Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, United, Continental, USAir
Originally Posted by jamflyer
Just checked and its allowing me the 25% discount. I get the feeling that this will be a feature of the program rather than a promo or a system glitch. ^
I agree

but I doubt it will allow 1 point + cash.

It will require some minimum # of points or all points to get the fare

Last edited by poorbot; Feb 20, 2011 at 5:52 pm Reason: typo: fair changed to fare :)
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:45 am

Does it look like this is a limited time offer? or that they're just playing around with their redemption levels? or permanent, for now?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:47 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Data point: This worked with a friend's account which only has the Citi Plat AmEx linked to it.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by poorbot
I agree

but I doubt it will allow 1 point + cash.

It will require some minimum # of points or all points to get the fare
When I tested this out a couple of weeks ago...you had to use at least 1000 points, I think. still not very many, but higher than 1
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
I have closed my Citi Plat Amex and downgraded Citi PPE to non elite last year. Today tried to call to upgrade PP card back, but they say, they don't do it. Any ideas? Nothing to do short of opening a new card?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American, United, Continental, USAir
Originally Posted by JerryFu
When I tested this out a couple of weeks ago...you had to use at least 1000 points, I think. still not very many, but higher than 1
I used 100 for each ticket

I've heard single digits has worked for others though
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by al613
I have closed my Citi Plat Amex and downgraded Citi PPE to non elite last year. Today tried to call to upgrade PP card back, but they say, they don't do it. Any ideas? Nothing to do short of opening a new card?
that's cuz they are phasing out PPE and Amex Plat for the new Thankyou Premier card...you could apply for one of those. Also I was told last week if you are Citigold, they waive the $125 annual fee on the ThankYou Premier Card.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:31 am

Is there anyone here that can attest that fares booked with the 25% discount are eligible for FF mileage? (has anyone flown on one of these tickets and earned miles?) I've submitted this question before and no one seems to be absolutely certain. Thank you.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by JerryFu
that's cuz they are phasing out PPE and Amex Plat for the new Thankyou Premier card...you could apply for one of those. Also I was told last week if you are Citigold, they waive the $125 annual fee on the ThankYou Premier Card.
I see.. I doubt it makes sense to apply for a new card with a hope this mistake is on when I do get a card. Hard to decide
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by jdschwartz78
Is there anyone here that can attest that fares booked with the 25% discount are eligible for FF mileage? (has anyone flown on one of these tickets and earned miles?) I've submitted this question before and no one seems to be absolutely certain. Thank you.
Yes, they should be eligible for FF mileage as they are not any hidden fare basis (unlike priceline's bidding fares). Hope this helps.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I just booked an one-way ticket on UA. The price on the ticket was $209++, and I only redeemed 15,800 points. It was booked in V, and it was upgradable.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
I was just going over the Fidelity Amex benefit and looking at their flight redemption option through their World Points program. It appears that the same booking engine used by WP is now being used by TYN. They have various discounts (from memory - system down) 25k points for domestic tickets upto $400 and other variants depending on destination. Since both programs uses the same bookin engine UI - so this further strengthens my belief that the discount will be a permanent fixture of the program).
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
belief that the discount will be a permanent fixture of the program).
I cannot think of any reason that Citi or the site operator would intend to offer discounts of this magnitude on tickets purchased with money. It is perfectly plausible that they intended to increase the redemption value of the points from $0.01 to (say) $0.0125, but because they allow mixed points + cash redemptions their implementation has an unintended effect.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
so this further strengthens my belief that the discount will be a permanent fixture of the program.
Yes, permanent fixture of the program, for now. ^
Old Feb 25, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by mia
I cannot think of any reason that Citi or the site operator would intend to offer discounts of this magnitude on tickets purchased with money. It is perfectly plausible that they intended to increase the redemption value of the points from $0.01 to (say) $0.0125, but because they allow mixed points + cash redemptions their implementation has an unintended effect.
The discount on the cash is a bit off an oddity - but the underlying hope is that the discount atleast when using points may be a permanent part of the program. Below is the wording from the Wold Points program - if you are booking a ticket 21 days in advance and with a Sat night stay, there are some good discounts available - but unlike TY cant mix points and cash.

Basic Air Rewards
The amount of such fee(s) will be disclosed at the point of redemption. The number of Points and corresponding MDV required for coach-class Basic Air Rewards are: within the 48 continental states of the U.S.: 25,000/$400; from the 48 states to Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico: 35,000/$600; from the 48 states to Alaska, Hawaii, the Bahamas, Bermuda or the Caribbean; 45,000/$600; from the 48 states to Europe: 60,000/$800; and from the 48 states to Central or South America, Asia, Africa, or the South Pacific: 85,000/$1,150. The number of Points and corresponding MDV required for first- or business-class air rewards from the 48 states to any location listed above, are: 100,000/$1,500; 135,000/$2,000; 200,000/$3,000; 265,000/$4,000; 335,000/$5,000. References to the 48 states include travel to the District of Columbia
FlexAir Rewards

FlexAir Rewards begin at 15,000 Points, but have no corresponding maximum dollar value. You must obtain FlexAir Rewards by redeeming Points. If the Points value of a FlexAir Reward exceeds your points available, you may purchase the additional Points required

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.