Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:21 pm
mqm

I'm looking to add this to my credit cards and need current info on the companion cert. I saw some discussion on T&C of the cert, but it was a bit old. Anyone have more up to date info?

Specific questions I have: 1) Is the cert available upon receipt of card? 2) Can it be used on any award seat? 3) Are there blackout dates? I hope to use the certs to fly my kids with me Nov 16-22, 2012.

I'm a newbie to this fabulous hobby. Please forgive me if I've missed it in an earlier post...
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by cyin
Applied with first two links on 6/25, no instant approval but chatted for approval on one while calling for the other.

Got cards 6/30, called and confirmed 50K after $3K in 4 months on 7/1. Also confirmed $100 credit after first AA purchase (no minimum). Both CSR's said there was a companion pass, but didn't give a expiration date. This will be interesting to see if it still works.
Did you use the links in the OP? They have a different bonus structure?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:24 pm

[QUOTE=alexro;18824519]
Originally Posted by saacman5033
NOTE: READ THE BELOW LINKED POST #2 FOR A VERY GOOD SET OF GUIDELINES ON CITI AA CARD APPLICATIONS.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14386923-post2.html

Expired, No landing page, but still working

2. $100 statement credit for the first eligible AA purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership, 50k AA miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 1 Companion Certificate after you become a cardmember. Fare classes are H, V, M, L, K, W, G, S, N, Q, or O per this post

Links:

AMEX
VISA

Terms & Conditions

Just tried the 2 browser trick for the links above. It worked!!! Got instant approval and decent credit lines (identical for both cards)!
Just an update on the above post. I got both my cards in the mail on June 30th and I called the same evening to activate them. On the VISA call a robot answered and all I had to do is confirm some information. On the AMEX call I lost my signal during the process and the second time I called I was directly transferred to a human operator. She confirmed all the benefits I was expecting (50k miles after 3k in spending over 4 months, $100 after first eligible purchase within 12 months etc). I don't recall her saying anything about the companion certificate, but I also forgot to ask as I was not particularly interested in that.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mqm
I'm looking to add this to my credit cards and need current info on the companion cert. I saw some discussion on T&C of the cert, but it was a bit old. Anyone have more up to date info?

Specific questions I have: 1) Is the cert available upon receipt of card? 2) Can it be used on any award seat? 3) Are there blackout dates? I hope to use the certs to fly my kids with me Nov 16-22, 2012.

I'm a newbie to this fabulous hobby. Please forgive me if I've missed it in an earlier post...
The companion cert arrives at least one if not two months after the card.

Dont know if you would get the cert with newer expiration date. Many of us who got the certs with June 30 being the expiration date.

No, the cert cannot be used with award ticket. It is companion ticket with a PAY ticket, both the Pay passenger and the Companion must be on the same PNR.

No black out date and virtually all fare classes are eligible.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It is companion ticket with a PAY ticket, both the Pay passenger and the Companion must be on the same PNR.

No black out date and virtually all fare classes are eligible.
Does the pay passenger need to be the card holder? For example I was approved for a visa and an amex. If my wife (authorized user) and I each purchased a ticket could we use the companion tix from each card for our two kids, or could I only use one tix as the card holder per trip?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Does the pay passenger need to be the card holder? For example I was approved for a visa and an amex. If my wife (authorized user) and I each purchased a ticket could we use the companion tix from each card for our two kids, or could I only use one tix as the card holder per trip?
The companion ticket cert has the Primary cardholder's name on it. I dont know how strict they enforce this. I threw ours away already.

On top of that, the ticket must be paid by the AA card.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:51 pm

Citi AA Visa; $100 Off, 50K, Plus

I just applied for this and afterwards I got a message saying they were considering my request, then a window popped up and I got to chat (via chat window) with an agent. She asked me a bunch of questions, then put me on hold a few times, but it boiled down to shifting some credit lines from another card and then cancelling one I wasn't using (and never got around to cancelling). So, I was pleased to get it, and that's 50,000 miles on AA and the card should be here in a week.

I didn't bother quizzing her about the other stuff ($100 credit, companion fare--love those), but the miles replace the ones I used for my daughter to go London in March, so yay! I love this site!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The companion ticket cert has the Primary cardholder's name on it. I dont know how strict they enforce this. I threw ours away already.

On top of that, the ticket must be paid by the AA card.
Thanks. Its just gravy, but sometimes gravy is good.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Did you use the links in the OP? They have a different bonus structure?
Yeah, I used the OP. Sorry if my explanation was unclear. The terms were exactly as stated in the OP, just wanted to mention that there was no indication of an expiration date for the companion pass.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:39 pm

So I applied both at the same type on 2 browsers.
On both I got the "under review"
So I going to call but 3 days have passed and I get a phone call this morning.
I answered and it was Citi. Basically the CS asked if I wanted to move my credit from another CC. I told her yes and it was done. I never asked which card it was.
I just assumed it was the Visa cause I pressed the submit first.
I then checked my email and it turned out they sent me a notice for both card.
So I called again using the reference # for the Amex.
Chatted with the CS and she told me the same thing.
Basically it has a $1k and if I wanted to move some credit over.
I moved some more over to the Amex.
It is kinda strange that while talking to both CSs, neither one asked about me applying for 2 AA CCs.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
Thanks. Its just gravy, but sometimes gravy is good.
Can't use ours because it has the June 30 expiration date. You need to call AA marketing to book. AA marketing insists the travel must complete before June 30. Citi said the ticket must be booked before June 30 but travel can be beyond June 30. AA says No. Citi says when I am ready to book I can call Citi and they would confer with AA... It is just way too iffy and we have no immediate plan to do any domestic travel (it is limited to lower 48), so I decided to just drop it - not going to make a totally unnecessary trip which would incur other expenses such as the Pay ticket itself, the hotels and the rental car, just to use a companion cert. For those who actually have travel needs such as visiting families, this obviously would be a different matter.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Hi I just got this card and I called Citi to confirm the promotion but there's no mentioning of any Companion Cert or Club Passes, just wonder are those still being giving out? Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyin
Yeah, I used the OP. Sorry if my explanation was unclear. The terms were exactly as stated in the OP, just wanted to mention that there was no indication of an expiration date for the companion pass.
It isn't a "pass" in the sense of the WN's. It is a "cert" for one-time use.

You mean you receive the companion cert which does not have an expiration date? This is not what usually it is done. All AA certs carry an expiration date AFAIK, and the code of the companion cert would bring up the details, incl the expiration date in AA marketing's system when you call to book.

Oh, yeah, the companion cert can only be booked via phone call, so that means you are out $25 x 2 on the phone booking fee (the Pay and the companion ticket.)
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi I just got this card and I called Citi to confirm the promotion but there's no mentioning of any Companion Cert or Club Passes, just wonder are those still being giving out? Thanks
When I called on 6/30 the Citi representative that I talked to also didn't mention anything about a companion certificate, but then again if you look above you will see that cyin called on 7/1 and Citi mentioned the certificate, so I guess we will receive it. Probably the CSRs sometimes forget to mention it.

This is assuming of course you are talking about the offer where you spend 3k over 4 months to get the 50k miles. This offer should have a companion certificate but no passes.

If you applied for the one with 50k miles (40k for $2k + 10k after $5k) that one should have passes, but no certificate. Also for that one you wouldn't get $100 after the first AA purchase, but you get up to $100 for qualifying AA purchases (at least that's what I remember reading in this thread). Can't really talk about that one though as I haven't applied for it.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
2 different offers.

One has companion cert but no passes.

One has passes but no companion cert.

In any case, the auxiliary items do not come until several weeks later after you got the card(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.