Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 16, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by cnn
I have the same data point, even better: I got the Visa card (offer #2) in Mar, already got 50k bonus.
Just applied for the AMEX card (offer #3), got instant approval! Hopefully I will get the bonus too. Have 18 EX inquiries in the last 2 years!
Sorry if this is silly question, but you are talking which visa, from #2 below. When I click either link, I don't see a mention of how many points. This is from Post-1 on this thread.

Expired, No landing page, but still working

2. 50K miles after $2500 spend in 4 mo personal (Note: no AC passes or statement credit; Thanks to FT member jeanie)
Personal VISA

Business Visa

3. Up to $150 statement credits for the eligible AA purchases made within 12 months of cardmembership, 45k miles after $5,000 in purchases within the first 4 months, 2 AC passes. (Thanks to FT member jeanie)

VISA
AMEX
Business VISA
Is it possible to apply for BOTH Visa cards and receive 100K points ?

Thanks
Old May 16, 2013, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by billpritjr
Is it possible to apply for BOTH Visa cards and receive 100K points ?
From reading the last ten pages, applying for a business visa and a personal visa will give you the best odds of success.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:26 am

I cannot find any valid links for Citi Business card with AA miles except for the standard offer on the site of 35,000 miles. None of the links on the front page seem to work. Are all of these now expired?
Old May 16, 2013, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by LizSchwartz
I cannot find any valid links for Citi Business card with AA miles except for the standard offer on the site of 35,000 miles. None of the links on the front page seem to work. Are all of these now expired?
I checked some other links and none of them seem to be working.

Last edited by gv111; May 16, 2013 at 8:11 am
Old May 16, 2013, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi
Not sure where it originated from but from personal experience, signed up for 50k personal AMEX in early Feb, then recently applied and was approved for the Gold MC 2 weeks ago without any issues. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as there's only a max of 2 apps in a 65 day window.
Originally Posted by ddallas
Are you sure you weren't told two apps within 65 days, rather than 65 days apart? You can make one citi app per day and two per 60 days. Folks say 65 days because citi is not very good at counting days.
Got it, thanks. I guess I will apply for the Executive MC on Day 1 and the Visa on Day 2 (or vice versa).
Old May 16, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by LizSchwartz
Landing pages load but not applications. Weird.

50k after $5,000 spend in the first 4 months and 2 Admirals Club passes:
Landing page: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...EC662B4A55B3F1
Application page: https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006

50k after $2,000 spend in the first 4 months and $50 statement credit for the first eligible American Airlines purchase made within the first 12 months of cardmembership:
Landing page: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...BABD65B688E968

40k after $2,000 in the first 4 months and additional 10k after $5,000 spend in the first 6 months, up to $100 statement credits, 2 Admirals Club passes:
Landing page: http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...0BAD0DCB9F88C1

Last edited by KennyBSAT; May 16, 2013 at 8:30 am
Old May 16, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Landing pages load but not applications. Weird.

50k after $5,000 spend in the first 4 months and 2 Admirals Club passes:
Landing page: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...EC662B4A55B3F1

50k after $2,000 spend in the first 4 months and $50 statement credit for the first eligible American Airlines purchase made within the first 12 months of cardmembership:
Landing page: https://creditcards.citicards.com/us...BABD65B688E968

40k after $2,000 in the first 4 months and additional 10k after $5,000 spend in the first 6 months, up to $100 statement credits, 2 Admirals Club passes:
Landing page: http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...0BAD0DCB9F88C1

None of these apps are working for me :-x
Old May 16, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors
are the personal and business visa links working ? I click on them and a page appears but no mention of miles awarded/etc is shown.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by billpritjr
are the personal and business visa links working ? I click on them and a page appears but no mention of miles awarded/etc is shown.
It would appear that only the Business Links are down (for me at least). None of the main page links have landing pages so there wouldn't be any mention of the promo. You just have to call in after you apply and verify the promo with the agent.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond, HHonors: Diamond, SPG: Gold
An additional data point

Originally Posted by nakataboi
It would appear that only the Business Links are down (for me at least). None of the main page links have landing pages so there wouldn't be any mention of the promo. You just have to call in after you apply and verify the promo with the agent.
I just applied Mrs. Wanderlustre for the business card last night. After 20 minutes on the phone with the rep she was approved - also confirmed that the signup bonus was for 50K AA after $2500 spend.

So hopefully this is just some temporary glitch in their system.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by teddy25
Does anyone know what TPG was talking about last week in regarding sources at citi?
I applied (5/9) for the 50K/2.5K spend after he made that comment and just confirmed today upon activation that the 50K/2.5K is active on my account.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by adavydov7
I'm in a similar position. I applied for the Biz version and got a "Pending" status. Called twice and both times was told that they were processing the application and would get back to me within 7-10 days. I asked if there was any information they needed to expedite the processing and they said that they didn't need any other information. When you called did they ask for any information or was there anything you said that facilitated getting the instant approval over the phone approval? Thanks.
The CR just wanted to confirm some basic info,no questions asked about business,was kinda surprised as I was expecting some questions about the business and maybe sending some documents or more info...pleasantly surprised..

P.S:My main checking account with Citi for 12 years and have multiple CC with them as well:
2 AA visa
1 AA AmEx
TY premier
Platinum select
2 HH reserve
Biz platinum

Last edited by OHijAAzi73; May 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Since I finished my AA AmEx spend early, I decided to apply for a second AA Visa on a whim. I've had the first one since June 2010. I wasn't instantly approved so I figured no go, but today I got a call offering to move some of the credit limit from my other Citi cards to a new Visa card. So I get a second AA Visa.

It's still doubtful I'll get the bonus, but maybe I'll get the statement credit or something. When I activate the card I'll ask.
Originally Posted by cnn
I have the same data point, even better: I got the Visa card (offer #2) in Mar, already got 50k bonus.
Just applied for the AMEX card (offer #3), got instant approval! Hopefully I will get the bonus too. Have 18 EX inquiries in the last 2 years!
thanks for the data points! this seems like great news for those who were only able to get either an amex or visa and the 30K mastercard. may need to have a family member test their luck for a visa!

just an update for those who have been unable to order an AA GC to trigger a statement credit - received a full credit for a refundable AA ticket purchase and have gone ahead and cancelled the ticket. hopefully the credit stays in the account! for the record this was a last resort after multiple failed attempts to buy a GC online and by phone. oddly enough had already received a partial statement credit for award taxes so i was a little surprised to see a full credit on the last statement, but i'm certainly not complaining
Old May 16, 2013, 2:50 pm
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
Originally Posted by jmdeng
I applied (5/9) for the 50K/2.5K spend after he made that comment and just confirmed today upon activation that the 50K/2.5K is active on my account.
Ditto here, card arrived in mail today. Applied on the 9th.
Of interest to some of you, the citi rep verified that if you have more than one citi aa card, you can get up to 10,000 miles back (from the 10% miles back when redeeming aa frequent flier miles) per Credit card year (and for each credit card you have, much to my surprise).
Old May 16, 2013, 5:10 pm

I had the Citi Aadvantage personal Visa card in 2010 for 1 year. Would I be eligible for opening a new account through these links and getting the 50k, or has that ship sailed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.