Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:41 pm
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
As of March 1, 2012 when I woke up in the morning my husband and I had no AA cards, miles, or anything else to our names.

As of April 20, 2012, my husband and I have the following in hand/account, all thanks to this thread:

him - 53,131 AA miles
me - 47,531 AA miles
two Admiral's Club lounge passes
a companion certificate
two $100 statement credits on first AA purchase (unused thus far)

plus the ability for us each to bring a free checked bag for ourselves and up to four companions from now on, which is no small thing to our family!

This is very nice to accumulate in a matter of 7.5 weeks, and I owe it to you lovely FT'ers. ^

edit - also thanks to you guys, within that same time frame I got myself 72,042 Marriott Reward points and a free Cat1-4 Free Night cert. I love FT!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Abubacus
So is the better offer the $150 statement credit with passes or the $100 statement credit with companion pass?

The companion would seem to more than make up the difference if there arent too many restrictions. Has anyone got the pass yet to see the details?
Can anyone help me with this? Applying on Monday and this is my first AA or Citi card. Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Can anyone help me with this? Applying on Monday and this is my first AA or Citi card. Thanks.

While I don't know the fine print on this companion pass, in the past they had fare restrictions that made them undesirable. For example, if you have to pay full fare Y (coach) for the first ticket, many times that is over twice as expensive as discounted coach fares. So if you were able to book the trip a few weeks in advance, it might actually cost less to buy two discounted coach seats than buy full fare coach (Y class) and use the companion certificate.

That is why so many people are still applying for the cards offering 50K after $3000 in spending with $150 statement credit upon first AA purchase and 2 admirals club passes.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:45 pm
GGE

I just got mine in the mail a few days ago (or rather, my husband got his) -- details say:

This certificate is valid for one companion ticket when a qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased.
Valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection carrier. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, valid for round trip travel originating in either of those two states continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.
Reservations must be booked in specific inventories; see reverse side for complete Terms and Conditions. For reservations or additional information, call American Airline Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 and refer to the STAR file at right. (Meeting Services is open 6:00 AM - 12:00 midnight CT, 7 days a week.)

------

The Terms and Conditions on the back are very long, so I will just type up what seems to be the most important information:

This certificate entitles the Citi/AAdvantage cardmember named on reverse to one round trip qualifying economy fare* ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased using the Citi/AAdvantage credit card.

*Qualifying economy fares are: H, V, M, L, K, W, V, G, S, N, Q, or O
(both the fare-paying passenger and the companion must be booked into the same booking code on the same itinerary)

Certificate is non-transferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate OR by his /her spouse/dependant child for travel with the companion of his/her choice. OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS NOT ELIGIBLE TO REDEEM THE CERTIFICATE.

May not be combined with any other coupon, nor AAdvantage Award.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

----

Hope that helps!

(Note - W fare being included seems to be a good thing, since the AA website says that W fares on some of the AA codeshare flights may be a Premium Cabin which would earn 1.5 EQP insead of 1.0 - seems like a chance at 50% more points is better than no chance at all, like all of the other fare options).
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:47 pm
GGE

Hey, this certificate says it expires June 30, 2012. I thought the offer said the certificate would expire 6 months from being issued?

This was just issued at the most around 4/1/2012. What gives?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:59 pm

Hi - could you tell me where is the link for this offer you mentioned:

"50K after $3000 in spending with $150 statement credit upon first AA purchase and 2 admirals club passes"

Originally Posted by jeanie
While I don't know the fine print on this companion pass, in the past they had fare restrictions that made them undesirable. For example, if you have to pay full fare Y (coach) for the first ticket, many times that is over twice as expensive as discounted coach fares. So if you were able to book the trip a few weeks in advance, it might actually cost less to buy two discounted coach seats than buy full fare coach (Y class) and use the companion certificate.

That is why so many people are still applying for the cards offering 50K after $3000 in spending with $150 statement credit upon first AA purchase and 2 admirals club passes.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by joogle

"50K after $3000 in spending with $150 statement credit upon first AA purchase and 2 admirals club passes"
Here are links to posts with the application links in them.

Personal cards
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17341088-post48.html

Business card
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17346900-post52.html

These are the application pages. The landing page with the initial offer is no longer online. But as long as the application link works, people on this board have gotten the correct offer.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GGE
Hey, this certificate says it expires June 30, 2012. I thought the offer said the certificate would expire 6 months from being issued?

Note that this offer was supposed to expire at the end of December (thus the June exp date) so you may have to contact them with the original terms (link in OP) of the Companion Pass to get them to give you a full 6 months. Of course those same terms state that this is good only in applying by Dec 31st so YMMV. Please report back if you have success.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GGE
I just got mine in the mail a few days ago (or rather, my husband got his) -- details say:

This certificate is valid for one companion ticket when a qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased.
Valid for travel on flights within the 48 contiguous United States on American Airlines, American Eagle and the AmericanConnection carrier. For residents of Alaska and Hawaii, valid for round trip travel originating in either of those two states continuing to the 48 contiguous United States.
Reservations must be booked in specific inventories; see reverse side for complete Terms and Conditions. For reservations or additional information, call American Airline Meeting Services at 1-800-433-1790 and refer to the STAR file at right. (Meeting Services is open 6:00 AM - 12:00 midnight CT, 7 days a week.)

------

The Terms and Conditions on the back are very long, so I will just type up what seems to be the most important information:

This certificate entitles the Citi/AAdvantage cardmember named on reverse to one round trip qualifying economy fare* ticket for a companion when an individual round trip qualifying economy fare ticket is purchased using the Citi/AAdvantage credit card.

*Qualifying economy fares are: H, V, M, L, K, W, V, G, S, N, Q, or O
(both the fare-paying passenger and the companion must be booked into the same booking code on the same itinerary)

Certificate is non-transferable and may be used only by the cardmember named on the certificate OR by his /her spouse/dependant child for travel with the companion of his/her choice. OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS NOT ELIGIBLE TO REDEEM THE CERTIFICATE.

May not be combined with any other coupon, nor AAdvantage Award.

No upgrades will be allowed on tickets issued using this certificate.

----

Hope that helps!

(Note - W fare being included seems to be a good thing, since the AA website says that W fares on some of the AA codeshare flights may be a Premium Cabin which would earn 1.5 EQP insead of 1.0 - seems like a chance at 50% more points is better than no chance at all, like all of the other fare options).
Fares that earn 1.5 EQP are a lot higher than those only earn 1.0 or 0.50.

Unless you are trying to qualify Elite status by EQP, otherwise EQP means very little. It is only used for Elite qualifying purpose, it does NOT equal to RDM - Redeemable Miles which I gather is what you (and most here) are looking for.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GGE

Because the card offer expired on Dec 31, 2011. You applied thru an EXPIRED bonus offer but the application link still works and the sign up bonus still honored.

Whether you want to argue the companion cert is totally up to you.

The expiration date of June 2012 is perfectly matching with the Offer expiration date which is 6 months before the Cert expiration date.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are all listed and explained in the Post No.1 of this thread. It is always a good practice to read at least the first few posts of an ongoing thread so you would know what exactly what people are exciting about!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:53 pm

I'll be more specific, it said something about page being expired on the link but it still may work.

Hence, was asking if there is a new link or is this expired now.

Originally Posted by Happy
They are all listed and explained in the Post No.1 of this thread. It is always a good practice to read at least the first few posts of an ongoing thread so you would know what exactly what people are exciting about!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by GGE

Thanks for this. I'll be going for the 150 and club passes.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll be more specific, it said something about page being expired on the link but it still may work.

Hence, was asking if there is a new link or is this expired now.
Citi and in fact Chase also, offers can expired but application pages still continue to work for an extended period of time.

The 2010 75K and 100K offers application pages worked for almost a year after the official offers died and landing pages disappeared until the application pages finally were pulled in the Fall 2011. The link of 2010 75K and 100K offers is found in Post 1 of this thread that direct folks to read the detailed instructions on how to successfully apply the Citi AA cards. You can check that out to see the time line.

Take a look of Chase Marriott 70K offer - that one expired in Nov 2011, but people are still reporting getting bonuses. The thread is often on Page 1 of this forum.

The Companion Cert is preprinted, with the original expiration in design. One can certainly call Citi to ask if one can get a fresh one issued. Though if there is no current offer with Companion Cert, it may be a little hard to get your request fulfilled. Just sayin.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: spg gold
Data point

I used my AA Visa to pay the taxes on an award ticket. No statement credit.
I used my AA Amex to buy a GC and got the credit within three days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.