Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why are AA, Expedia and Hilton cards discussed in the ThankYou Rewards forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

It is a bit confusing placing this thread in the Citi Thank You forum, as this card does not earn TY points.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
It is a bit confusing placing this thread in the Citi Thank You forum, as this card does not earn TY points.
This is not the "Citi Thank You" forum.

This is the "Citi | Thank You Rewards" forum. Ie, it's for both Thank You Rewards and other Citi cards. That's what the "|" divider between "Citi" and "Thank You Rewards" means.

So this thread is in the right place. If you don't like how the forum name is displayed, that discussion belongs elsewhere.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Understood. This thread could be placed in the AA forum. However, because the application, retention and cancellation processes are controlled by the bank rather than the airline, and are common to all cards from that issuer, the decision was made to allow some discussion of AA, Expedia and Hilton cards in this forum. If you want to discuss valuation or redemption of AAdvantage miles, please visit the AA forum.

Similar decisions were made with regard to co-branded cards issued by American Express and Chase.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:40 am

All the credit card forums are named like this. How is this confusing?

American Express | Membership Rewards
Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Citi | ThankYou Rewards

It's the bank, then the name of the major brand of rewards points. All have sub brands within them(Amex=SPG, Chase-Hyatt, etc.)
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Furthermore, if you're looking at a list of forums (under Miles&Points), you should see a description of each one (or do mobile FT users not see that?). In that description of the Citi forum, it already explains that these partner cards are also being discussed in this forum. It says this for the Citi forum:
Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Discuss Citi cards which earn ThankYou points including Preferred, Premier, Prestige and CitiBusiness cards. This forum also hosts limited discussion of co-branded American Airlines and Hilton Hotels cards issued by Citibank. However, reward redemption and valuation topics are covered in the AAdvantage and HHonors forums.
(I notice it doesn't mention Expedia cards in that description though. Until I saw the title of this post, I didn't even realize Citi issued Expedia cards. )
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is simply a naming issue.

You can discuss Citi's products in here as well (like Citigold offiers).
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

It was not my intention to start a new thread, the mods must have done that for me.

I simply did not know what "|" means in this context. I thought "Citi | Thank you" meant "Thank you only cards from Citi". My apologies.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I simply did not know what "|" means in this context.
I would have preferred "&" or the word "and" , but there is a technical problem (on some devices) using "&" in forum names, and TalkBoard preferred not to use "and". If in doubt, read the forum description:

Discuss Citi cards which earn ThankYou points including Preferred, Premier, Prestige and CitiBusiness cards. This forum also hosts limited discussion of co-branded American Airlines and Hilton Hotels cards issued by Citibank. However, reward redemption and valuation topics are covered in the AAdvantage and HHonors forums.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:38 pm

It was not my intention to start a new thread, the mods must have done that for me.

I simply did not know what "|" means in this context. I thought "Citi | Thank you" meant "Thank you only cards from Citi". My apologies.
No need to apologize. It's a very poor naming convention. There's no reason to list the names of each company's proprietary rewards currency in the forum name, especially when many (or most) of the cards that reward those currencies are less popular than other cards offered by the same companies. It's just extraneous information. So no, your confusion is not unfounded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.