Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice Hotels Property Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Comfort Suites, Ramsey, MN: B+ (2nd stay)
Quality Inn, Rock Hill, SC: D (run, run, run away!!)
Comfort Suites, Rock Hill, SC: B
Comfort Suites, Charlotte Northlake, NC: A-
Quality Inn, Baltimore Downtown, MD: B+ (this one not to be confused with the other Quality Inn Baltimore, also, this property can be pricey)

If you are wondering why there are two Choice hotels at Rock Hill, it's because the QI was frightening enough that I checked in for a 5 night stay and checked out after 1. It's a property in SERIOUS need of a makeover in almost everything, including staff. There was an Econo Lodge across the street from this QI and word on the street (my coworkers) say it's a dump as well.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Comfort Suites - Oxford, AL. We stay here now when we visit the kids. Most nights, it beats surrounding properties by $10-20. Newish and clean with spacious rooms (not really a suite) with free wi-fi, okay breakfast, fridge and microwave, comfortable pillowtop mattress king bed and roomy bathroom (Mrs BV needs lots of counter space). We'll continue staying here until it needs renovation.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: Choice Privileges Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, National EA, Avis First, HHonors Silver, Delta Skymiles
Comfort Suites, 320 N. Michigan, Chicago IL

Rooms here are like apartments-we arrived early into town and just wanted to drop off our bag, but were given the key to a corner suite that blew us away! Platinum status is paying off! Huge living area with floor to ceiling windows, full kitchen, washer and dryer-it far exceeded our expectations. Great views of Michigan Avenue in both directions. It was also next door to a Chipotle ^!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Quality Inn Qualcomm San Diego- grade F (fly (do not run) away)). They set new lows. FT is not big enough for me to list all the issues. The rooms were probably last refinished in the 1960s. It goes downhill from there.

Comfort Inn Lathrop - grade A nice place, decent sized clean room with micro and fridge. Decent hot breakfast with healthy offerings.

Quality Inn Vancouver, WA.-grade F These should be "lack of "Quality Inns. Supposed to be undergoing renovations but we did not see any. Let's say that this is in a neck and neck race with the Qualcomm site for worst hotel, though I think that this one might be a little better.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by mclee19
Stayed at the Comfort Inn off of US-22 in Bethlehem, PA last night. AAA price of $72+, good value. My only nit-picky complaint, and it's minor, is the sink area was a little small. But I'll counter that by saying the shelves in the shower were BIG.

Funny the little things some people notice.
Addendum: Yeah, they pi$$ed me off. They had no problems charging me the extra $5 for a room upgrade, but they said they couldn't upgrade me.

Now, given this info:

Originally Posted by current status
Choice Privileges Points: 135,798
YTD eligible nights toward Diamond: 54
(those numbers are low because of lack of locations and Choice's tendency to perturb me regularly...)

there is NO reason for me to stay here for the two weeks of work this visit is the planning meeting for.

What are the odds that I'll get a chance to fill out a survey?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by mclee19
Addendum: Yeah, they pi$$ed me off. They had no problems charging me the extra $5 for a room upgrade, but they said they couldn't upgrade me.

Now, given this info:

(those numbers are low because of lack of locations and Choice's tendency to perturb me regularly...)

there is NO reason for me to stay here for the two weeks of work this visit is the planning meeting for.

What are the odds that I'll get a chance to fill out a survey?
That stinks. I would never expect upgrades at Choice properties though.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by enginero
That stinks. I would never expect upgrades at Choice properties though.
I have about a 75% hit rate, and it isn't really based on how often I stay at a property. Almost always when I am denied it's because there is a significant price difference between my room and the upgrade room.

Basically, I am trying to game the system a little, as I will reserve a two full bed room if it's cheaper, then count on an upgrade to a queen/king. I'm not expecting to be ungraded to a suite (though I have been, and it's nice) or a jacuzzi room (don't want it, they tend to have lesser showers).

The "business" rooms at Red Roofs have gotten much nicer, and they are finally through their contract with T-Mobile, so the internet access has opened up a bit. They tend to be right in my price point, so......
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:10 pm

Clarion Hotel San Francisco Airport

Grade: B

Dated but clean and functional. Perfectly adequate if you need a place to stay near the airport for an early morning flight the next day. Shuttle to the airport runs every 20 minutes starting at 4:20 am. Hotel is also walking distance (<10 minutes) from the Millbrae BART Station.

I redeemed 8000 Choice Points for a one night stay, which is a total bargain.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF_trotter

I redeemed 8000 Choice Points for a one night stay, which is a total bargain.
I'm shocked. It's hard enough to find an 8K pointer, that isn't a dump, let alone close by a major city airport. Nice find!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Clarion Hotel, Asheville NC (airport) - not so nice. The hotel was smelly (lobby, hallways and room smelled of disinfectant barely covering up something awful), crowded and noisy on a Friday night. Clock radio was busted - played music when set to alarm. Difficult to cross the street and there's only one way in and out. On the positive side, you can't get much closer to the airport and the welcome letter contained a chit for a free drink at the bar which we did not use. Very convenient to several restaurants in the plaza next door (Carrabba's & independent Thai & Mexican places). The Comfort across the street is a few bucks more and I would spend the extra and stay there next time. Room was okay, but a little worn. Had an early departure so didn't eat breakfast.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Quality Inn and Suites Mesa, AZ: B-

Room was fine though TV was old. This is an extended stay hotel at times so it had a large kitchen. Bed was comfortable enough and I always felt safe. Staff was good, lobby nice with a computer I used a few times. Breakfast options were decent and quality was tolerable. After the Quality Stories I've read here I was expecting far worse.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Clarion Hotel, Asheville NC (airport) - not so nice. The hotel was smelly (lobby, hallways and room smelled of disinfectant barely covering up something awful), crowded and noisy on a Friday night. Clock radio was busted - played music when set to alarm. Difficult to cross the street and there's only one way in and out. On the positive side, you can't get much closer to the airport and the welcome letter contained a chit for a free drink at the bar which we did not use. Very convenient to several restaurants in the plaza next door (Carrabba's & independent Thai & Mexican places). The Comfort across the street is a few bucks more and I would spend the extra and stay there next time. Room was okay, but a little worn. Had an early departure so didn't eat breakfast.
I'm glad you posted this review. I will be in North Carolina at the end of the year and I will be headed due west and have been looking at the Choice props in the area. This one came up. Thanks for reviewing.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Comfort Suites Mattoon, IL right next to I-57 at exit 190A Grade: B+
The A/C worked very well
They have a free hot breakfast with Waffels, Biscuts, Eggs and your normal Continental Breakfast stuff
Bathroom was clean minus seeing a wrapper on the toliet that's what brought it down a notch.
Bed was comforable.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:59 pm

Comfort Suites - Haverhill, MA. (Grade: B)

I've never stayed here as I generally come to the area from a different direction, and this hotel tends to more expensive than closer options, but for some odd reason the website showed one king sized suite for $65 (every other room was $80+), so I jumped on it. A quick check shows that rooms can be had here regularly for about that rate.

Hotel is fine, a little older than other CS's I've been in, but still perfectly acceptable. The internet isn't working, I mentioned it at the desk and they immediately took $10 off. But there's an auto dealer real close with an unsecured router, so here I am.

This will definitely become my main hotel when work takes me anywhere along the I-495 corridor north of Boston...
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:07 am

Comfort Suites - Biddeford, ME (Grade B+)

Large rooms, easy access to I-95. Not a whole lot around there, but US1 is nearby and there's a little more toward that end. There is a single, smaller room that can be had there for about half the normal price, that one is small and next to vending/ice/elevator. If you aren't a light sleeper, though, its fine.

The hotel is clean, looks like a nice pool, decent breakfast spread (though not all that different from other CS's). The General Dynamics rate is pretty good, is qualifying, and you can get it through the 800 number.

Econolodge - Elmira, NY (Grade B- or D-)

It all depends on the room. I got here real late, they had two rooms left. The door on the room I have has a broken door (won't close, was ajar when I got here), which, given that it's an exterior entry, makes me slightly nervous. But there was NOTHING else available between Binghamton and here, so...

This D- room I have is a smoking room that is only adequate for odor, the remote doesn't work, the buttons on the TV don't work, there is a slight odor in the bathroom. If I hadn't been here before and had a higher quality room I probably wouldn't come back, but the other rooms I've had here (in fact, I will be here tomorrow night in a different room) have been OK.

The rate here is too high for an Econolodge, but all the drill crews (Elmira sits on the Marcellus Shale formation) really jacked that up. It is an 8K property, though, so that works out to $10/1000 points - a good value.

Last edited by mclee19; Sep 17, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.