try to use their free night certs at high value properties. It is not uncommon many Hilton high value properties use the trick of room classification to essentially block out award night redemption or jack up the points required to an insane level. This is worse than Marriott's cap on Cat 5 when all high value properties are Cap 6 or 7, because Marriott at least does not limit it to weekend!
Not if you plan carefully as with anything else.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: A few
Me think there would be a lot of frustrating customers when they try to use their free night certs at high value properties. It is not uncommon many Hilton high value properties use the trick of room classification to essentially block out award night redemption or jack up the points required to an insane level. This is worse than Marriott's cap on Cat 5 when all high value properties are Cap 6 or 7, because Marriott at least does not limit it to weekend!
it's over-blown. bora bora is tough but i have not had any problems anywhere else.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:20 pm

No access to AXON nights is also a huge loss vs the surpass.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
Even if you decide to hold citi as your primary for Hilton, you can always go to the no-fee Amex to have access to AXON, right? When you hit AXON's sweet spot, it's fantastic, but I think access to the elite points reductions is more significant, and the fact that citi gives perpetual gold status is a good deal.

I'm actually really surprised to see a card that gives automatic perpetual status at a free-breakfast elite level.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkar
Even if you decide to hold citi as your primary for Hilton, you can always go to the no-fee Amex to have access to AXON, right? When you hit AXON's sweet spot, it's fantastic, but I think access to the elite points reductions is more significant, and the fact that citi gives perpetual gold status is a good deal.

I'm actually really surprised to see a card that gives automatic perpetual status at a free-breakfast elite level.
The perpetual GLD status for $95 probably is the most valuable feature of this card because if HHonor does not devalue it, then GLD at HHonor does have tangible bennie, the free breakfast.

This would be a serious contender to the SPG card which aside from the airline transferability, is inferior in many counts - high initial spend to earn spend bonus, only get SPG GLD after $30K spend, SPG GLD only worthwhile bennie is free internet, no breakfast bennie, no annual free night, AND 2.7% forex fee!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:08 pm

The perpetual GLD status for $95 probably is the most valuable feature of this card because if HHonor does not devalue it, then GLD at HHonor does have tangible bennie, the free breakfast.

This would be a serious contender to the SPG card which aside from the airline transferability, is inferior in many counts - high initial spend to earn spend bonus, only get SPG GLD after $30K spend, SPG GLD only worthwhile bennie is free internet, no breakfast bennie, no annual free night, AND 2.7% forex fee!
It is a contender, that's for sure. On first blush for regular spend, I would tend to give the nod to SPG, because I value SPG at a bit more than 3x of Hilton. But considering that there is the added bonus of diamond if you get to 40k, this modest advantage is overcome.

At 10x for hotel spend v 2x for SPG, this card gets a bit in front, especially outside the US.

SPG may be living on reputation a bit. With Hyatt, Hilton and Sapphire all going to no forex, the SPG stays in my wallet more and more.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:00 pm

Really annoyed because I just pulled the trigger on the surpass card, and just prepaid 5 nights in London and will get hit with forex charges. Oh well, will get this card next year when this one runs out.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
It's one of very few Citi cards that have no foreign transaction fees. I think the only other ones are ThankYou Premier/Prestige, and Executive AAdvantage.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, SW, BA, AAA, AmEX Gold. SPG,Marriott, HHonors
I want a room to sleep in and have a good shower; I rarely eat in hotels. The card that gives me 50k points gives me a basic room at 7500 point or 7 nights after my spend. If you need elite suites, God Bless you--keep the economy going with all your spends. For me a nice firm bed allows me to do all I need to do there, get up and shower, take a walk in the park or business district, find a deli or ma-pa restaurant for breakfast and don't worry about what i could have had as an elite. I get more value from the preexisting card. Your needs may vary.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Two browser approach works for this card

Applied using two browser approach for the new HHonors Reserve card and the regular HHonors Visa Signature card and got instant approvals for both. Credit limit on the Reserve card is 50% higher than the Visa Signature card.

Just checked Equifax and only 1 credit inquiry.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
AXON still is the better product for our family oriented travel...could look into the combo regular Amex Hilton and Citi....except for this single fact: Grand Wailea 2 nights may sway us to dump Surpass early and swap since we're going to Maui next spring.

Planned Sheraton since we're newly minted 50night Plats and use the suite deal...but may go 5 nights sheraton 2 nights Grand Wailea with this option
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by keirnna
What are AXON nights?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:02 am

Amex only award discounts.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by geclub1
Applied using two browser approach for the new HHonors Reserve card and the regular HHonors Visa Signature card and got instant approvals for both. Credit limit on the Reserve card is 50% higher than the Visa Signature card.

Just checked Equifax and only 1 credit inquiry.
Wow, lucky you. Just did pretty much the exact same thing and got waitlisted for both. Can't remember the last time I got instant approval.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:55 am

I would use it only for a churn. Get the benefits and chuck it after a year. I prefer the free Amex card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.