Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by used_wardrobe
Has anyone had experience cancelling these cards right before the annual fee is due and keeping the miles?

Or do you have to use the miles before you cancel?

And finally, if you need to use the miles before cancelling, do you have to fly or just book before you cancel?

Thanks!
I learned from reading the blogs that you will need to keep the cards open as long as you can so that you can keep that credit history good.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by yoyo
1) I do not know but 18-24 months is the general observation from experiences. Some were able to reapply after 13 months and get approved. YMMV

2) I think it is type of card, not the type of offer. i.e. as long as they are personal AA cards, the amount/type of offer does not matter. You need to wait for 18-24 months in general.

3) Generally true for personal. I am not too sure about Biz cards. There were reports of denial with old Biz still open and reports where one had more than 3 biz open and still get approved if I remember correctly. So again YMMV

4) Likely you need to wait until 18/24 months after Oct last year. But again YMMV. I would rather not waste a credit pull.
^ +1.

The main thing to keep in mind is that it's the type of card, not the stated bonus, that matters. So if it's a Citi AA Visa card, and you were an unlucky sap who go it with a very low or nonexistent bonus, you can't apply for the Citi AA Visa mega-bonus card the next week. In fact, you theoretically can't apply for any Citi AA card (Visa, MC, Amex), except with the "two browser trick" described ad nauseum.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:18 am

So even if I have the citi plat card I can apply again for another citi plat card (same exact card) after 18-24 months? Is that correct? What would be my reason for wanting two plat cards if I wasn't instantly approved?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by felicity5
So even if I have the citi plat card I can apply again for another citi plat card (same exact card) after 18-24 months? Is that correct? What would be my reason for wanting two plat cards if I wasn't instantly approved?
I have 4 AA cards. They never asked me even the last two were not instantly approved. But if they did I would just have said these new shinning cards bring me happiness.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by felicity5
The bonus? Isn't that why we're all here?

If you mean what would you tell Citi, any number of things.

1) I want to have multiple credit cards to separate different types of expenses.
2) I want one to be a primary card and one as a backup.
3) One is a Visa/MC/Amex, and the other is a Visa/MC/Amex and I want to have different cards because not all cards are accepted everywhere.
4) I want to add authorized users and want to keep them on a separate card.

Etc. Etc. Etc.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I applied for the personal AMEX and Visa using the links on post #1 this past Monday, June 25, and was instantly approved for both. I had applied back in April, 19 months after my previous personal cards had been approved, but was denied for being a previous card holder. So this approval came 21 months since my last approval for the personal cards.

Today, June 28, I received both cards, two welcome letters, and an e-mail confirmation saying that my Visa card had been approved from Citi. While activating the cards, I confirmed the 50k miles after $3,000 in spending during the first 4 months, and a $100 credit after the first AA purchase for both cards.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
I applied for the personal AMEX and Visa using the links on post #1 this past Monday, June 25, and was instantly approved for both. I had applied back in April, 19 months after my previous personal cards had been approved, but was denied for being a previous card holder. So this approval came 21 months since my last approval for the personal cards.

Today, June 28, I received both cards, two welcome letters, and an e-mail confirmation saying that my Visa card had been approved from Citi. While activating the cards, I confirmed the 50k miles after $3,000 in spending during the first 4 months, and a $100 credit after the first AA purchase for both cards.

Thanks!
Thanks for posting fresh data which seems to indicate again that 20 months is more the norm these days for most folks as your April applications after 19 months were denied, but the one after 21 months are approved.

People can decide what they want to do instead of asking again and again and again the very same questions - READ, LEARN and ABSORB what others are so kindly to post their experiences and plan your own path accordingly. There is NO GUARANTEE on exactly what would happen, just an educated guess on the Most Likely Outcome if you do XXX. Plain and Simple.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
1) I do not know but 18-24 months is the general observation from experiences. Some were able to reapply after 13 months and get approved. YMMV

2) I think it is type of card, not the type of offer. i.e. as long as they are personal AA cards, the amount/type of offer does not matter. You need to wait for 18-24 months in general.

3) Generally true for personal. I am not too sure about Biz cards. There were reports of denial with old Biz still open and reports where one had more than 3 biz open and still get approved if I remember correctly. So again YMMV

4) Likely you need to wait until 18/24 months after Oct last year. But again YMMV. I would rather not waste a credit pull.
1) why would people insist to know "Why"? Nobody knows why just because this seems to be the most reported data points. That people have greater success to wait at least 18 months to reapply. In fact the very latest fresh data shows that even 19 months was met with a failure, and then 21 months a success.

2) correct. It is specific to AA personal cards.

The past few months data has been, 20+ months work for most people. Of course as you put it, some folks got really lucky and can get another pair in just 13 months. For those who feel lucky, try that. There is no harm done other than a high probability of wasting a pull and got nothing. The choice is individual.

Clarification on 3).

The person who has 3 biz cards confirms that he has 3 different businesses each has its own EIN.

Citi only allows ONE biz card for the same business. If you can convince Citi each business you own, with its unique EIN, yes, you can get a biz card for each of the business.

4) Sound advice.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:49 pm

Thank u yoyo and Crimson 12. I appreciate your replies. I will wait the 24 months to apply.

Happy I always respect your sound advice in reading your posts over the last year since I joined FT. You never steer people wrong.
Felicity
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryanw777
Im sorry, but I am a little confused as well. From that link it appears as though you cannot get any of the CC offers from CitiAA unless it has been 18-24 months. (Unless you apply for them at the exact same time).

1) Why is it 18-24 months? What is the difference between the 18 and the 24 month limits?

2) If you previously got an offer for the 75k, can you get the 50k without worrying since it should be a "different" offer? Likewise, could you get the business or amex offers since they should be different as well if you had a personal/visa offer previously?

3) From my understanding, it doesn't matter at all in ANY way if you currently have a card open, is this correct?

4) To rehash my personal situation. I applied for the 75K offer for both the CitiAA Visa and the CitiAA Amex last October. I received the CitiAA Visa, and was denied for the CitiAA Amex. Am I aloud for ANY offers that are available (ish) now or do I need to wait until 18/24 months after October?
Answered in the order that matters:

4. Last October was 9 months ago, if by last October you mean October 2011.

1. 9 months is virtually certain to not work. The reaon for 18-24 is because 24 is almost certain to work (from a standpoint of not rejecting you for the "first time customer" clause), while 18 has worked for some people but not for many others. So 20 is more likely to work than 18, 22 even much more likely, and 24 virtually certain.

So at this point you have to wait 18 to 24 months since October. Which puts you well into 2013.

(The only exception is a Business card. If you want to try for one of those -- you can't try for 2 of those AFAIK -- it's on a totally independent calendar of the personal 18-24 months that you're 9 months into.)

2. Citi doesn't care which offer you are applying to, relative to which offer you had before. They don't even care which network's (Visa, MC, Amex) card you're applying for, relative to which network's car you already have or had before. All they care about is 18-24 months from the last successful Citi AA personal card application before they'll consider you for another personal card (or two at the same time).

(The absurd but true illustration: Besides AA cards, Citi also issue Hilton HHonors Visa cards. Only HHonors Visa, not HHonors MC nor HHonors Amex. Yet they allow you to (a) apply for two HHonors Visas at the same time and get both bonuses, and (b) apply for another HHonors Visa while still holding a previous HHonors Visa, and get the bonus on the new card. And, btw, with the HHonors Visa card, there is no 18-24 months, there's just the standard Citi credit department rule of 65ish days between Citi personal credit apps of any type, whether you were approved or denied.)

3. No, they don't care whether your cards are open or closed. In fact, there's a theory that a recently-closed card may be a bit worse than a still-open one, in that it's avialable credit may not have "gone into the pool" yet but may not be avialable for "shifting" yet (if you need to grab available credit from some other card you have open in order to be able to open the new card you're applying for). I would therefore recommend that if you plan on closing AA cards in anticipation of applying for new ones, that you close them many months ahead of the new AA card apps you plan to do. Otherwise leave them open so that they'll be they're as an available-credit transfer source should Citi say "we could approve you but only if we can move some available credit from another one of your cards".
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:35 pm

Where does it say 50,000 miles?

I would like to apply for these two cards but I am hesitant as none of the various links I have tried include a banner ad that shows the bonus offers for signing up. I have had problems before assuming that offers applied but then after completing the application, I did not get my miles as they claimed there was no special offer. Of course, I could not prove as there was no banner ad. Anyway, curious if anyone has found a link that actually advertises the bonuses. Thank you.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bkerea66
I would like to apply for these two cards but I am hesitant as none of the various links I have tried include a banner ad that shows the bonus offers for signing up. I have had problems before assuming that offers applied but then after completing the application, I did not get my miles as they claimed there was no special offer. Of course, I could not prove as there was no banner ad. Anyway, curious if anyone has found a link that actually advertises the bonuses. Thank you.
When it says no Landing Page, it means the page that describes the offer details is no longer available. But the application page is still working.

Even if someone can provide you a screenshot of the "offer", it would not do you any good because the official expiration dates are LONG GONE. The offers described in Group 1 expired on 12/31/2011 if I remember it correctly. The offers described in Group 2 expired on 04/30/2012.

So you would have to take a leap on faith based on sooooo many people have reported the links worked and their offers are confirmed by CSR at activation, and guess what? They actually received the bonuses after fulfilling the requirement.

There is NO GUARANTEE, just like most things in life (except tax and death as the old cliche says). But there are educated guess and educated decision. There is always the risky element of not getting the bonus and one could not prove the offer - in this case because all the offers are long expired! If you cannot take the risk then dont.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
Just want to let all know that I applied for the Citi AA Amex card (I have had the Citi AA Visa card since Jan 2011) and I was able to get it approved and confirmed that it has a 50k bonus on 3K spend in 4 months.

I thought I would be greedy and apply for the Citi AA Visa card too but didn't want to push it too much

Thanks everyone!!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:03 am

No real reason not to apply for a second one. If the first is approved then you are no longer subject to the First-Time Cardmember prohibition so you should be able to get two, and it is a free credit pull as they merge. You can only get these cards every couple of years, so you might as well get two at a time.

Originally Posted by floyd777
Just want to let all know that I applied for the Citi AA Amex card (I have had the Citi AA Visa card since Jan 2011) and I was able to get it approved and confirmed that it has a 50k bonus on 3K spend in 4 months.

I thought I would be greedy and apply for the Citi AA Visa card too but didn't want to push it too much

Thanks everyone!!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by dukie570
Possibly a stupid question but I haven't seen anything discussed here and can't get an answer from Citi.

My wife applied for both the Visa and Amex. She didn't have an AA number previously and it said in the application that one would automatically be assigned to her. As far as I can figure out, it doesn't look like was created. Can she just go to AA, create an account and then link it to her two cards? Will it automatically be linked as long as the name and address used are the same? This more of a thing to work with AA on or Citi?

Thanks in advance.
Does anyone have the answer for this? I'm the same situation... Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.