Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
  • In the upper right find the box which says "Page 1 of 59"
  • Hover on (point but do not click) one of the adjacent array of page numbers
  • The range of posts on that page will be displayed
Oh thank you.

As you can see I've been coming to flyertalk since 2001 so I can't claim "newbie". But I can claim to be green. However, I'm such small potatoes compared to most of the posters.
DH did most of his business flying before we got into timesharing in '99. I didn't do much more than "ride along." Since then I've managed our travel accounts from info here and on TUG.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by particlemn
No additional information request that either of us saw on either page 3.

Ok. Just checking . May have been a fluke
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:23 pm

OK, you are asking a slew of different questions here that get into different issues. I'll ty to cover everything:

1. If your last Citi applications of any kind were in 09/2010 or earlier than you should be considered to have a blank slate with Citi. Not subject to First Time rule for AA Personal cards (although it is possible), not limited to less than two applications due to recent applications, not prohibited from applying for a Business card because of a recent application, no credit pulls from Citi on your Credit Report.

2. So, as you say, you and your husband can each apply for two Citi cards and as you note, your best bet is probably to each apply for two of the same class of cards (2 X AA personal or 2 X HHonors).

3. If you use the 'two browser trick' by clearing cache, opening two browsers, loading up the two applications for one person and hitting submit at about the same time, you reduce the risk of having issues where the site somehow merges the applications, sees the prior application, etc. If you simply apply twice in the same day the credit pulls should merge if they are of the same type of card (Business, TY, AA Personal, or HH).

4. If you apply for one AA personal card and the next day a second one, the second one will get rejected as "not first time user." The longer you wait between apps, the more likely this is to occur.

5. Delta is Chase (right? Or is it AmEx?) so should not significantly affect Citi apps. You can generally do a couple of Chase apps at a time but the second will inevitably get deferred and you may need to call in or it may just get manually approved on its own.

6. If you do all of your apps in a string they are generally less likely to be noticed by the other companies. I would generally avoid more than 3-4 cards at a time every 3 months or so. Try to split the apps between different credit bureaus and card issuers.

7. Both my wife and I do all of our apps at the same time, then wait three months, rinse, repeat.

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I went to the link in your post. It says the same as you do in your post:

"1. There are two different application timeframes that are important in this offer. Citi only allows 2 applications for ANY Citi card within a 60 day timeframe. Citi only allows 1 application for a business card every 90 days. So if you apply for a Sears card and an AA Visa, you have to wait 60+ days before applying for the business card. If you applied and were denied for just a business card, you have to wait 90+ days before trying again."

Since all of our Citi cards were applied for 9/10 or earlier it would seem each of us could put in 2 applications each without using the 2 browser trick. Like 2 HH's for me and 2 AA's for DH. However, the benefit of the 2 browser thing makes for less credit pulls.

DH was just approved for new Delta card. How will that impact Citi card approvals?

I'm also looking at new spg (all applications prior to 10/09) and Chase Sapphire (no previous card) and don't want to mess up getting those by applying for too many Citi cards. Can someone help with potential spacing? I've been recently told that churners look at a quarterly application spacing. Does that mean quarterly for each spouse? Each card (i.e., bank)?

Then there's the recent threads that discuss the problems with spouse applications and the new "community property" law. I have a net worth but no income (even though I do a pretty good job as Support Staff).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
  • In the upper right find the box which says "Page 1 of 59"
  • Hover on (point but do not click) one of the adjacent array of page numbers
  • The range of posts on that page will be displayed
Is there an easy way to go to a specific post in a thread (in this case, post 468), if all you know is the post number? If you're in the mode where it shows 59 pages, it takes quite a few clicks to figure out that it's on page 32 (because it takes many clicks before it shows page 32 as one of the page numbers you can hover over), by just clicking around. I was wondering if there's some way to convince it that you want to search for post 468.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
Is everybody using the links from Post #468 (does it matter which of the 3?) still or are there others between then and now that I should be using? I see that the link in the first post hasn't been updated since 2011.
I'm not sure whether there's any significant difference in the links. It's just that I'm unwilling to be the guinea pig to prove that.

The links are identical up to a point. The point at which they diverge is right after what seems to be the offer code, and the divergence is in stuff that's typically auto-generated by Citi when you click on a simpler link (auto-generated differently each time you click on a link which didn't have that appended stuff already).

Anyhow, when I applied (two at a time, in FF & IE) about a week and a half ago, I used the "middle" link in post 468. It seems to have worked, though I have not talked to a CSR about the signup offer yet. I first had to negotiate transfer of credit limit from another card to be able to have them open either/both of the new HHonors cards, but I didn't get the call from them until a week after my apps, so that delayed everything a week. (There was no phone number given for me to call at either step 3 or 5 during the app process.) I'm not expecting the cards until this weekend. (I did get confirmation emails for both acceptances the other day, several days after the CSR verbally told me I was accepted after the transfer of credit limit from an existing card was completed.)

Btw, since they called me, they asked me if I meant to apply for two cards, and so I gave the oft-mentioned-above "excuse" of (supposedly ) wanting two cards to keep track of different kinds of expenses. No more questions about that after that short explanation. (Like I've mentioned before, banks are very familiar with that reason for wanting two cards, so if you gotta make up a reason, it seems the best one.)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Is there an easy way to go to a specific post in a thread (in this case, post 468), if all you know is the post number? If you're in the mode where it shows 59 pages, it takes quite a few clicks to figure out that it's on page 32 (because it takes many clicks before it shows page 32 as one of the page numbers you can hover over), by just clicking around. I was wondering if there's some way to convince it that you want to search for post 468.
I don't know of an easy way to call up a specific post. I'll do a little math to figure out what page the post will be on and then go directly to that page using the pull down menu to enter the desired page #
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, one more quick question then...

Is everybody using the links from Post #468 (does it matter which of the 3?) still or are there others between then and now that I should be using? I see that the link in the first post hasn't been updated since 2011.

Thank
All 3 links worked. I have used 3 on our 4 cards.

It would be helpful if, when referring to post #468 it was noted that it's on p. 32 of this thread. Like post #468, p. 32.
No. Page Number depends on you own setting. It may be Page 32 on your default setting but it could be Page 20 on others who set their pages contain a lot more posts.

The Post Number reference is the most efficient because you can quickly open page to the approximate post number range - you dont need to open every page to find it - jump the pages by your best guess.

That doesn't work for everybody. I have my settings to show more posts per page than the default. I only have 22 total pages in this thread. So, your reference to page 32 means nothing to me.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, just saying that's why I don't (and don't like it when others) reference page numbers.
I 100% agree with you. Those quote it in page do not have any idea about the page setting can be customized. Post number is a fixed reference that cannot be changed.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:57 pm

Just used the two browser trick to apply for HH and got both approved instantly. I wonder if I do any more app of another bank today or tomorrow, will Citi look at those hits and deny the HH cards that I already got approved?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:01 pm

I recommend you finishing all your churning one day. Let's say if do it tomorrow for other cards, other banks/credit card companies will see your applications today. This may lead to declining due to too many credit inquiries. So, you better do all of them now. Of course, some cards you need to wait for at least 30/60/180 days.

As for the 2 approved one, I won't worry about them. I have never heard approved cc got denied the next day.

Originally Posted by longmanzz
Just used the two browser trick to apply for HH and got both approved instantly. I wonder if I do any more app of another bank today or tomorrow, will Citi look at those hits and deny the HH cards that I already got approved?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by longmanzz
No, they are done looking once they approve you.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
OK, you are asking a slew of different questions here that get into different issues. I'll ty to cover everything:

1. If your last Citi applications of any kind were in 09/2010 or earlier than you should be considered to have a blank slate with Citi. Not subject to First Time rule for AA Personal cards (although it is possible), not limited to less than two applications due to recent applications, not prohibited from applying for a Business card because of a recent application, no credit pulls from Citi on your Credit Report.

2. So, as you say, you and your husband can each apply for two Citi cards and as you note, your best bet is probably to each apply for two of the same class of cards (2 X AA personal or 2 X HHonors).

3. If you use the 'two browser trick' by clearing cache, opening two browsers, loading up the two applications for one person and hitting submit at about the same time, you reduce the risk of having issues where the site somehow merges the applications, sees the prior application, etc. If you simply apply twice in the same day the credit pulls should merge if they are of the same type of card (Business, TY, AA Personal, or HH).

4. If you apply for one AA personal card and the next day a second one, the second one will get rejected as "not first time user." The longer you wait between apps, the more likely this is to occur.

5. Delta is Chase (right? Or is it AmEx?) so should not significantly affect Citi apps. You can generally do a couple of Chase apps at a time but the second will inevitably get deferred and you may need to call in or it may just get manually approved on its own.

6. If you do all of your apps in a string they are generally less likely to be noticed by the other companies. I would generally avoid more than 3-4 cards at a time every 3 months or so. Try to split the apps between different credit bureaus and card issuers.

7. Both my wife and I do all of our apps at the same time, then wait three months, rinse, repeat.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. Yes, I knew I was asking several questions and am appreciative to get them answered. As I mentioned previously I've been doing some catch up on flyertalk reading, making notes, doing a lot more reading. It's been several weeks of regular searching through threads to understand details but I was coming up short on some.

In response to your post I have come up with the following:

1, 2, 3 & 4 From years of reading on these boards it would appear that the moderators of FT would never sanction breaking the rules for any loyalty program so I was wondering about the "trick" of the 2 browser method. As some have said, they've been questioned by CSR's about their multiple applications but have no further issue after giving a reason such as "manage my expenses". To get to the point of my question about the "trick", is the 2 browser method meant to override bonus prohibition or is it to override a glitch in the Citi site that causes issues with applying for both a Visa and an AmEx.

5, 6 & 7 Delta is AmEx. I'm looking at 9 more (total, not each) possible cards between me and DH. 3 Chase, 1 spg AmEx, 1 more Delta, the 4 Citi. Spacing will not only be dependent on what will possibly be approved but managing the minimum required spending on a new batch of cards. Are you suggesting that I look at a 1AmEx/1Chase/1Citi string (each of us) and then go for others in 3 month intervals?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 5:52 am

1, 2, 3 & 4 From years of reading on these boards it would appear that the moderators of FT would never sanction breaking the rules for any loyalty program so I was wondering about the "trick" of the 2 browser method. As some have said, they've been questioned by CSR's about their multiple applications but have no further issue after giving a reason such as "manage my expenses". To get to the point of my question about the "trick", is the 2 browser method meant to override bonus prohibition or is it to override a glitch in the Citi site that causes issues with applying for both a Visa and an AmEx.
The two-browser trick does not impact the rules of any loyalty program. There is nothing in the AA/HH rules about how many cards you can get, they sell miles to card issuers and issuers provide them to the public. Although Citi has a 'rule' that AA Personal cards are only for first time users, they allow people who have had the card in the past to get them after about 18-24 months, so their definition of First Time user does not track common usage of that term. When CSRs see the AmEx and Visa apps they don't seem to care that you applied for and were approved for multiple cards.

I don't know that anyone has been asked why they applied for both the AmEx and Visa but I would explain that I use AmEx at Costco, which does not take Visa and Visa at the many establishments that don't take AmEx (or use the Chip version overseas). As to the HHonors, I explained that I try to manage my business and personal expenses separately.

5, 6 & 7 Delta is AmEx. I'm looking at 9 more (total, not each) possible cards between me and DH. 3 Chase, 1 spg AmEx, 1 more Delta, the 4 Citi. Spacing will not only be dependent on what will possibly be approved but managing the minimum required spending on a new batch of cards. Are you suggesting that I look at a 1AmEx/1Chase/1Citi string (each of us) and then go for others in 3 month intervals?
I would generally be inclined to do 2XCiti of same type and a Chase and an AmEx, wait 3 months, and do the same again. Toss in a Barclays, or a couple BoA/BoH if you like. For me Citi/AmEx pull Experian, Chase and Discover pull Equifax, Barclays pulls Trans Union, I forget who BoA and BoH pulled.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
The two-browser trick does not impact the rules of any loyalty program. There is nothing in the AA/HH rules about how many cards you can get, they sell miles to card issuers and issuers provide them to the public. Although Citi has a 'rule' that AA Personal cards are only for first time users, they allow people who have had the card in the past to get them after about 18-24 months, so their definition of First Time user does not track common usage of that term. When CSRs see the AmEx and Visa apps they don't seem to care that you applied for and were approved for multiple cards.

I don't know that anyone has been asked why they applied for both the AmEx and Visa but I would explain that I use AmEx at Costco, which does not take Visa and Visa at the many establishments that don't take AmEx (or use the Chip version overseas). As to the HHonors, I explained that I try to manage my business and personal expenses separately.

I would generally be inclined to do 2XCiti of same type and a Chase and an AmEx, wait 3 months, and do the same again. Toss in a Barclays, or a couple BoA/BoH if you like. For me Citi/AmEx pull Experian, Chase and Discover pull Equifax, Barclays pulls Trans Union, I forget who BoA and BoH pulled.
Thank you again for your patience and generous help.

I looked in the Glossary but couldn't find BoA or BoH. Looked through some thread titles to see if I could figure it out but I'm stumped.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Thank you again for your patience and generous help.

I looked in the Glossary but couldn't find BoA or BoH. Looked through some thread titles to see if I could figure it out but I'm stumped.
Bank of America and Bank of Hawaii
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by harbourxie
I recommend you finishing all your churning one day. Let's say if do it tomorrow for other cards, other banks/credit card companies will see your applications today. This may lead to declining due to too many credit inquiries. So, you better do all of them now. Of course, some cards you need to wait for at least 30/60/180 days.

As for the 2 approved one, I won't worry about them. I have never heard approved cc got denied the next day.
There's also another practical reason to do all your apps on the same day: it's easier to keep track of spending deadlines that way. I do mine on the first of the month where I've decided to do an app spree. I use my app day as the start date for my spending requirements--that way, I'm not trying to sort out the end day for any of the cards. Planning in this way, I know how much I need to spend so that I can figure out whether the spending will fit in my budget--I'm not a manufactured spend guy although I guess if I saw an appropriate, short-term, big spend but huge bonus card, I might use that approach.

In a real world example, I just did this on 9/1 with four cards, one from Chase, one from Amex, two from Citi. Combined, I'm aiming to spend $9K by 11/30. Although three of the cards give me six months to hit spending requirements, one requires that spending be finished within 3 months, so it's easier for me to use the end date for that card as the date for the other three cards. Also, that approach frees me up for another set of apps on 12/1 or 1/1/13. I then spend 1/3 of the requirement on each card each month, keeping in mind that any annual fees already charged have to be deducted from my total spending.

Although I could just keep detailed records of all my application dates if I spread them out more, I've found that this method simplifies the process tremendously while helping me to plan for the cards I'll apply for next. Of course, there can be times I might go off this schedule. For me, I wanted to take advantage of the SPG Biz offer so my planned app date of 9/1 worked, but if it hadn't, I would have either adjusted the date or applied for the SPG separately. Overall, however, I haven't found that a concern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.