Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by TravelMutt
I just applied for the same Business offer, doing the same thing, for both my wife and I. I was not instantly approved.

How long did you wait to call with the application ID?
I called right away -- 5 seconds after I got the screen that said "please call with this application ID".

Edit to add: one thing I forgot to mention is that, before I got to the screen with "please call", it offered me to create a user ID and password and elect whether I wanted paperless statements or not.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:35 pm

50K $2,500 first 4months AA Citi "Holiday Offer"

Found this on their website just now. First timers only, annual $85 waived first year:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...itiVisaDBL.jsp

Limited Time Offer:
Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after $2,500 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1 - enough for two domestic round-trip flight awards.

happy holidays. sorry if this has been posted already.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:06 pm

Citi AA Visa/MC 40000 for 2g spend, up to $100 statement credit

I received an email this afternoon touting a Biz Visa and/or MC. The offer is as stated in the headline. The spend must be within 4 months. The statement credit is a dollar for dollar refund on qualifying AA expenses.

Here are the links:

Visa: https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006

MC: https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006

Good luck
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If 2g spend is easy and 3g spend would be hard for you, that seems like the way to go. (Or if you need MC rather than Amex for the second card.)

But if you can manage 3g spend, the away7 offer:

away7.citicards.com

seems better, because you get 50k instead of 40k, get a $150 credit instead of $100, get double AA miles on AA purchases for a year, and get 2 Admirals Club passes.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:47 pm

And until 1/31/2012 there is still
away7.citicards.com
Which gives 50k miles plus $150 credit for 3k spend.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Have they had better offers? I rather wait until 2012 if they have done better offers.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by World-Wide
Have they had better offers? I rather wait until 2012 if they have done better offers.
100k @ $10k spend last year
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: US Airways/SPG/Club Carlson (Gold)/United/Marriott Rewards Premier (Silver)/Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Thank You

wow 10K might be much, but possible I think I will wait and see if that returns in 2012. If not I will just do other 2012 offers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:01 am

I currently have the Citi AA Amex (75k offer last year) - With unfortunate planning, I've applied for 2 AA cards in the past year and received my last decline in July stating that "we show you currently have a card with us." So my question is, what if any strategy would I have in order to get approved for another AA card? Are any of those mentioned in this thread a possibility?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:14 pm
Formerly known as gwhit21

Programs: All of them.
Originally Posted by MkDL426
I currently have the Citi AA Amex (75k offer last year) - With unfortunate planning, I've applied for 2 AA cards in the past year and received my last decline in July stating that "we show you currently have a card with us." So my question is, what if any strategy would I have in order to get approved for another AA card? Are any of those mentioned in this thread a possibility?
Typically, Citi won't approve you for an AA card until 12-18 month after previous app.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by saacman5033
Just received the following offer in my email:

As a cardmember, you'll benefit from:
* One time $100 statement credit for the first eligible American Airlines purchase made within 12 months of cardmembership
* Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after $3,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership enough for two domestic round-trip flight awards
* Receive One Companion Certificate after you become a cardmember. Use your Citi / AAdvantage card to purchase a domestic roundtrip coach fare on American Airlines and two fly for the price of one no minimum fare restrictions apply
* Two AAdvantage miles for every $1 you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases and one mile per $1 spent on other purchases for the first 12 months of cardmembership. After the first 12 months, continue to earn one mile per $1 spent on purchases
* $0 annual fee for the first 12 months, then $85 ($75 for the CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Visa card) per year thereafter

Offer expires December 31st and has typical "first time Citi Cardholders" exclusion.

Links:

AMEX
VISA
VISA Business

Terms & Conditions
I got the companion certificate tied to the OP's offer. It says that the "Reservation must be booked in H, V, M, L, K, W, V, G, S, N, Q, or O Inventory". There are some blackout dates as well, but what do these fare codes mean? Can I book at Expedia or Priceline and get these fare codes with the lowest fares?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by thehimalayas
I got the companion certificate tied to the OP's offer. It says that the "Reservation must be booked in H, V, M, L, K, W, V, G, S, N, Q, or O Inventory". There are some blackout dates as well, but what do these fare codes mean? Can I book at Expedia or Priceline and get these fare codes with the lowest fares?
They are fare classes and you have to call AA via phone to book it using the companion certificate.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
oh i would be so all over this, multiple cards...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gwhit21
Typically, Citi won't approve you for an AA card until 12-18 month after previous app.
We just got a denial on First Time Only clause despite the last successful cards were open in late June 2010 - almost 18 months by a few days short. Though there are some very lucky ones got their 2nd set with less than 14 months apart, there are also some very unlucky ones kept getting this denial even 20 months have passed. If one's report can take a hit, one can certainly try starting from 14 months out and then 18 months out...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by gwhit21
So, if you got the 75k AA Visa card 4 months ago and now apply for an AA Mastercard, they won't approve? If you apply and get rejected, does this count as a denial on your credit report, or is an application with denial counted the same as an application with acceptance (forgive my ignorance in this regard)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.