Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: Still new to the game but growing everyday!
Originally Posted by AAsuited
Would buying an AA gift card from the AA site qualify for the 150 statement credit?
I can confirm that buying an AA giftcard works. I bought a $150 GC and was credited back the $150 a few days later when the statement closed. Even better, I got 300 miles from the transaction due to double miles for AA purchases! Going the GC route is a great option if you have no plans on buying an AA ticket within the next year. The statement credit is only good for 12 months but the GC doesn't expire. The only noteworthy limitations for the GC (as printed on mine) are you can't use it towards Admiral's club passes or towards ticket upgrades.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bigft64
I can confirm that buying an AA giftcard works. I bought a $150 GC and was credited back the $150 a few days later when the statement closed. Even better, I got 300 miles from the transaction due to double miles for AA purchases! Going the GC route is a great option if you have no plans on buying an AA ticket within the next year. The statement credit is only good for 12 months but the GC doesn't expire. The only noteworthy limitations for the GC (as printed on mine) are you can't use it towards Admiral's club passes or towards ticket upgrades.
Does the AA purchase need to be $150+ ?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Thumbs up Pay day!

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Well got my new card today with the lesser offer (sans $150 credit) through the fly6 link.

Voicing my concerns about a better offer showing up so soon (away7), I got through to retentions where they immediately gave me an $85 statement credit, an extra 750 bonus miles per month, for each month that I spend $750 for the next 12 billing cycles, and finally a one time bonus of 20,000 AAdvantage miles to post on my next statement cycle date. This of course is in addition to the 50,000 miles I'll get for having spent $2500, and the two 1-day admiral club passes that were part of the sign on offer.
As I was promised, 73,250 miles posted to my AAdvantage account:

2,500 base spend
50,000 for spending the required $2500 in 4 months
20,000 'sympathy bonus' (for lack of a better term)
+ 750 For spending $750 or more in a statement cycle.
_______
73,250 Total miles

...and 7.325% closer to my 2nd million

Also got the $85 statement credit too.

So, for those who signed up for the lesser offer and are looking to get a 'bump', definitely get through to the retention department, they definitely have the tools to make your day better.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:27 pm

just got this offer, i think its a bit diff from others mentioned:

One time $150 statement credit for the first eligible American Airlines purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership1
Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership2 — enough for two domestic round-trip flight awards4
Receive one $99 Companion Certificate — purchase a qualifying domestic round-trip coach fare on American Airlines and pay $99 (plus taxes and fees) for a select economy fare for your companion3

and its for visa sig / amex / business visa. would have been nice had it not been a domestic companion ticket with fees and taxes, as thats all domestic tickets really are, and none of my 3 airports fly AA to alaska. idk if ill apply.

Last edited by drsaith; Nov 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drsaith
just got this offer, i think its a bit diff from others mentioned:

One time $150 statement credit for the first eligible American Airlines purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership1
Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership2 enough for two domestic round-trip flight awards4
Receive one $99 Companion Certificate purchase a qualifying domestic round-trip coach fare on American Airlines and pay $99 (plus taxes and fees) for a select economy fare for your companion3

and its for visa sig / amex / business visa. would have been nice had it not been a domestic companion ticket with fees and taxes, as thats all domestic tickets really are, and none of my 3 airports fly AA to alaska. idk if ill apply.
The difference between this and the away7.citicards.com offer seems to be the companion certificate instead of Away7's two Admirals Club day passes plus double miles on AA purchases for 12 months.

So if the companion certificate doesn't sound like it'll work out for you, think about whether the two day passes for an AA lounge plus double miles on AA purchases for a year would work better (and if so, just use the public Away7 offer).

Meanwhile, did your offer with the companion certificate come with a short website URL to apply at (by "short" I mean one that's easy to retype, like "away7.citicards.com"), or did it look targeted?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
I got a targeted Citi 50k AA offer in the mail, but I recently got approved and got my card for the Citi Business 75K AA. Will I be considered a new customer if I apply for the Citi Personal 50K offer? Can I can pass this targeted offer to my husband who is not on my Citi business card however he was a Citi personal AA customer about 3 years ago? Can you pass targeted offers to other people?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
I got a targeted Citi 50k AA offer in the mail, but I recently got approved and got my card for the Citi Business 75K AA. Will I be considered a new customer if I apply for the Citi Personal 50K offer? Can I can pass this targeted offer to my husband who is not on my Citi business card however he was a Citi personal AA customer about 3 years ago? Can you pass targeted offers to other people?
If you could simply pass targeted offers on, they wouldn't be very targeted, would they? I seriously doubt it.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ossipago
If you could simply pass targeted offers on, they wouldn't be very targeted, would they? I seriously doubt it.
For most banks/cards I agree but this doesn't seem to be the case with Citi or at least Citi AA cards. The famous 75k offers were very much "targeted" with no public landing page available.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:43 am

I just looked up a link on this forum and it takes me to the same offer as I got in my email so I guess it's not very targeted.

Still, do you think I would be considered a new customer if I go for the personal card since I have the business card? Do you think my husband would be considered a new customer after not having a personal card for 3 years?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:48 pm

@sdsearch the url is long (https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001) and the bottom of the email says "This offer is by invitation only and non-transferable." this one also gives 2points per $1 spent on AA:

Two AAdvantage miles for every $1 you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases and one mile per $1 spent on other purchases for the first 12 months of cardmembership.5, 6 After the first 12 months, continue to earn one mile per $1 spent on purchases6
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:15 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Still, do you think I would be considered a new customer if I go for the personal card since I have the business card? Do you think my husband would be considered a new customer after not having a personal card for 3 years?
The short answers are yes and yes. You really should read the second post of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...t-2-first.html
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by drsaith
@sdsearch the url is long (https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3001) and the bottom of the email says "This offer is by invitation only and non-transferable." this one also gives 2points per $1 spent on AA:

Two AAdvantage miles for every $1 you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases and one mile per $1 spent on other purchases for the first 12 months of cardmembership.5, 6 After the first 12 months, continue to earn one mile per $1 spent on purchases6
Good eye on that small print! Thank you! I'm going to apply for the personal today. I'm also going to apply for a Delta Amex Skymiles for 30K at the same time in two browsers. I've just started posting but I've been watching this forum for a while and I am trying to pick up the strategies.

https://www.deltaamexcard.com/Offer/BF2.aspx
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:11 pm

Good eye on that small print! Thank you! I'm going to apply for the personal today. I'm also going to apply for a Delta Amex Skymiles for 30K at the same time in two browsers. I've just started posting but I've been watching this forum for a while and I am trying to pick up the strategies.

NO guaranteeing that link will work for you, considering the email defo said targeted, but you can call and check if you want. they also included links for amex & visa business that had equal bonuses.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Southwest, AMEX MR
I recently applied for the business card and was immediately hit with a "pending" card application. When I called to have the application moved along I was told that I needed to submit some sort of proof of address.

I'm not concerned with verifying the address, but they did give me 30 days to respond. Would it be a bad idea to wait a couple of weeks to submit my proof of address? Would they need to do another hard pull on my credit if I do this, or will they still use the original pull? The only reason I'm considering doing this is to help spread out the timing on spending requirements for all the cards I applied for. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD
Originally Posted by CinSun
I recently applied for the business card and was immediately hit with a "pending" card application. When I called to have the application moved along I was told that I needed to submit some sort of proof of address.

I'm not concerned with verifying the address, but they did give me 30 days to respond. Would it be a bad idea to wait a couple of weeks to submit my proof of address? Would they need to do another hard pull on my credit if I do this, or will they still use the original pull? The only reason I'm considering doing this is to help spread out the timing on spending requirements for all the cards I applied for. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
I'm pretty sure they use the same pull within a 30-day timeframe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.