Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 23, 2013, 2:20 pm

When can I cancel AA Visa?

Opened Citi AA Select AMEX (50k/$2500 spend) and Citi AA Visa (some weird classic card w/i 30k/$1kspend) in January 2013.

I applied for the Gold AA Visa and they received it as a lesser card (or so I was told), but I still got the bonus I was expecting so I was fine with it. I want to cancel the AA Visa opened in 01/13

How long should I wait before I cancel it? I've hit my max avail. credit with Citi and I want the Business AA card and potentially the Hilton cards, so I'm going through and freeing up credit.

BUT I don't want any of the 110K AA miles I've churned since January revoked.

Advice?
Old May 23, 2013, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Many of us on this forum already have:

1. personal 50k Platinum Select Visa and

2. personal 30k Gold Advantage World Mastercard.

Now, I see thare is also

3. personal 35k Platinum Select World Mastercard.

So, assuming you already have #1, and you meet the 60+ day rule, can you get #3? Or since both are "Platinum," will they reject you for #3?

Any guesses?

Well, as someone who just applied for the 35k Platinum Mastercard and got rejected, allow me to answer that for you! No.

Per the terms and conditions that I didn't notice-
"This Citi / AAdvantage card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi/AAdvantage account applied for by July 31, 2013, pursuant to this offer and excludes prior Citi / AAdvantage credit cardmembers and any other Citi / AAdvantage credit cards offered."

They told me that because I already had an account (the personal 50k that I just opened), I couldn't get this card. That also was my second application in a week, so now I have to wait 60 days before applying for the 30k Gold MC! Ugh!
Old May 23, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Added Citi Gold Visa Signature Link/Landing Page..
Old May 23, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Opened Citi AA Select AMEX (50k/$2500 spend) and Citi AA Visa (some weird classic card w/i 30k/$1kspend) in January 2013.

I applied for the Gold AA Visa and they received it as a lesser card (or so I was told), but I still got the bonus I was expecting so I was fine with it. I want to cancel the AA Visa opened in 01/13

How long should I wait before I cancel it? I've hit my max avail. credit with Citi and I want the Business AA card and potentially the Hilton cards, so I'm going through and freeing up credit.

BUT I don't want any of the 110K AA miles I've churned since January revoked.

Advice?
Don't cancel the open Visa. Wait until your churn time, and use the open cards as a bargaining point if you don't get instant approval. Citi will most likely offer to transfer credit from an existing card to open a new card, and if not - you can offer yourselves. You may pull that option off the table if you cancel the card right now though. Also, business credit can be different than personal credit so I wouldn't bank that you'll even need this credit for your business card you want to apply for.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:07 pm

citi advantage mc and a VR

I guess I'll post this on the MFG spend.Sorry
Old May 23, 2013, 11:25 pm

I applied Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles three days ago. Could I apply Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles Master or I can only apply CitiGold AA World Mastercard? Thank you for your advice. One more thing I think my credit line may be only 2000 dollars.

Last edited by ericliujian; May 23, 2013 at 11:57 pm
Old May 23, 2013, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
I applied Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles three days ago. Could I apply Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles Master or I only can apply CitiGold AA World Mastercard today? Thank you for your advise. One more thing I think my credit line may be only 2000 dollars.
Yes, you could.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Achilles
Yes, you could.
But which one? Citi Personal Platinum Master or Gold Master?I am afraid my credit line may be below 5000 and I can not get world Master.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:48 am

Amusing note: I sent a secure message to Citi to confirm benefits on my new card. They promise an answer within 4 hours. The answer I got was: we will answer within 72 hours.

Last edited by richarddd; May 24, 2013 at 6:17 am
Old May 24, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: Work in progress.
But which one? Citi Personal Platinum Master or Gold Master?I am afraid my credit line may be below 5000 and I can not get world Master.
I could be wrong, but if it was me, I'd go with the World Mastercard that's a guaranteed 30k. That Personal Platinum Select for 35k sounds too much like the original 50k card for my comfort.
But that's just me.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:44 am

I applied Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles three days ago. Could I apply Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles Master or I can only apply CitiGold AA World Mastercard? Thank you for your advice. One more thing I think my credit line may be only 2000 dollars.
Based on the answer on just the previous page, NO to Platinum MC if you already got Platinum visa!
Old May 24, 2013, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by koolr
Based on the answer on just the previous page, NO to Platinum MC if you already got Platinum visa!
Thank you for your help. I already applied Citi Gold for 30K miles and approved.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:04 am

1) can you do a personal and biz the same day?

In the example in the FAQ it is shown:

Example:
Day 1 45-50K personal platinum
65+ days later 50K business

Can you do the apps as #1 Personal, #2 (same or next day) Biz, and #3 Personal?

Or does the order have to be #1 P, #2 P, #3 B?

Thanks!
Old May 24, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by farbster
1) can you do a personal and biz the same day?

In the example in the FAQ it is shown:

Example:
Day 1 45-50K personal platinum
65+ days later 50K business

Can you do the apps as #1 Personal, #2 (same or next day) Biz, and #3 Personal?

Or does the order have to be #1 P, #2 P, #3 B?

Thanks!
Err... I don't understand what's happening here. Are you joking?

Edit: In case you're not... The rules are not flexible.
You can't apply for two cards in one day.
You can't apply for 3 cards within 65 days.

Is that what you're asking?
Old May 24, 2013, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by jatink129
You can't apply for two cards in one day.
You can't apply for 3 cards within 65 days.
In other words, you can apply for two cards if you wait more than one day between apps and you can apply for a third card if you wait more than 65 days (a bit longer in both cases to be safe)?

Also, if I understand correctly, you can't apply for the same card more than once every 18 months (more or less). The definition of "the same card" is a bit unclear. For example, a Visa platinum select and an Amex platinum select might be considered the same card for these purposes. If so, do we have a list of which cards are considered "the same card"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.