Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
I am so confused by the terms and conditions of using ThankYou points. If I book a refundable AA ticket, how does a refund work? Do I get my ThankYou points back or the value of the ThankYou points? Is it at 1.6 cents each? Or do I go to AA to get a voucher for the amount of the ticket? Also, if it is a fully flexible (Y) ticket, do I need to pay to make changes? I wanted to book with my ThankYou points in order to earn more miles but if the ticket is no longer refundable I am not sure it is worth it.
I'm in the same situation and saw that you never got a reply. I posted this question in FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi ThankYou Rewards>Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes effective July 23, 2017.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any reason that the portal can't book certain flights that are far in the future, but they're bookable on AA.com?

Looking to book a flight for next May (and burn my remaining TYP before 1.6 goes away and can't pull anything up on the portal.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Any reason that the portal can't book certain flights that are far in the future, but they're bookable on AA.com?

Looking to book a flight for next May (and burn my remaining TYP before 1.6 goes away and can't pull anything up on the portal.
As long as those flights show up on aa.com, you can call Citi, and book those flights over the phone. They will price out accordingly (1.6c/pt for AA).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:15 pm

Can you call to book in V or W on delta instead of the default E? No option with online portal.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Refund / repurchase of 1.6x AA ticket

I would like to make one last purchase of leisure flight tickets on AA before July 23, have not yet finalized travel plans.

Has anyone been successful using TY points to buy refundable tickets on AA, being able to use it to purchase other tickets on AA, or simply obtain a cash refund? If yes, what is the process?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
I would like to make one last purchase of leisure flight tickets on AA before July 23, have not yet finalized travel plans.

Has anyone been successful using TY points to buy refundable tickets on AA, being able to use it to purchase other tickets on AA, or simply obtain a cash refund? If yes, what is the process?
Refunds typically go back to the original form of payment. I don't think an airport ticket counter will just "cash you out" on a refundable ticket.

Wholly changing to other tickets may be possible. I did this with TYP when the program was very new...changed transcon J (I think) to some other type of ticket. No recent experience with it.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by nesnith
Yes. You can call Citi, and ask the Thank You travel agent to help you book the flights, even if the flights are not showing up on the Thank You portal.

You will need to provide the relevant flights info (e.g. date, flight numbers, etc.). They will then confirm the cash cost, and translate that into TY points cost (1.3c/pt or 1.6c/pt depending on the card you hold).
Any chance the same would work for hotel stays?
There are specific hotels I'd like to stay at. If they are not offered on the website, I assume they are not available with TYPs. It would be great to be able to book them with a phone call.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Any chance the same would work for hotel stays?
There are specific hotels I'd like to stay at. If they are not offered on the website, I assume they are not available with TYPs. It would be great to be able to book them with a phone call.
You should be able to call the concierge to book any hotel that has a website you can point them at. The downside is you'll only get 1.25x for your points.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
You should be able to call the concierge to book any hotel that has a website you can point them at. The downside is you'll only get 1.25x for your points.
Thanks, if that works for me, you just made a lot more hotels available, than I previously thought.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Thank you:
"ThankYou Rewards Help
How do I use Points Concierge?
Log on to www.thankyou.com and complete a simple three-step form or call the ThankYou® Service Center and describe your desired reward. If we can find and price what you are looking for, the Points Expert will let you know how many ThankYou Points will be needed to redeem for almost any reward you desire. Please allow two to five business days for the Points Expert to respond to your request. Certain restrictions apply."

Do Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards offer a similar service, making hotel rewards available? Beyond what is displayed online.
Almost 10 years of playing this game and I still have a lot to learn.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP Gold 75k, Marriott Platinum
Refund Experience

Just so everyone is aware - I recently processed a refund on a non-refundable ticket booked entirely with TY points. The process was simple:

1. Called Connexions and requested a refund
2. They verified the fare change / cancellation policies ($115 cancellation with CM Y fare)
3. I was refunded the equivalent of the original fare minus the cancellation penalty through TY points
4. The refund took a couple days to process, but the points were back into my account within ~3-4 days

Overall, it was a very straightforward process and no different than processing a cancellation with the airline itself -- with the exception that you are receiving TY points in return.

I'm assuming that a refundable ticket would be processed in the exact same manner without any cancellation fees.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Is the TY portal down for anyone else? Funny that it conveniently seems to be on the last day before devaluation. Citi's IT really sucks - yet another reason this card is easy to drop!
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Is the TY portal down for anyone else? Funny that it conveniently seems to be on the last day before devaluation. Citi's IT really sucks - yet another reason this card is easy to drop!
Same issue here, called and was told it was completely down. I'll make sure I get the 1.6 when it is back up.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Originally Posted by benamaster
Same issue here, called and was told it was completely down. I'll make sure I get the 1.6 when it is back up.
It wouldn't surprise me if they got swamped with last-minute purchases. I was one of them; at 1231 (AM) on the 23rd I got the email acknowledging mine.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Good luck trying to get them to honor it. I had the same experience on 7/22, and called up today. Had to talk to a supervisor who (after an hour on the phone) 'put in a request' to have the difference in Thank You points credited, but could not book the flight at the old rate. We'll see if it actually gets granted - there was no reference number or anything, just that I'd get a 'call back' with the result in 3-5 business days. I'm actually thinking she was just trying to get me off the phone....we'll see what actually happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.