Wiki Posts
Search

Ireland alert!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ireland alert!

Just browsing again, noticing how all the european hotels seem to have raised their redemption rates considerably.

But wait! All the hotels in Ireland (or at least the ones I've checked, including Dublin and Cork) are going down to 8000 points/night from July 1 through Nov 30.

I've only stayed at the Clarion IFSC in Dublin, but I can recommend it. At 8000 points/night it's a stone steal!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BigLar
Just browsing again, noticing how all the european hotels seem to have raised their redemption rates considerably.

But wait! All the hotels in Ireland (or at least the ones I've checked, including Dublin and Cork) are going down to 8000 points/night from July 1 through Nov 30.

I've only stayed at the Clarion IFSC in Dublin, but I can recommend it. At 8000 points/night it's a stone steal!
As an example of the wild swings of fate (or Choice point redemption requirements), I had been following the IFSC for some months. Until the end of the "stay 2, get 1 free" promo, the rate was listed as 8000 points through 9/15 (and then 11/30 as that booking window opened). When the promo ended, it jumped to 20K. About a week ago, I looked again and saw the revisions you mentioned. Since my summer travel plans have changed, the reduction is not as critical as before, but it emphasizes the lesson with Choice points--get as high a status as you can get to lengthen your booking window and do not hesitate when you see a good rate (or even despair when you don't, as the rate may fall again).

I'm hoping for as good a deal next summer for my next planned Ireland visit. I'd rather spend 40-56K on this hotel for five to seven nights than use 60-112K SPG points to stay at the Westin Dublin or 150-210K HHonors points at the Hilton Dublin. Either of the latter redemptions would tap out my stash; the Choice redemption would only be one-fifth of my total points!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
We just returned from Ireland. We stayed at the Clarions in Sligo, Cork and Dublin IFSC. At 8,000 points, these were a steal. The hotel in Sligo, we were able to book suites for all three rooms. In Dublin, we were able to book a suite for my sister and her family and my other sister's room and my room were executive rooms with wrap around balconies with views of the river.

Now, if only the weather had been slightly better - but I guess I can't hold the hotels responsible for that!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KathinJax
We just returned from Ireland. We stayed at the Clarions in Sligo, Cork and Dublin IFSC. At 8,000 points, these were a steal. The hotel in Sligo, we were able to book suites for all three rooms. In Dublin, we were able to book a suite for my sister and her family and my other sister's room and my room were executive rooms with wrap around balconies with views of the river.

Now, if only the weather had been slightly better - but I guess I can't hold the hotels responsible for that!
Very glad to hear this worked out. And, when I get back to Ireland next year, I'll take advantage of the Sligo location as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.