Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Comfort Inn, Scarborough, ME (Grade B)

Hotel hopping for points, same (corporate) rate as the CS in Biddeford. LCD TV, decent internet. Room was clean, though not laid out well for business. Didn't do breakfast. Pool looked fine.

Biddeford is closer to my customer, so if I weren't chasing points I prolly would only stay there, but this is perfectly acceptable and closer to Portland.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Quality Inn, Lodi, CA (Grade: C-)

I wasn't happy with almost every aspect of this hotel.
- Lobby is small and cramped with no computer for guest use and tiny breakfast area. Plus when I arrived at 10:30 PM I had to talk through the window before they unlocked the door to let me check in (never a good sign).
- Hotel is older style with exterior courtyards and a too small parking lot.
- Room featured pealing wall paper, cracked bathroom tile and a crack on the toilet tank.
- Left room at 10 AM, came back at 2:30 for a nap to find room uncleaned. Maid walked in at 3 without knocking, was not agreeable about coming back in an hour to clean.
- View was of a junkyard.
- Sheets were dirty.

Still, it was walking distance to where I was going and the bed was somewhat comfortable.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by PASTORJ
3.Sleep inn DFW airport( Irving, TX)- Neat
The last 2 years haven't been kind to this property - its running down pretty quick. Paint peeling, floors not clean, that sort of thing.

Its sad because there seem to be a fair number of good reviews from past years like the post above.

However, the rate is rather low (I got $55 on a Thursday) and its in an easy access corridor to the airport (back roads can get you there without hitting the jammed up freeways in the AM).
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:43 am

St Laurent du Var (Nice), France

I needed to get out of Nice for a few days R & R and there's a Comfort Inn at St Laurent du Var (just west of Nice airport). 12k points a night (rack rate over 100 euros).

I stayed there for 3 nights and after being in France for 6 months and staying in hotels where the total room size was smaller than some of the hotel room bathrooms i'd had in the US. this place was a welcome change - in fact it was just like being in the US - large room that could use a spruce up / repaint in a hotel that could use a spruce up.

But having said that it was great - 2 minute walk to the beach (and there is a bit of a beach at St Laurent, as opposed to the Nice pebbles / rocks), big balcony with a sea / Alps view, a real bath (a real plus after 6 months of showers), a real relaxing atmosphere, 5 minutes walk from the CAP3000 mall and a multitiude of good restaurants at the beach / harbour, easy connection to Nice (train or for an easier walk to the hotel bus 52). All in all - a real relaxing stay - the hotel is no palace but hey - this is a comfort inn !
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:20 pm

Comfort Inn Conference Center, Pittsburgh, PA (Grade C+)

If you haven't been here before, and you arrive when it's dark, it can be a little weird getting to it. Uphill, twisty, dark road - keep going.

This is a rebranded Ramada (6 years ago), big hotel. Kind of weird old/new feel to it. Mostly clean, older furnishings and look. The bathrooms are kind of small, low water pressure, but the rooms are big enough with a good work area and LCD TV's. Internet is acceptable.

There is a restaurant/bar on premises, which is good since there doesn't appear to be anything in the immediate (3+ miles). They do close early, however, so I didn't get a chance to try it. It also serves as the breakfast room where they have what appear to be real scrambled eggs.

LPGA rate $72, which is a decent deal for the area.

Comfort Inn, Greensburg, PA (Grade B)

Rebranded HIE (3 years), right on US-30. There is a Red Lobster that basically shares the parking lot, a good Mexican restaurant (Cozumel) down the street a little, and a lot of other things nearby. Rooms are big and clean, large bathrooms. Internet is OK. Furnishings seem newer, LCD TV's, good working area. Micro and fridge seem to be included. Large, clean breakfast area.

LPGA rate $84

Comfort Inn, New Stanton, PA (Grade B-)

Right near the 76/70 interchange, I really hate the roads around there - a lot of truck traffic and the UPS distribution center is up the road. A decent number of interchange type restaurants.

Regular medal winner, clean enough. Work area is generally a little smaller, mechanicals are a little older. Comparing it to the Greensburg PA CI, it definitely has an older feel to it. One of the few that I can give a pool review on as my wife used it a while back, said it was "nice".

LPGA rate $84, but you can rarely get a room for that price.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Cambria Suites, Bloomington, MN: A-

Almost brand new property. I booked to impress a client of mine, he was not disappointed. Rooms were clean to almost perfection. Nice beds, updated entertainment and TV in the rooms. Many upscale hotels attempt to have very nice surroundings but details such as soundproofing are missed. This Cambria Suites did not miss this detail or any others, this hotel is in very close proximity to a major beltway that accesses metropolitan Minneapolis. Even a personal greeting from Concierge when called on just reinforced they do sweat the small stuff. The only thing that is a bit of a miss is the breakfast offerings. There is no doubt in my mind that the "real" breakfast food they offer comes with a charge. Other than that, this property is a great place to stay.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Quality Inn Natomas-Sacramento: C+

Property is near I-80 (just east of I-5) and is in a semi-ok area. Property feels old with exposed corridors, no elevators, poorly lit parking areas etc. Lobby area is however, nice and all staff members I dealt with were too. I did not like having to use the "after 10:30 PM" check in area where bulletproof glass seperates you from the staff.

Room was fine, though shower water pressure was poor and it took a while to get hot. TV was not a flat screen but was still nice.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Sleep Inn - Oxford, AL

My first experience in a Sleep Inn. I would describe it as half cut above economy lodgings. The bed was comfortable without meeting luxury standards. The breakfast was no better or worse than that in a chain a level or two higher. Quiet room, which is hard top find around here. Friendly front desk. $62 a night, or I'd have been at the Comfort Suites around the corner. I'm developing a list of acceptable rooms in the area that can be had for under $70 a night (unless there's a race at Talladega) and this one will stay on the list. With 3 kids in the area, we're here quite often.

Plusses: mini fridge and microwave. okay breakfast. comfortable bed. reasonable rate. Quiet room. Nice wall mounted flatscreen with local cable.

Minuses: leaky shower; wet floor, moldy edges. Frayed carpet. Need cable for internet access - sloooow.

Overall grade: C+ on the cusp of B-.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
Sleep Inn, Waldo, FL

Relatively new property between Jacksonville and Gainesville on US301. Easily the nicest place to stay in this small town. Only drawback I experienced was the hotel was almost full(drag strip was nearby and many drivers and crew stayed here) and the front desk clerk was working the breakfast room as well as her own job.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:24 pm

Comfort Inn, Bellerose, NY (Long Island) (NY530)

I don't have a lot of experience with hotels on Long Island, but I know this one was priced really well ($68/night LPGA), seems like a points steal at 10K, and was a five minute drive from my job.

Not disappointed. Newer, if not new, hotel. Small rooms (think NYC small, like 5˝ paces from door to wall, maybe 4 paces wide), but laid out well enough with an adequate workspace. Hotel Wifi is better than most, mechanicals are good, the place is clean, and the hotel is well situated - there are a lot of places to eat nearby, a 7-11 and a supermarket across the street. Neighborhood seems OK, I walked the four or five blocks to a laundromat without worries. Wall mounted 32''LCD, though not a great selection of channels.

LIRR is walking distance, I'm told it's about 45 minutes to Penn Station. About a half mile from the Cross Island. In any other location the hotel would rate a solid B, factor in value for the area and it may get an A.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:41 am

Cambria Suites Roanoke, VA (VA529)

Cambria Suites Roanoke, VA: A-/B+

I was on vacation and was visiting my alma mater. I really wanted to relax and so I booked one night here.

Took me a while to find the hotel. Also, a bit of a learning curve leaving the area for the beltway (poor signs). Upon check-in, great staff. Addressed me by Mr. (last name) each time I saw them. They took the time to address what was available to me, coffee, bar, exercise machines, parking areas, etc. The rooms are very modern, wonderful decor and nicely furnished. Not one, but two LCD TVs are available in each room. The layout is separated by a "sleeping area" and a "living room" area which is divided by a half-wall. This area looks like it is still developing (nearby hopsital, that's about it ) and many stores are a short 10-15 mins from the property.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:40 am

Clarion The Belle New Castle, DE (DE036)

Clarion The Belle New Castle, DE: B+

There is a funeral site behind this hotel and if you progress further, not much to see at all. Upon arrival, staff was very friendly, explained the on-site amenities and also asked about room preference. Absolutely large and beautiful lobby. Rooms are very clean, spotless. Updated modern TVs. The restrooms are also spotless, however the room I had did not have a tub, just a shower stall with sliding window doors. Windows in room do not open. Hotel wifi is decent, ask reception for password. What I enjoyed about this hotel was the fact that they had a snack bar, but they had very low prices for people staying there. Bottled water was $1.00, nutri-grain bars $1.00. They did not abuse the snack bar there by charging their guests exorbitant marked up prices. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:21 pm

Comfort Inn Long Island City, NY: B-

Hotel is in a great location, literally one block from the Queensboro Plaza Subway (N/Q/7) Station. The lobby area is nice and the employees I dealt with were helpful and friendly. There's only one elevator which is small and slow and the corridors are a bit narrow with dark lighting.

Room was small for a King especially for $109. Bed was uncomfortable with thin sheets and blankets and the shower water took forever to get hot. We did have a jacuzzi tub, however. Also, the TV in the room, an ancient 27 inch Zenith had a horrible picture (everything was very pink).

Surprisingly, breakfast was quite good. There was the usual selection of cereals, pastries, bagels and doughnuts but also waffles and some halfway decent croissants. For what I was using it for it worked out quite well.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
A+++++ Property = Comfort Suites Airport(FL077) Jacksonville, FL

Comfort Suites Airport(FL077)
1180 Airport Road, Jacksonville, FL, US, 32218
Phone: (904) 741-0505

Just completed a 2 night stay at this excellent hotel.
Probably new or newer hotel, well maintained, great service, good breakfast.
Clean Large Room ...
Old May 4, 2011, 5:55 am

quality inn chambersburg PA

Figured this was a good half way point to stop and lay my head for the night as I traveled south for a meeting. I checked In and got to my room, within minutes I noticed the mold on the ceiling. This was growing in two areas, the corner of the room and directly above the bed.. I was to darn tired to do anything as I had been driving for 9 hours and just wanted to sleep. I woke in the morning looking up from my bed at a 2'x3' area of mold directly above the bed.. Disgusted by this I left and continued my trip knowing I had a return date already booked with the same hotel in 7 days as I returned from my meeting.
7 days latter I checked in again and to my delight I had a different room. As I entered the room I saw it, mold in the corner of the room on the cieling and growing down the wall. It was not above the bed in this room but on the wall and ceiling in the corner. Again I had been driving from my meeting and been on the road for 9 hours and just wanted to sleep..
The only reason I went with this hotel was the location and the extra point I recieved as part of there promotion. There are many other hotels in this location to choose from and I will stay at a different hotel my next trip through, Even if I stay where I get no points,, Alittle dirt I can deal with, well abought anything I can deal with as I just look for a place to lay my head. However live active mold growing on the ceiling and walls in not acceptable by any means.. Never again will I stay here nor will I ever stay at a Quality Inn at all..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.