FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA $150.00 Statement Credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1333044-citi-aa-150-00-statement-credit.html)

writebrian Apr 5, 2012 11:38 am

Citi AA $150.00 Statement Credit

The two Citi AA cards I have recently acquired say "up to $150 statement credit" when purchasing from American Airlines. How can I best utilize that little bonus. I don't have any tickets to buy anytime soon. What else does AA sell that I might consider? What have you done to take advantage of it?

TravelMutt Apr 5, 2012 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by writebrian (Post 18341148)
The two Citi AA cards I have recently acquired say "up to $150 statement credit" when purchasing from American Airlines. How can I best utilize that little bonus. I don't have any tickets to buy anytime soon. What else does AA sell that I might consider? What have you done to take advantage of it?

If you have an AA flight soon, you can purchase a drink or crackers on the aircraft and it will trigger the credit.

Or, purchase something small from the AA store. Or, purchase an AA Giftcard ($50 minimum) from the AA store.

From reports, the Amex seems to have some issues with triggering the credit. I didn't get the Amex for this deal, so I don't have any first hand knowledge.

insano Apr 5, 2012 1:23 pm

I applied for a card with $100 credit back, I bought a gift card for AA. You can resell them to most of the major gift card discounters(gift card granny, gift card exchange, etc.) for 80% of their value. They let you either choose an e-code or a physical gift card, I went with the e-code. Regretting that a bit now as the online gift card buyers, in outdated analog fashion, want me to mail them the physical gift card and don't want an e-code even though it would be easier for everyone...

writebrian Apr 5, 2012 2:48 pm

So ANY purchase no matter how small from the AA store will trigger the credit? I thought it was spend $150 in AA store and get $150 back in credit.

Are you saying I can buy AA luggage tags for $20 bucks and get a $150 credit?!?!?!?

sdsearch Apr 5, 2012 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by writebrian (Post 18342224)
So ANY purchase no matter how small from the AA store will trigger the credit? I thought it was spend $150 in AA store and get $150 back in credit.

Are you saying I can buy AA luggage tags for $20 bucks and get a $150 credit?!?!?!?

It depends on the specific offer! What was the exact wording in the offer you did, and/or which exact offer (by short name) did you apply for?

Btw, the main thread about all this is here (in MilesBuzz!):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ey-appear.html

(You don't have to read the whole thread, but if you had read the last half dozen or dozen pages you'd know that there were some offers, such as AWAY7, that gave you the credit for just one snack purchase on board a flight or a way-smaller-than-$150 AA gift card purchase online, but that recently there have been some offers that say you will get $1 back for every $1 purchased on AA, up to $150 or whatever, and with those offers you can't use the trick of buying something cheap and getting the bigger credit.)

jimmy1 Apr 5, 2012 5:00 pm

do you get the whole $150 amount in statement credit or it's like a cashback spend dollar and get dollar up to $150?
$150 is not AA giftcard for AA airlines use right?

writebrian Apr 5, 2012 8:11 pm

So I called and confirmed. It is a dollar for dollar spend. Statement credit will match AA spend up to $150. So I bought a $150.00 gift card from AA.com.

Anyone need to cover some fees on AA anytime soon? ;)

jonny1 Apr 5, 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by writebrian (Post 18343655)
So I called and confirmed. It is a dollar for dollar spend. Statement credit will match AA spend up to $150. So I bought a $150.00 gift card from AA.com.

Anyone need to cover some fees on AA anytime soon? ;)

that sucks the application never said 1$ for dollar
i applied for the 50k promo

davevalo Apr 6, 2012 3:35 am

The rep is incorrect. It is a $150 credit paid on your first statement. Just received mine today.
Also, of you get a $50 gift card emailed to yourself, and don't redeem it by clicking on the link in your email, AA will credit you back $50 within a week. So you get the $150 credit with no AA spend at all. Try it!

pcharles Apr 6, 2012 7:19 am

I assume an award booking fee would not trigger the statement credit?

reft Apr 6, 2012 7:24 am

It depends on the offer

To reemphasize what sdsearch said, it depends on the offer

Earlier offers were a flat $100 or $150 triggered by 1st spend. So $7 spend got you the entire $150 (or $100)

Later offers were (are) $1:$1 up to $100 or $150. Spend $1, get $1. Spend $7, get $7, and so forth.

Since we're reviewing the bidding, purchasing AA miles online happens via points.com, so that won't trigger the credit. (I have no idea how mileage multiplier at the kiosk posts, under AA or under points.com)

sdsearch Apr 7, 2012 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jonny1 (Post 18343877)
that sucks the application never said 1$ for dollar
i applied for the 50k promo

Originally Posted by davevalo (Post 18344935)
The rep is incorrect. It is a $150 credit paid on your first statement. Just received mine today.
Also, of you get a $50 gift card emailed to yourself, and don't redeem it by clicking on the link in your email, AA will credit you back $50 within a week. So you get the $150 credit with no AA spend at all. Try it!

As I already said (just a few posts above), it depends on the specific offer you used. So neither of you can tell the other whether it is 1$ credit for $1 spend or $150 / $100 credit for any spend without knowing what specific offer the other had, and neither of you can say that the rep was wrong telling the other person something different that what is on your offer, if you don't know whether the other person used the same offer.

davevalo Apr 7, 2012 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 18351022)
As I already said (just a few posts above), it depends on the specific offer you used. So neither of you can tell the other whether it is 1$ credit for $1 spend or $150 / $100 credit for any spend without knowing what specific offer the other had, and neither of you can say that the rep was wrong telling the other person something different that what is on your offer, if you don't know whether the other person used the same offer.

Thanks for the clarification. But, what I described above works, If you have the same offer as I did.

iwpingmu Apr 7, 2012 2:03 pm

i bought the AA gift card as well, i did receive the credit on my statement

starbucksisgood1 Apr 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by iwpingmu (Post 18352038)
i bought the AA gift card as well, i did receive the credit on my statement

how long after you make an AA purchase does the $150 credit show up on the statement?