Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by westmassexpat
Item #2 of the wiki is an unfortunate memorial to some of our trials having the bonus show up. It seems most were resolved in late September (including one of mine)...
So you had trouble with your first 60K card or did I read it wrong and you had three 60K cards ?

I applied for 50K and 60k came out days later so Citi matched the offer and it posted fine as 50k and 10K

I then applied for the 60K offer and that posted no problem.

This thread had several people post issues with the 2nd 60K not posting so rather than go through all that BS I just applied for another 50K card and asked Citi to match the 60K which again posted as 50K and 10K.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
So you had trouble with your first 60K card or did I read it wrong and you had three 60K cards ?

I applied for 50K and 60k came out days later so Citi matched the offer and it posted fine as 50k and 10K

I then applied for the 60K offer and that posted no problem.

This thread had several people post issues with the 2nd 60K not posting so rather than go through all that BS I just applied for another 50K card and asked Citi to match the 60K which again posted as 50K and 10K.
I misread what you were saying, and didn't fully explain my situation.

This is technically my third 60k card. The first was back in June (?) -- the two where I earned the bonuses in early September both didn't show up immediately. After two cases, one showed up and the other still is pending.

That said, just looking for a little hope that others were also in my situation and have emerged successful.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Only an EXEC card needs to have $5K kept on it. You can lower a Signature card to $2K, and a Citi AMEX to $1K. Only keep a few extra $Ks on one card so you have something to move at Recon if you need to. Lower the rest of your Citi cards to minimum as soon as you meet the required bonus spend and you probably won't need to ever call Recon.
I have 5 open HH cards that are less than 6 months old. Rather than cancel so early I lowered the credit limits again from $5K to $2k.

I'm not going for another HH card until December so hopefully my streak of cards continues and I get # 16.

Thanks for letting me know what the minimum CL's are.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:58 pm

I have 5 open HH cards that are less than 6 months old. Rather than cancel so early I lowered the credit limits again from $5K to $2k.

I'm not going for another HH card until December so hopefully my streak of cards continues and I get # 16.

I've been able to lower the CL on my Citi HHonors signature card to $1K. I wasn't sure what the rules were, so I kept inching down. Took one card to $1.5K and another to $1K. No problem doing it via SM.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Sure, anything I can do to help out a fellow F/Ter.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
I've been able to lower the CL on my Citi HHonors signature card to $1K. I wasn't sure what the rules were, so I kept inching down. Took one card to $1.5K and another to $1K. No problem doing it via SM.
Thank you for posting that. I've had Citi reps tell me the minimum for a Signature card is $3K. So that's all I've been asking for. Read your post, SMed Citi to lower a HH Visa Sig card to $1k, and an hour later it was done. Since I plan on canceling this card soon to avoid the AF, the lower the CL the better.

For anyone wanting to do this, Citi typically SMs you back and warns you that if they lower it for you, you won't be able to raise the CL on that exact card for the next six months. So when I ask them to lower my CL, I say in my first message "I understand this means I may not be able to increase this CL for 6 months, and I'm find with that". Then they lower it right away, and you don't have to SM them twice.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:09 pm

So the link in the wiki (with no landing page) is still good for 50K? I have a working landing page for 40K that I can use as a fallback, but if the wiki link is still good, obviously I'll go with that.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:59 pm

So the link in the wiki (with no landing page) is still good for 50K? I have a working landing page for 40K that I can use as a fallback, but if the wiki link is still good, obviously I'll go with that.
I used the link twice for myself and my spouse and it works. Got the letter saying that I will get the 50k bonus points.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:58 pm

did the Hilton cards always have this " This offer is only valid for new accounts."
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by venkallu
I used the link twice for myself and my spouse and it works. Got the letter saying that I will get the 50k bonus points.
Great. Thanks for confirming.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007
did the Hilton cards always have this " This offer is only valid for new accounts."
Yes, and all that means is when you apply for a new card, that in itself is a new account. I think that is just to prevent someone who applied for a lessor offer from calling them and asking for their bonus to be upgraded to a better offer.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:05 pm

Yes, and all that means is when you apply for a new card, that in itself is a new account. I think that is just to prevent someone who applied for a lessor offer from calling them and asking for their bonus to be upgraded to a better offer.

I applied for 50K twice and Citi matched the (then current) 60K offer both times just for asking.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:48 pm

I assume it's either (a) to stop long time cardholders from calling up and asking why they can't have 50,000 free HHonors points or (b) to make people think the card can't be churned. (b) doesn't really make sense because it seems like an easy coding change to make sure nobody gets the bonus more than once, but if you can stop x% of potential churners just by telling them they can't churn, that's easier than changing your coding. I remember how surprised I was last fall when I discovered flyertalk wikis that laid out the rules for cards that could be churned. I would have started churning years ago had I known, but every cc signup bonus always said the bonus was limited to new accounts. Silly me for believing that.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:07 pm

I remember how surprised I was last fall when I discovered flyertalk wikis that laid out the rules for cards that could be churned. I would have started churning years ago had I known, but every cc signup bonus always said the bonus was limited to new accounts. Silly me for believing that.
Related thought: I wonder how much longer Citi will allow rapid churning of any of their cards. I can't understand why they would "fix" the churnability loophole for some cards (e.g., the AAdvantage Platinum card) but not others (e.g., the Exec card and the HHonors card). Better get while the gettin is good.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:11 am

Related thought: I wonder how much longer Citi will allow rapid churning of any of their cards. I can't understand why they would "fix" the churnability loophole for some cards (e.g., the AAdvantage Platinum card) but not others (e.g., the Exec card and the HHonors card). Better get while the gettin is good.
Chase, Amex have in place methods to restrict out right churrnig-- I would assume it is just a matter of time until they put a 18 month clause in it ,the only thing that may be stopping them is that what citi must pay for Hilton points1/10 of a cent? (I value them at 1/3 of a cent) is so low that they figure it is worth it to get you to spend on the card --Citi has never been one of the best run banks and is still not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.