Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:27 pm

Data point. Opened and still have citi plat visa on Dec 2010.
Just did two browser trick on different browsers using first links on OP for visa and Amex. Instant approval on visa and "app received" on Amex.
Thanks to all for all the great info, hope this post helps the community by passing on that I was able to get another plat visa after 16 months. Still hope to get the Amex as well.
Felicity
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:01 am

I think somehow this got messed up for me - I did the two browser trick FF and IE

IE - visa
FF- amex

Filled them both out and then hit verify on the ie page it refreshed and blanked out all my info so I reinput it then verify and they both went to the submit button, I did ie first..got approved then firefox and got approved - then as I clicked through the last pages I noticed...they both said aa amex?? ...?? I have no idea how i messed this up so I quickly redid a visa app and it go sent to "futher review" status.

update - okay this is wild - I called for the status on my visa and they said it was in the final stages and should know tomorrow but...she said I was apporved for two aa amex cards and they would be sending me two - which I could cancel one when I get them? or keep and use both? uhh if I use them both and fufil the obligation - I should get the 50k miles from each correct?? And if they give me the visa --- would I be getting 150K miles?????

Last edited by glenroebuck; Jul 7, 2012 at 8:26 am
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djflier
I had a couple of questions :

1. Right now we have a joint Alaska (free companion airfare deal and $75 a year) card with $15k limit and a joint amex costo card with no fees. If I closed the Alaska and transferred the balances to say four new cards (2 for my wife and 2 for me) with a combined $15k limit does that hurt your credit score given you lose the history of the old card?

2. With all of these cards the points have nothing to do with whether the card is still active? For example if I cancelled the alaska card the mileage accrued would still be valid and stay in the mileage account? I remember with my last Amex card Amex told me if I closed the card then you lose the points that's why I am asking....
This is a thread about the offers on AA cards from Citi. As such, it is not the best place for general questions about credit scores or questions about other cards from other banks. (Policiies on keeping miles/points vary from bank to bank, so what happens at Citi is not necessarily what happens at Amex the bank is not necessarily what happens at other banks.)

(I understand you're new here. You presumably therefore didn't realize that the person you were replying to puts their blog address in every post they make in every forum. But that doesn't mean that every forum is the right place for those quesitons.)

The credit cards forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-599/

is where you should discuss anything about credit scores. Just search that forum for credit scores, and you'll find oodles of threads, including:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...dit-score.html

Similarly, you can search that forum for Alaska and find threads on questions similar to yours, including;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...dit-cards.html

(The Alaska card is issued by BofA.)

If you don't feel that thread completely answered your question, then ask in that thread.

(The forum the thread you're reading now is in, MilesBuzz!, is not a credit card forum. It's just a forum for "hot" offers, of which these particluar Citi AA cards are considered to be.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 8, 2012 at 7:42 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glenroebuck
I think somehow this got messed up for me - I did the two browser trick FF and IE

IE - visa
FF- amex

Filled them both out and then hit verify on the ie page it refreshed and blanked out all my info so I reinput it then verify and they both went to the submit button, I did ie first..got approved then firefox and got approved - then as I clicked through the last pages I noticed...they both said aa amex?? ...?? I have no idea how i messed this up so I quickly redid a visa app and it go sent to "futher review" status.

update - okay this is wild - I called for the status on my visa and they said it was in the final stages and should know tomorrow but...she said I was apporved for two aa amex cards and they would be sending me two - which I could cancel one when I get them? or keep and use both? uhh if I use them both and fufil the obligation - I should get the 50k miles from each correct?? And if they give me the visa --- would I be getting 150K miles?????
DOn't get excited. Even if you get all 3 cards, it'll likely turn out in the end that they'll send you a letter that you won't get the miles on one of them. But you can't tell right now which of the cards Citi will "recall" after realizing it's error. So I suggest you don't cancel anything and wait to see what Citi does, but unfortunately that also might mean not starting spend on both Amex cards right away, only one of them.

You can certainly get two Amex cards at the same time. People have done that before. What nobody has done, that I've heard of in recent years, is get three personal cards from Citi (AA or otherwise!) within 60 days. So it's most likely your Visa app will actually get denied, unless they make a special case for some reason and unapprove one of your Amex's to approve the Visa.

But in case they deny the Visa, just accept the two Amex's.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:52 am

ha yeah I was reading the card policies and two personal in a 60 day period. I just thought it was weird they approved to amex's - and I have no idea how my ie just blanked and switched to an amex app. If i do get the two amexs I will just go with that and start using one right away to fufil the req. I am not too concerned if don't get the visa just more if I have two amex I can get the miles from both>
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:32 am

This has happened in the past when people got an error when applying and reapplied again for the same card and ended up with two of the same card (AmEx or Visa). It seems that you cannot do it intentionally, or if you try the results have been generally bad.

I would be surprised if they approved the third card, but congrats if they do! Once you get the cards, verify the offer when you activate them and you should be good.

Originally Posted by glenroebuck

IE - visa
FF- amex

Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
DOn't get excited. Even if you get all 3 cards, it'll likely turn out in the end that they'll send you a letter that you won't get the miles on one of them.
I've never heard of Citi doing anything of the sort. Chase has for some, but with Citi, if you get the card, you'll get the bonus.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by saacman5033
I've never heard of Citi doing anything of the sort. Chase has for some, but with Citi, if you get the card, you'll get the bonus.
I agree. I read somewhere of someone trying the two browser trick accidentally getting two visas and both got the bonus.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
DOn't get excited. Even if you get all 3 cards, it'll likely turn out in the end that they'll send you a letter that you won't get the miles on one of them.
Wrong info. You confuse Citi with Chase. As long as you get a PHYSICAL card in hand from Citi, you get the bonus you signed up for.

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
This has happened in the past when people got an error when applying and reapplied again for the same card and ended up with two of the same card (AmEx or Visa). It seems that you cannot do it intentionally, or if you try the results have been generally bad.

I would be surprised if they approved the third card, but congrats if they do! Once you get the cards, verify the offer when you activate them and you should be good.
Agree. This cannot be done internationally - it only happens when Citi System suddenly acts up - like time you out for no reason when sending the applets for the next screen.

I believe in a period in 2010 several posters actually got 4 cards thanks to the system error. So the poster could very likely get the 3rd card if there is no detailed human scrutiny.

Key is how many cards actually being sent to OP. Once he has the cards in hand, he is golden.

Originally Posted by sweetz_21_83
I agree. I read somewhere of someone trying the two browser trick accidentally getting two visas and both got the bonus.
Both of you are correct.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
CITI TYP 50K Offer Question

I got a question re: the application form for the CITI TYP 50K offer...for this, i opened FF and IE....but one thing thats interesting..when you click on APPLY NOW...TWO applications come up in different tabs....is that normal? check it out below..
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Wrong info. You confuse Citi with Chase. As long as you get a PHYSICAL card in hand from Citi, you get the bonus you signed up for.
But neither have we heard of someone actually getting a third card (due to a mishap with applying) for just two cards) for a couple years. So if that happens, we're already in somewhat new territory.

Obviously, the most likely thing is that they don't get the third card. (Then we're in familiar territory. They got a different second card than they applied for, that's all.)

The second most likely thing is that they get the so-called third card, but don't get one of the two original cards that they've been told they're approved for.

Although we haven't heard of Citi actually denying miles after you get the card, I seem to recall we have heard of Citi ocasionally doing an approval and then, before they send out the card, saying "oops, we goofed" and rescinding the approval. Probably only in special circumstances, but the OPs case here (tried to apply for two different cards, but due to a web glittch got two of the same card and the other card "app pending") is obviously special circumstances.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 8, 2012 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:21 am

Links worked this morning

The two browser trick and the first page links for personal visa and amex worked this morning for my husband. instant approval for both
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by ckosh
The two browser trick and the first page links for personal visa and amex worked this morning for my husband. instant approval for both
Thanks for the update - I am planning on doing the same within the week. What were the sign up bonuses that you were given?
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:20 am

Another success

Two browser method also worked for me this morning. No personal applications since 7/2010, all personal cards are closed, one business still open. Applied for both Amex and Visa on the 50K after $3K spend in 4 months with companion pass offer. Used IE and Chrome. Instant approval on both. ^
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Thanks for the update - I am planning on doing the same within the week. What were the sign up bonuses that you were given?
He applied through the links that say 50K for $3000 spend in 4 months but this wasn't mentioned on the application page and the instant approval didn't specify the bonus terms.

But that is what I expected based on what other people reported earlier in this thread. When the cards arrive and he needs to activate, he'll confirm the bonus specifics on activation--fingers crossed he'll get the 50K like others have reported getting through these links.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.