Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Declined

I applied for the business card on Wednesday and was sent an email two days later saying I was declined for "too many inquiries". I called in today but I got a call center in some third world country and was not getting anywhere with the agent and when I asked for the supervisor I was told to call back Monday for the supervisor in the Maryland call center.

A little back story on my recent inquiries:

March-approved mortgage app for a house that fell through (rental property)
May-Chase BA Visa
June/July-approved mortgage that went through (rental property)
September-Citi AA Visa and Amex
October-Barclays US Airways MC
November (seconds before Citi AA app)-Chase Sapphire Preferred

Do I have a chance with the supervisor? I was planning on explaining the mortgage situation stating the first one fell through due to inspection problems. I plan on cancelling my BA visa for obvious reasons. I do need to keep my expenses separate for the rental properties.

I am actually surprised by their decision because I hear of so many doing app-o-ramas every couple months. Any advice from anyone? Any success stories/game plans from people in a similar situation?

PS My credit scores in September after applying for Citi cards ranged from 766 to 788.

Last edited by sweetz_21_83; Nov 26, 2011 at 8:41 pm Reason: Adding credit score
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
I applied for the business card on Wednesday and was sent an email two days later saying I was declined for "too many inquiries". I called in today but I got a call center in some third world country and was not getting anywhere with the agent and when I asked for the supervisor I was told to call back Monday for the supervisor in the Maryland call center.

A little back story on my recent inquiries:

March-approved mortgage app for a house that fell through (rental property)
May-Chase BA Visa
June/July-approved mortgage that went through (rental property)
September-Citi AA Visa and Amex
October-Barclays US Airways MC
November (seconds before Citi AA app)-Chase Sapphire Preferred

Do I have a chance with the supervisor? I was planning on explaining the mortgage situation stating the first one fell through due to inspection problems. I plan on cancelling my BA visa for obvious reasons. I do need to keep my expenses separate for the rental properties.

I am actually surprised by their decision because I hear of so many doing app-o-ramas every couple months. Any advice from anyone? Any success stories/game plans from people in a similar situation?

PS My credit scores in September after applying for Citi cards ranged from 766 to 788.
One piece of advice would be to do your applications more in a app-o-rama style, meaning clustered together. The idea is not to have too many, if any, applications in the last 3 months or so.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:40 pm

Michael_v I agree and I will do that next time around. I actually wasn't planning on applying for any cards after September, but then I decided to do the Grand Slam hence the US Air MC. After BA launched Adios, I am no longer going for the companion certificate on my BA Visa and needed a new primary card so I went for the Sapphire. I got some curve balls, so next time I hope to do things more organized.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
I was declined for "too many inquiries".
Did you check which credit report they pulled, and how many total inquiries are on that report?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Did you check which credit report they pulled, and how many total inquiries are on that report?
(citi) CBSD/PRE02 UFC Date: November 22, 2011

(sapphire-they shouldn't have seen this one) CHASE Date: November 22, 2011

(AA Visa/Amex) CITIBANK Date: September 7, 2011

(Citi bought out my mortgage, I did not initiate this inquiry) CITIBANK/EMS
Date: August 4, 2011

(mortgage app) KROLL FACTUAL DATA Date: June 14, 2011

(BA Visa) CHASE Date: April 13, 2011

(Mortgage app for rental property that did not get purchased due to bad inspection) CSC CREDIT SERVICES Date: March 28, 2011

(See above- I was told mortgage apps w/in 30 days counted only once?) KROLL FACTUAL DATA Date: March 25, 2011

(mortgage refi for my dad's house that took over 30 days so they had to pull a new credit report )KROLL FACTUAL DATA Date: April 13, 2010

(see above) KROLL FACTUAL DATA Date: March 15, 2010

(mortgage refi for primary residence after never-ending remodel which they had to pull another credit report due to time lapse) LANDSAFE Date: March 5, 2010

(see above) LANDSAFE Date: December 4, 2009

So there are a lot of inquiries, but there are a lot that are not really new inquiries. Do I have a chance trying to explain these?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
I searched but it doesn't seem anyone has answered this question yet.

I applied and received the credit card using the 50K, $150 off, and 2 club passes offer. Has anyone received the full $150 credit for buying an AA gift card for $50 (which as far as I can tell is the minimum)?

If not (or even if so), what's the minimum anyone has spent (and how did you spend it) to get the $150 statement credit?

Thanks!

p.s.
I did see that someone got a $150 gift card and received the $150 credit but I was hoping to spend a lot less in order to maximize "profit" on the $150 credit.

Last edited by jgxtrav1; Nov 28, 2011 at 10:53 am Reason: added p.s.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by jgxtrav1

I applied and received the credit card using the 50K, $150 off, and 2 club passes offer. Has anyone received the full $150 credit for buying an AA gift card for $50 (which as far as I can tell is the minimum)?

If not (or even if so), what's the minimum anyone has spent (and how did you spend it) to get the $150 statement credit?

Thanks!

p.s.
I did see that someone got a $150 gift card and received the $150 credit but I was hoping to spend a lot less in order to maximize "profit" on the $150 credit.
I really, really doubt that will work.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: Still new to the game but growing everyday!
Originally Posted by jgxtrav1

Thanks!

p.s.
I'll give you points for creativity but I agree with ossipago in that it's very unlikely it'll actually work. I will say, after reading the T&C's it's not 100% clear how the credit is applied. It's not hard to interpret them as saying you get a flat $150 statement credit after your first purchase from AA regardless of the price.

I went the safe route and just bought $150 gift cards. If you wanted to test the idea, you could buy a GC for $149 and then see if you get credited the $149 back or an even $150. Chances are you'll get $149 but it'll answer the question for everyone and you'll only lose at most $1 in opportunity cost.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott rewards, United, AA, Delta
Citi AA advice needed

I need some advice from FT. Hubby and I both applied and received the AA Citi Plat Sign Visa from the link posted here and got the 75K miles. We just got back from Hawaii where we used the miles, and I am a miles junkie now. I was impressed with the service. Wow! Anyway, question is what to do now. My $85 fee posted and I called to cancel and wasn't offered anything. So I still have the card. It is my understanding I have 30 days from the date the fee posted to cancel and get the $85 refunded. I don't know what to do. I want more miles of course but don't want to pay the fee. I also opened a checking and so did hubby and we closed them a few months ago. We have been using the cards didn't stick them in the sock drawer. I am wondering if I should keep them and pay the fee to take advantage of another checking offer for a few miles. I don't have a job so I don't see how I can apply for another CC in two years for another good offer. Hubby of course could. What is the smart way to handle this? Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:20 pm

I had to call a second time today because I wasn't offered anything during first call (except to change to a no fee card). Second rep offered an $85 credit. Call back and say you want to cancel your card due to the $85 fee. It worked for me.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:42 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
There are several angles to your question...

First of all, if you're looking for day-to-day mileage earning, the AA cards are terrible. Among the worst. If you specifically want AA miles, you should be using the SPG card, which will earn at 1.25 miles/$ with the 20k redemption level bonus.

More importantly, however - if your husband can still get approved for cards and the particular airline doesn't matter, you will almost always earn much more from signup bonuses than day-to-day spending.

So look through the special offers thread and prioritize the offers out there compared to what your travel goals are. Note that most people can get a set of 2 AA cards every 18 months, so you'll soon be up for another set.

When you think you have a plan, post back here and someone can help.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:49 pm
In memoriam

Cancel Citi AA card. Apply for another card or two, e.g. Chase Sapphire Preferred (50K bonus--due this NOW because rumor has it bonus is very soon going to be cut-50K Chase points convert to 50K UAL miles, and you can also get the Chase UAL card with a 40-60K bonus, check FT for the best offer right now) and Amex SPG if you can find a 25K-30K bonus offer.

Also, consider applying for a Citi AA card you haven't already gotten, e.g. Citi Amex AA card.

As to no job, just put yourself down as self-employed and make a supportable estimate of your annual average income.

Remember, even if you get the $85 credit you can still cancel the AA card later.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Also, consider applying for a Citi AA card you haven't already gotten, e.g. Citi Amex AA card.
All the regular personal Citi AA cards run on the same clock, which is generally (very roughly) 18 months between approvals. So the Citi AA Amex would still need to be ~18 months since the approval of the Citi AA Visa.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: UA,SW,AA
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
All the regular personal Citi AA cards run on the same clock, which is generally (very roughly) 18 months between approvals. So the Citi AA Amex would still need to be ~18 months since the approval of the Citi AA Visa.
I received my Citi AA Amex card in August 2010 and haven't cancelled it (use it for various promotions they have). If I'm reading this correctly, I can apply for the Visa Signature version of the AA card and still can get the bonus miles (if offered) in February 2012?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by OAKflyer
I received my Citi AA Amex card in August 2010 and haven't cancelled it (use it for various promotions they have). If I'm reading this correctly, I can apply for the Visa Signature version of the AA card and still can get the bonus miles (if offered) in February 2012?
The 18 months is very approximate. For some people it's 12 months. Some it's 20. But whatever that point happens to be, at that point you can apply for a new set of two cards (Visa and Amex).

Find the expired 75k offer thread, post 2 will tell you all you need to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.