Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 24, 2013, 12:17 pm

Data Points:

Applied for Personal Citi Select Amex 3/18. Instant approval. 50k bonus posted without issue.

Applied for Citibusiness Visa 3/26 - had to call reconsideration but approved after a few moments. 50k bonus posted without issue.

Just applied (5/24) using the first link - personal visa 50k - for the platinum select and got instant approval. We'll see if those post, but don't expect issues.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by richarddd
In other words, you can apply for two cards if you wait more than one day between apps and you can apply for a third card if you wait more than 65 days (a bit longer in both cases to be safe)?
Right on both counts.

Originally Posted by richarddd
Also, if I understand correctly, you can't apply for the same card more than once every 18 months (more or less). The definition of "the same card" is a bit unclear. For example, a Visa platinum select and an Amex platinum select might be considered the same card for these purposes. If so, do we have a list of which cards are considered "the same card"?
Now I could be wrong but as far as my understanding of this goes, all the "Platinums" are one type of card and the "World" are another and the business cards (irregardless of being "Platinum" or "World") are the third kind.

So the Platinum Select Personal Visa, Amex and Mastercard would be considered to be the same card. People have tried applying for the Plat Visa and then the Plat Amex and were denied.

EDIT: Then again, going by jsmithv's data point, that seems to go out the window. CITI rules are in constant state of flux. Most of our answers are only based upon what we've learnt by the data points submitted here.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Some data points which are purely YMMV
Already have AA MC, AA Visa, AA Amex cards. (Visa and Amex opened 24 months ago)

Applied for 2 citi platinum cards on 5/20/2013.

Used Link 3 for the Platinum card. After the submission, I called citi and was told that the link has expired and I need to re-submit the app with a valid link.

So I applied again through Link 2. Called and was approved.

Today received an email to call citi again for a card application.
Called and approved for another Citi Platinum Visa.
So in total.. two citi platinum visas with one credit pull.

YMMV..
Old May 24, 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
Right on both counts.

Now I could be wrong but as far as my understanding of this goes, all the "Platinums" are one type of card and the "World" are another and the business cards (irregardless of being "Platinum" or "World") are the third kind.

So the Platinum Select Personal Visa, Amex and Mastercard would be considered to be the same card. People have tried applying for the Plat Visa and then the Plat Amex and were denied.

EDIT: Then again, going by jsmithv's data point, that seems to go out the window. CITI rules are in constant state of flux. Most of our answers are only based upon what we've learnt by the data points submitted here.
I was hesitant to apply for the visa because of what I'd read here over the past while - I've been a lurker admittedly. But, went for it anyways thinking I could apply for the gold mc if I didnt get it but to my surprise, was instantly approved.
Old May 24, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Applied with 40k business link on 4/19, got email on 4/22 asking for me to call and confirm addresses, called in and was told need to fax or email proof of business & residential address. Waiting for response now
Old May 24, 2013, 2:43 pm

I opened a Citi VISA Business AAdvantage card earlier this year. Can I now open the Citi MASTERCARD Business AAdvantage card and get the miles?

The authorization email said "Enjoy your new CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card"

The title of the Mastercard on the application page calls the card "CitiBusiness / AAdvantage World Card"

Are they considered different cards for bonus purposes?

Last edited by Hazarrd; May 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm
Old May 24, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by alpen1
Applied with 40k business link on 4/19, got email on 4/22 asking for me to call and confirm addresses, called in and was told need to fax or email proof of business & residential address. Waiting for response now
Did you use your own name as the business name and sole proprietorship?
That's the way to go. If you have a real business and used the business name, then you must provide the info to the Citi..
Old May 24, 2013, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Hazarrd
I opened a Citi VISA Business AAdvantage card earlier this year. Can I now open the Citi MASTERCARD Business AAdvantage card and get the miles?

The authorization email said "Enjoy your new CitiBusiness / AAdvantage card"

The title of the Mastercard on the application page calls the card "CitiBusiness / AAdvantage World Card"

Are they considered different cards for bonus purposes?
They are different products but lately citi is getting stingy in giving two business cards even though different ones. YMMV.
Old May 24, 2013, 3:20 pm

I would never joke about FF miles or credit cards.

I understand that they got rid of the "two browser" trick, but I always saw that applied with 2 personal cards. I did not see anywhere (and I could have missed it easily) where they said about applying for both a personal and biz card the same day. So, I don't think I was that crazy. Maybe I am?

Anyway, then my question still stands...is there a reason people do Personal, Personal, Biz instead of Personal, Biz, Personal in the correct spacing of days etc.

I hope that this answered your questions about my questions.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by jatink129
Err... I don't understand what's happening here. Are you joking?

Edit: In case you're not... The rules are not flexible.
You can't apply for two cards in one day.
You can't apply for 3 cards within 65 days.

Is that what you're asking?
Old May 24, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
They are different products but lately citi is getting stingy in giving two business cards even though different ones. YMMV.
So I might have an issue getting authorized for a second card, but if I do get authorized, there shouldn't be an issue with getting the points. Correct?

Also, I know you can't apply for more than 1 Citi card in a 24 hour period, but is it OK to apply for 1 personal and 1 business in the same day?
Old May 24, 2013, 3:50 pm

Maybe I missed it but when should you cancel your existing AA card before applying again? I'm guessing about 18 months and then reapply after the 2 year from first approval?
Old May 24, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Hazarrd
So I might have an issue getting authorized for a second card, but if I do get authorized, there shouldn't be an issue with getting the points. Correct?

Also, I know you can't apply for more than 1 Citi card in a 24 hour period, but is it OK to apply for 1 personal and 1 business in the same day?
If you do get a second Citi card, you will get the miles.
1 card per day but still YMMV ( as per my own experience).
Old May 24, 2013, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Robert A.
Maybe I missed it but when should you cancel your existing AA card before applying again? I'm guessing about 18 months and then reapply after the 2 year from first approval?
I didnt cancel any of my Citi AA cards. Already have 3 (MC, Visa, Amex) and just got approved for two more Visas, so a total of 5 AA cards.
Old May 24, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
I didnt cancel any of my Citi AA cards. Already have 3 (MC, Visa, Amex) and just got approved for two more Visas, so a total of 5 AA cards.
And you have to pay 5 annul fee?
Old May 24, 2013, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
1) can you do a personal and biz the same day?

In the example in the FAQ it is shown:

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 45-50K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 50K business

Can you do the apps as #1 Personal, #2 (same or next day) Biz, and #3 Personal?

Or does the order have to be #1 P, #2 P, #3 B?

Thanks!
You can apply for personal and business in the same day. I did this successfully 2 weeks ago, and several others had previously posted that they had done the same. You just can't do two personal applications in the same day, or 3 total applications within 65 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.