Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
The links in the first post, even though the landing pages are gone, are they still working for 50,000 AAdvantage miles each?
Yes.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by AsanteSana
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
The links in the first post, even though the landing pages are gone, are they still working for 50,000 AAdvantage miles each?
Yes.
Thank you!!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:55 pm

Sorry if this has been answered here, and if so kindly let me know. I got the AAdvantage card (30K bonus after 1K spend) about 1 month ago, and about 1-2 weeks after getting my card, received two targeted offers for Citi AAdvantage cards with differenct invitation codes and a 35K bonus. I sent a secure message to citi asking if I would receive the bonus miles if I applied before they expired (i'm still less than 65 days out since my prev 2 apps), and they responded:

"We awarded an additional 5000 bonus miles this evening to match the offer that you received by mail. Please allow 1-2 billing cycles for the miles to be reflected on your statement.

Bonus mileage offers are used as a way to attract new customers. You are welcome to apply for the second offer that you received but we are unable to guarantee that the miles would be established since you already have one AAdvantage account."

I know the wait time is 12-18 months since last AAdvantage approval, but does it change considering it was a targeted offer to me AFTER I already got my previous card? If I apply using 2-browswer trick, is there any chance I could get the bonus?

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by BQatWSU
Sorry if this has been answered here, and if so kindly let me know. I got the AAdvantage card (30K bonus after 1K spend) about 1 month ago, and about 1-2 weeks after getting my card, received two targeted offers for Citi AAdvantage cards with differenct invitation codes and a 35K bonus. I sent a secure message to citi asking if I would receive the bonus miles if I applied before they expired (i'm still less than 65 days out since my prev 2 apps), and they responded:

"We awarded an additional 5000 bonus miles this evening to match the offer that you received by mail. Please allow 1-2 billing cycles for the miles to be reflected on your statement.

Bonus mileage offers are used as a way to attract new customers. You are welcome to apply for the second offer that you received but we are unable to guarantee that the miles would be established since you already have one AAdvantage account."

I know the wait time is 12-18 months since last AAdvantage approval, but does it change considering it was a targeted offer to me AFTER I already got my previous card? If I apply using 2-browswer trick, is there any chance I could get the bonus?

Thanks
To my knowledge, your chances of getting the bonus again now by re-applying for the card are slim to none. You might have to wait it out for the recommended period before applying again. However, more experienced folks might be able to offer more input.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks
No.

The targeted offers are sent out without any filtering - it is just a marketing campaign to potentially credit worthy customers regardless whether they have AA cards before nor now.

I thought the SM response you got from Citi is very CLEAR - that they would give you an additional 5K to match the targeted offer you get, but warn you about the peril should you apply again.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
No.

The targeted offers are sent out without any filtering - it is just a marketing campaign to potentially credit worthy customers regardless whether they have AA cards before nor now.

I thought the SM response you got from Citi is very CLEAR - that they would give you an additional 5K to match the targeted offer you get, but warn you about the peril should you apply again.
Thanks Happy. I was 99% sure but wanted to check considering it was a targeted offer after I already had the card. I'll use my two citi apps for the hilton cards then
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Happy. I was 99% sure but wanted to check considering it was a targeted offer after I already had the card. I'll use my two citi apps for the hilton cards then
May be the old saying about the right hand does not know what the left hand doing, would make you realize the targeted offers are exactly just like that - there is no cross-check, no filtering, other than your name happens on some lists the marketing dept uses to solicit new customers. FYI, such lists can come from many sources - all companies buy/sell such lists.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I'm going to take this opportunity to remind everyone about this super useful thread that isn't talked about nearly enough here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ub-merged.html

Get into any lounge up to 12 times a year, plus 12 health club visits, via rebate.

As low as $20/year total cost, plus about $3 in postage for each rebate.
Wow thanks so much for letting us know about the skyguide program! Sounds perfect for the occasional economy traveler who prefers lounges to airport shopping during layovers!!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:22 am

Is the companion cert and club pass tied to you? Can they be sold on eBay?

Last edited by Rommie2k6; Jul 23, 2012 at 4:29 am
Old Jul 23, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Is the companion cert and club pass tied to you? Can they be sold on eBay?
Companion cert yes. club pass no.

No idea on selling on the eBay part. Though almost 100% sure you would get caught on the companion cert and your buyer would be stopped at the gate when they try to board, with your AA account in jeopardy.

FYI AA ACTIVELY monitors listings of selling its various "perks" on eBay and similar sites.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:04 pm

If I have the visa, amex, and biz mc that this thread is based on, but am 35K short of a particular award, can I sign up for the personal mc for 30K through the citi website? I don't see the language in the T&C that would make me think I won't get the 30K.. Am I blind? And yes I'd need to get the last 5K through other means.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by decibel08
If I have the visa, amex, and biz mc that this thread is based on, but am 35K short of a particular award, can I sign up for the personal mc for 30K through the citi website? I don't see the language in the T&C that would make me think I won't get the 30K.. Am I blind? And yes I'd need to get the last 5K through other means.

I will not stop you if you try but on the first page and throughout this thread many have mention their are many reports of users not able to get the bonus a second time unless it has been 18+ months later after you have been a card member.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by snugglening
I will not stop you if you try but on the first page and throughout this thread many have mention their are many reports of users not able to get the bonus a second time unless it has been 18+ months later after you have been a card member.
yea but i believe that is usually in reference to another 50K (or 75K) for the personal visa/amex or biz mc. i don't read much about the personal mc for 30K.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by decibel08
yea but i believe that is usually in reference to another 50K (or 75K) for the personal visa/amex or biz mc. i don't read much about the personal mc for 30K.
To my knowledge, the 'visa personal', 'amex personal', 'mc personal' all fall under this one category of personal card. Based on experience, if it has not been at least 18 mos since your most recent personal card approval (irrespective of whether is is visa, amex or mc), your chances of getting it again are slim to none.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by AsanteSana
To my knowledge, the 'visa personal', 'amex personal', 'mc personal' all fall under this one category of personal card. Based on experience, if it has not been at least 18 mos since your most recent personal card approval (irrespective of whether is is visa, amex or mc), your chances of getting it again are slim to none.
ok that makes sense - bummer, but thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.