Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Citi ThankYou points card?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Best Citi ThankYou points card?

My Citi Platinum Amex card has almost been opened for 2 years now and I'll no longer earn 5/3 thankyou points.

What are my odds of getting them to continue providing me some level of bonus points on this card? I know 5/3 is probably impossible, but is there something that might do?

If I convert the card to another citi card with no annual fee, I won't lose my earned thankyou points, right? If I already have a diamond preferred rewards card, can I still convert this to another diamond preferred rewards card? Main concern is that I don't want these earned points to be lost/expire.

What's currently the best card for earning thankyou points? Since I have so many saved up, I'd prefer thankyou points.

If there's a better card that allows me to earn points through another network, I'd definitely consider that too.

I've mainly used points for travel via expedia at $.01 per point, so earning cash at the same ratio would be acceptable as well.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
The Citi Forward card provides 5 TY points per dollar for Restaurants, Movies, Music, Books (including any Amazon purchase) and 1 TY point per dollar for everything else. I believe that's currently the best for earning multiples of TY points if you do alot of dining out/entertainment and seek a no annual fee card.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by islandguy84
The Citi Forward card provides 5 TY points per dollar for Restaurants, Movies, Music, Books (including any Amazon purchase) and 1 TY point per dollar for everything else. I believe that's currently the best for earning multiples of TY points if you do alot of dining out/entertainment and seek a no annual fee Icard.
I am in the same situation as OP. Thanks for your suggestion, I will have to look into it.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I wouldn't even mind an annual fee card if the points were good.

I was getting close to the 150,000 max points per year. That easily pays an annual fee.

Any more suggestions?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:30 pm

These days Citi is not granting card conversions (or downgrades). Since you appear to have large spend on CC, you may want call them for a retention offer for your current card. You'll need either be prepared to use up the existing TYP (before you cancel) or pay the annul fee in order to maintain the current TYP from that CC.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deltame
These days Citi is not granting card conversions (or downgrades). Since you appear to have large spend on CC, you may want call them for a retention offer for your current card. You'll need either be prepared to use up the existing TYP (before you cancel) or pay the annul fee in order to maintain the current TYP from that CC.
Ouch! Really? When did that start?

I certainly want to be careful not to lose the TYPs I've built up.

I was just hoping to downgrade the card and keep the TYPs.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
TYP have been severely degraded now... unfortunately.

If you have an account with Schwab already, maybe you can get them to give you their CC, which is currently (IMHO) the best one out htere.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:05 am
Original Poster

I saw the Schwab card, but I don't have a Schwab account now, so I can't get it?

Anything else good now?

What about Fidelity? Looks like some decent cards, but I don't have an account with them either..

Anything else?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I was in the same situation with my Platinum, having had it for two years at the beginning of 2010. I kept the card and paid the annual fee, partly because I like the free credit monitoring that comes with it and partly because I didn't want to lose TY points.

I then signed up for the Diamond Preferred card which has no annual fee and gives me 5 TY points on groceries/gas/drugstores for one year.

After a year I'll find the next card with a special promotion - I believe there is a MasterCard that looks good for that.

I don't need all these cards but if they make me jump through hoops for the TY points, I'll do it. I use the points almost exclusively for airline tickets.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, Marriott Gold
I agree that you should first try getting a retention offer (see other thread on that). At least on my PPE I've had luck getting 2 bonus points for 6 months twice in a row now (which makes it an effective 6TYP/$ for that particular card)
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by balderdash
I agree that you should first try getting a retention offer (see other thread on that). At least on my PPE I've had luck getting 2 bonus points for 6 months twice in a row now (which makes it an effective 6TYP/$ for that particular card)
Based on your post, I called and was offered either $75 credit if I spend $4,500.00 over the next 3 months or double points the next 6 months. I went with the double points as I am working 3 different card promos and hopefully would not be able to make the $4,500.00 the next 3 months.

I know a lot of people no longer like the TY program - but I am having great success with this for my current needs - Marriott gift cards and cheap (relative term here) flights.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Based on your post, I called and was offered either $75 credit if I spend $4,500.00 over the next 3 months or double points the next 6 months. I went with the double points as I am working 3 different card promos and hopefully would not be able to make the $4,500.00 the next 3 months.

I know a lot of people no longer like the TY program - but I am having great success with this for my current needs - Marriott gift cards and cheap (relative term here) flights.
That's pretty much exactly what I've used my TY points for too.

So you still have to pay the annual fee, but will get double the points for the next 6 months?

Double what points? Not the 3/5 that we got for the last 2 years, right? Double whatever it reverts to after the first 2 years? Which is what?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by lexluthor
That's pretty much exactly what I've used my TY points for too.

So you still have to pay the annual fee, but will get double the points for the next 6 months?

Double what points? Not the 3/5 that we got for the last 2 years, right? Double whatever it reverts to after the first 2 years? Which is what?
Yes, I still pay the annual fee but will get the 2 points per $ and 3 for the special categories. Once matched to flight points (which I have a ton of) its 4/6 - not bad.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:19 pm

linked to a card

so let me get this straight.... typs are linked to a specific card?

im in a similar boat as the op. i have the 3/5 promo that expires in october.

i lose my points if i drop the card? even if i have another typ card?

that seems harsh!

i got them to waive my $125 fee once but im not sure theyd do it again going forward.

i was also maxing the typs each year (50k spend).
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jamflyer
Yes, I still pay the annual fee but will get the 2 points per $ and 3 for the special categories. Once matched to flight points (which I have a ton of) its 4/6 - not bad.
You have flight points on a Citi Platinum Amex card? I thought that was only on Premier Pass??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.