Little League rate

Subscribe
There is the thread from this summer saying that the Little League rate is publicly available, but when I get a quote it says "There must be a member in the room to receive the discount." Should I expect this to be enforced? I'm eligible for the 50+ rate, which would be $3.50 more for this one-night stay; I'm thinking I might as well take that rather than get branded as a deceiver. If I book the Little League and get it denied, can I always switch to the 50+, or is there the risk they'll say that bucket is sold out and I need to pay full rate?
I've never had any Choice hotel anywhere ask me for ID for any rate I could select.

Besides, I think the LL rate is available for anybody.
Quote: I've never had any Choice hotel anywhere ask me for ID for any rate I could select.
I can only think of one that asked me for my government ID when booking government rate.
I was asked - but only asked - about the rate when I used the Little League rate in Stockholm, Sweden.

"What is this rate?"
"Little League Baseball. I'm the parent of a Little League player."
"Ah, okay."

That was the extent of it.

Because Mom qualifies for Silver (60+), I had to do a little bit of dancing on my machine but finally got her booked for the Thanksgiving weekend in Williamsburg at that rate. I warned her to make sure she packs her driving license, not just because she's driving, but because they'll definitely want to check that one.
She and I shared a room in Virginia this spring and the Sleep Inn did ask for her ID to qualify for the rate.

Smarter Travel/Smarter Living rate never was questioned. AARP has not been questioned (Mom used it once), but I don't yet qualify for 50+ so I don't book with that code.

Little League, as far as I can tell, only requires that you have interest in the sport, not that you are a parent or relative of a player.
The Choice website specifically states that everyone is eligible for the Little Leage rate. If you want to be extra cautious, they even provide a printable "identification card": http://www.choicesportstravel.com/pd...vings_card.pdf

http://www.choicesportstravel.com/littleLeague.jsp
Quote:
Save on baseball team travel! Coaches, parents, family and friends of Little Leaguers® receive at least 15% off your next stay with Choice Hotels. But you don’t have to be affiliated with the game to receive the discount – everyone qualifies. Best of all, it’s valid for any Choice hotel, anytime.
And if you'd rather support the LPGA, there's a similar discount for all there, as well:
http://www.choicesportstravel.com/lpga.jsp
One thing that I have found- on some hotels, this discount may not be available. In that case, the hotel may not show up at all in the search results- even though it has lower rates than the others. This has happened to me repeatedly when looking for a discount at the EconoLodge Milwaukee Airport. It just doesn't show up when using a discount code.
I reserved a room just now with the Little League Discount, but since I'll be there alone, not with "a member in the room to receive the discount" and I REALLY REALLY REALLY need the Choice points to post on time, I got cold feet and decided to change it to "Mature Traveler Over 50".

The rate went up $3, which I expected. But it still says, "Reservation made by Little League Baseball."

I wonder if they will get some commission anyway?

Wonder if to be absolutely sure there are no problems, I should cancel and rebook?
Quote: I reserved a room just now with the Little League Discount, but since I'll be there alone, not with "a member in the room to receive the discount" and I REALLY REALLY REALLY need the Choice points to post on time, I got cold feet and decided to change it to "Mature Traveler Over 50".
The Little League discount is open to all, as quoted in post 5 and now again here!

Quote:
Coaches, parents, family and friends of Little Leaguers receive at least 15% off your next stay with Choice Hotels. But you don’t have to be affiliated with the game to receive the discount everyone qualifies. Best of all, it’s valid for any Choice hotel, anytime. And, proceeds go back to benefit Little League Baseball and Softball.
You can even print out a 'savings card' if you are worried (though there's no reason to be concerned):
http://www.choicesportstravel.com/pd...vings_card.pdf
Quote: The Little League discount is open to all, as quoted in post 5 and now again here!

You can even print out a 'savings card' if you are worried (though there's no reason to be concerned):
http://www.choicesportstravel.com/pd...vings_card.pdf

If it's "open to anyone," why the reference to a "member" by Choice in the printed confirmation?

That's all I wonder.
Quote: If it's "open to anyone," why the reference to a "member" by Choice in the printed confirmation?
It says that for all special rates. Don't worry about it. Print the savings card and show it if asked for proof of membership.

The Choice site makes it very very explicit that it is open to everyone.
Using it Tonight in Charlotte
Will post any difficulties, but I don't foresee any.
Absolutely no questions at all this weekend. Additionally, if the website shows no Little League rate availability, try the LPGA rate. I'm going to Tennessee in April and the LPGA rate is working for me where Little League is not.
I never had reason to think about it before, but it turns out the Little League Rate is available for booking by phone. Mrs. ftnoob and I stayed at Monterey Dunes one night with flexible plans for the next night; we ended up wanting to book not far down the road at one of several properties in Monterey; lowest cost was all we needed to know.

I couldn't find any free public WiFi to which I could connect, so I ended up calling from a Clarion parking lot to check rates on it and its sister (Quality?) immediately next door. After getting some initial quotes I asked the CSR if she could book the Little League rate. She didn't know what it was and asked for the file number. I didn't have it and she couldn't find it using "little league" but when I said "the full name is 'little league baseball' she did find it. She then gave me a quote that was 10% off the original quote. Oops, what's going on here? "How about the Clarion?" That one came up 15% off. Conclusion: the Quality had no LLB availability, the Clarion did. A whopping $3 additional savings, but, hey, this is FT, it matters to us!

I was disappointed I couldn't get a straight answer to the simple question, "which of your nearby properties has the lowest rate?", so I still wished I'd been able to find free WiFi.
Quote: I couldn't find any free public WiFi to which I could connect, so I ended up calling from a Clarion parking lot to check rates on it and its sister (Quality?) immediately next door.

[...]

I was disappointed I couldn't get a straight answer to the simple question, "which of your nearby properties has the lowest rate?", so I still wished I'd been able to find free WiFi.
So you're saying no free WiFi at the Quality?

In my experience, parking lots for Comfort Inns/Suites, and for Holiday Inns, are good bets for finding free WiFi (that doesn't require a passcode from the front desk!) when traveling. Not guaranteed, but more often than not.
Quote: So you're saying no free WiFi at the Quality?
Unlike the open free WiFi at the Monterey Dunes location, the Comfort, Quality, and Clarion in Monterey itself all required a login. I thought about trying at another chain, but my intent was to stay at a Choice; I could rationalize "borrowing" the WiFi at one of those properties as not stealing because I was only going to use it to decide which local Choice property to book. (It would have saved Choice the cost of my phone call also.)