Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
DW had the card for nearly 3 months and the companion certificate just arrived yesterday. Unfortunately I have doubts we'll even use the damn thing, it expires on November 30th. Likely the consequence of applying for an offer that had been expired for 4 months.

Unfortunate though, as far as companion passes goes, this one isn't all that bad, it even allows for the NOQSG fares (only for USA 48 though).

Last time I got one of these (about 6 years ago) the lowest fare class they allowed was V, or something like that (which meant using it required purchasing a ticket that was twice the price of readily available tickets)
Hey, the Nov 30 date is actually far better than ours expired on June 30. Though we had no intention to use it from the outset, so it was not a big loss. Citi would not exchange ours to a new expiration date. But then as you said, the offer we applied in March, expired in Dec 2011. So the June 30 expiration date makes sense. The current offer expired Apr 30? The validity period actually is 7 months now instead of 6 months - 1 month more than the old practice.

And yes, this time the companion cert actually is useful because it allows even the lowest fare code, despite only good for lower 48. For those plan to do some holiday travel, you may want to book asap once you get your certs in hand.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:36 pm

New data point:

Applied for my wife using the two-browser trick. She already has a Citi AA Visa that she applied for somewhere around last February, and she was instantly approved for both Amex and Visa.

Used the MM blog links, and am just waiting until the end of July to apply for the Biz card for myself -- hopefully it still works, although it seems it might not based on recent posts.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:06 am

I had recently posted that I had applied for the citi plat and Amex with the links from post one using the two browser trick. I was instantly approved for the visa and got "application received " for the Amex.

It's been nearly a week now and I still haven't heard anything about the Amex. Should I call? Would the call alert them to the fact I put in two application? What's the best thing to do? I'd like to get them both as I have to wait another 18-24 mos to apply again.
TIA, Felicity
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:27 am

Yes, call to check on the status of the application. The CSRs do not generally care that you applied for multiple cards. If they ask if you meant to apply for both, note that they are accepted at different merchants: Costco for AmEx and many smaller businesses for Visa.

Originally Posted by felicity5
I had recently posted that I had applied for the citi plat and Amex with the links from post one using the two browser trick. I was instantly approved for the visa and got "application received " for the Amex.

It's been nearly a week now and I still haven't heard anything about the Amex. Should I call? Would the call alert them to the fact I put in two application? What's the best thing to do? I'd like to get them both as I have to wait another 18-24 mos to apply again.
TIA, Felicity
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: United 1K
I used the two browser method and got the Citi Visa and Amex cards. Confirmed the 50K miles after $3K spend in 4 months and $100 statement credit with the Citi reps via phone. However, two different reps couldn't see anything in the card benefits about companion certificates. Do these come from Citi or AA? Should I call AA to inquire about these or will they come on their own in a few months?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
I applied for the Citi AA card Visa in Dec 2010, then got denied for the Citi AA Amex card in Feb 2011 since I already have a card. Which date do I count for the 18 month before applying again? Is it 18 months from Dec 2010 or Feb 2011?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by opus2002
I applied for the Citi AA card Visa in Dec 2010, then got denied for the Citi AA Amex card in Feb 2011 since I already have a card. Which date do I count for the 18 month before applying again? Is it 18 months from Dec 2010 or Feb 2011?
I believe it is the date of last approval, which in your case is Dec 2010
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:15 am

At the end of the applciation for the business card, it will show that the annual fee is $75, however, the fee is waived for the first year but it'll still show as $75 annual fee right?

And would using the AA card to pay the taxes on a redemption be considered as an eligible AA purchase?

Last edited by hqly2001; Jul 12, 2012 at 11:40 am
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:45 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by silent129
However, two different reps couldn't see anything in the card benefits about companion certificates. Do these come from Citi or AA? Should I call AA to inquire about these or will they come on their own in a few months?
You should ignore them. There's no reason to be persistent when using an expired offer. Take what you get.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:25 pm

Quick Data Point - I also received 1 companion certificate which expires end of Nov. Not sure if I would end up using it...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Bump with this same question: are new AA Citi personal cards eligible for a companion cert? The one terms page I see says you need to apply be Dec, 2011. Is this still going on? don't see anything on their site. also, is this a full companion cert or only like..$100 credit for a companion?

EDIT: also, this is a 1 time thing, correct? it's not like delta amex where you get a new one with yearly renewal?

Originally Posted by pritomd
to get the companion cert, do you have to get the business card? or can you get one with a personal card? I am looking at AA's citi personal cards and I am not seeing any mention of complimentary companion certs.

Last edited by pritomd; Jul 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
i just got my two companion tickets also, expiring nov 30....sucks since i'll be deployed until after they expirene. oh well.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 2.5MM, SPG-Plat, HH-Gold, PC-Platinum
Wife just applied for Amex and Visa via dual browsers and was approved instantly, will wait a week or so and then confirm bonus miles and spend requirements.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:02 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
I applied for the AMEX after getting the VISA a while back ...

Thank you for applying for the Citi Select(R) / AAdvantage(R)
American Express(R) account. Unfortunately, we are unable
to approve your request for the account at this time because
of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us.

===

I made the mistake of giving them my correct Advantage number -- should I have let them assign me one? Or should I not have used the same email address?

Since they didn't open the line of credit, I didn't take a credit hit, right?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rizwank
I applied for the AMEX after getting the VISA a while back ...

Thank you for applying for the Citi Select(R) / AAdvantage(R)
American Express(R) account. Unfortunately, we are unable
to approve your request for the account at this time because
of the following:

o This specific offer is valid only for first-time Citi(R)
/ AAdvantage(R) cardmembers.? Our records indicate that
you already have a Citi(R) / AAdvantage(R) account with us.

===

I made the mistake of giving them my correct Advantage number -- should I have let them assign me one? Or should I not have used the same email address?
You have a different SSN to use? That may help you bypass the checking.

Originally Posted by rizwank
Since they didn't open the line of credit, I didn't take a credit hit, right?
Wrong. You apply for a credit to be extended to you therefore the bank has the right to pull your credit report. Applying a credit does not means the credit would be extended. However if your credit score is decent, the hit from an inquiry is very minimal.

On top of that, there is this thing called fine print - in it, the offer clearly stated that it is only available for first time customer only... You know you are not a first time customer yet you apply anyway... Do it at your own risk as the cliche says.

Have you spend some time to read the First Post of this thread, that right on the top it has a link to the old Citi AAdvantage card thread, where the Post No.2 has all the Ins and Outs about how to successfully apply Citi AAdvantage card? If you have done so, you would not made this mistake, as <<I applied for the AMEX after getting the VISA a while back ...>>

Do yourself a big favor, spend time to read that post that has helped many many many folks successfully gotten hundreds of thousands of AA miles by understanding the basics and carefully follow the proven methods.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 12, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.