Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have read a few reports of Citi classifying gift cards as cash advances.

Has anyone bought a gift card using the the HH visa and it wasn't classified as a purchase ?

I am doing a few spends right now and I do not MS. I was thinking of buying $1000 costco gift card to get the spend doe fast.

Thanks
Only when you buy it from a financial institution, such as AMEX, Metabank.

It is a Purchase if you buy it from a retailer. We bought gift cards sold at retailer with citicards all the time.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
This application was made on 6/15 so the email came eight days later. On the last card, I applied on 6/1 and got the email 6/11. The card then arrived on 6/16. I'm hopeful I get the recently approved card by this weekend, which should give me enough time to finish the spending before I leave on 7/15.
The email is sent when the card is generated, i.e. with the account number.

Husband got the email dd June 20 Fri on an instant approval dd June 17 Tue. Card arrived yesterday June 23 the following Mon. So it took Citi 3 days to generate an account number after approval and then mail it the same day the email is generated.

We normally lower credit line after bonus posted, but in light of the time frame on this offer expiration date, we lowered the credit line to 5K on the activation call, following flyer4512's lead Hopefully husband would get another instant approval on his next application in a few days.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Only when you buy it from a financial institution, such as AMEX, Metabank.

It is a Purchase if you buy it from a retailer. We bought gift cards sold at retailer with citicards all the time.
So Costco online should be OK ?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Costco is not going to tell Citi they sold you a cash card. They are simply going to report you spent $x with them.

We have been buying $5K in OV cards at CVS for all 7 of our AA EXEC cards with no problem at all.

If you are still concerned about this, call the number on the back of your cc, and ask them to set the cash advance limit at zero.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: All of em...
Instant approval today for the 60k link w/$8,500 credit limit with 8 hard inquiries in the last 6 months. Currently have 2 open Hilton cards, and 5 other open Citi cards (total 7). No Citi apps in the last 3.5 months.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:10 pm

Just applied for the 60K card. My first ever non instant approval with this card.

I wasn't denied, gave me the needs further review line and they will email within a week so we'll see.

Approval email came today with $11K CL. I'll lower it to $5K when I activate and get one or possibly even 2 more cards before 8/31
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:38 pm

applied 5/28 - instant approval, no other open citi cards

applied today 6/25 - instant approval, just the other HHonors card open, $8500 CL. just open AMEX SPG BIZ last month as well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Husband's account applied 06/17. Instant Approval. 13.5K line. Approval email came 06/20. Card arrived 06/23.
Lowered line to 5K at activation.
Applied again 06/29 (forgot to do it on the 8 days mark ) Instand Approval. same 13.5K line.

Plan to do 2 more iteration before 08/31 but may be cutting it a bit close due to my forgetfulness. Hopefully the link would last thru 08/31 as Citi's links usually do. Else just go back to the 50K $50 link.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:34 am

You don't actually need it to last until the 31st. You are good to go again on August 21st and August 29th.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge
You don't actually need it to last until the 31st. You are good to go again on August 21st and August 29th.
Yes in theory. Though Citi's clock is rather finicky. Padding it with a couple days would be safer than being caught in whatever glitch, then come up empty-handed with the clock being re-set.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:40 am

Yes in theory. Though Citi's clock is rather finicky. Padding it with a couple days would be safer than being caught in whatever glitch, then come up empty-handed with the clock being re-set.
I was already padding it by 5 days past the 60 days. Are there any data points on 65 days not being enough?
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there any data points on 65 days not being enough?
That's not the issue. Your math is the issue!

Husband's account applied 06/17. Instant Approval. 13.5K line. Approval email came 06/20. Card arrived 06/23.
Lowered line to 5K at activation.
Applied again 06/29 (forgot to do it on the 8 days mark ) Instand Approval. same 13.5K line.

Plan to do 2 more iteration before 08/31 but may be cutting it a bit close due to my forgetfulness. Hopefully the link would last thru 08/31 as Citi's links usually do. Else just go back to the 50K $50 link.
I was already padding it by 5 days past the 60 days.
No you weren't. 6/29 to 8/29 is only 61 days by my math. How do you get it to work out to 65 days by your math???

The 8 day rules and 65 day rules are independent of each other. You always have to count 65 days between 1st and 3rd, or 2nd and 4th, or 3rd and 5th, or 4th and 6th, etc, applications. You can't just count 65 days from 1st and to 3rd and then count 8 days from that for the 4th, if the 2nd was more than 8 days from the 1st, as Happy clearly explained was in their situation.

Having said that: August 31 is in the middle of a 3-day weekend. The next day, September 1, is a bank holiday. What are the chances that Citi will take that link down in the middle of the holiday weekend? (And September 1 would be 64 days, and I'm not sure whether we have any data points of failure after 64 days.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 1, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:46 pm

This may be useful to people counting 65 days and such:

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
This may be useful to people counting 65 days and such:

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html
Thanks Michael for a handy tool.

The key to know is, any app whether it is successful or failure, would reset the clock. So count your days carefully, people!

We will see how Citi's tradition on offer expiration plays out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.