Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Reserve Room Cash - Rebook with Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I only have Choice points as I got the 40,000 point offer on the Visa. I want to book a room in Atlantic City on a weekend that I am sure will be sold-out prior to 50 days before the night which is when I could use the points. If I reserve at the $ rate now. Then call back 49 days before the checkin date and cancel the reservation - will I immediately be able to rebook the room using points? I know there would be at least one room available.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pwm112
I only have Choice points as I got the 40,000 point offer on the Visa. I want to book a room in Atlantic City on a weekend that I am sure will be sold-out prior to 50 days before the night which is when I could use the points. If I reserve at the $ rate now. Then call back 49 days before the checkin date and cancel the reservation - will I immediately be able to rebook the room using points? I know there would be at least one room available.
As reward room are limited, that's gambling to do that. Your room can come back to award availabilities or not (especially if a lot of plat or diamond booked award room before you).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has been rumored to be an effective technique with Choice, but I never tried it. I have heard anecdotal evidence that it sometimes works.

I have actually called Choice to see if I could do it, and the CSR told me it was OK. At the time, I was a Diamond, and it turned out I didn't need to do it, but a phone call will cost you nothing and you might get away with it. If it works, we'd sure all like to heard about it
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:14 am
Original Poster

If it works I will report back - if it doesn't I am not going as I am not adding the cash cost of the hotel to the concert ticket. Seems like its worth the shot. Thanks for input
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
As reward room are limited, that's gambling to do that. Your room can come back to award availabilities or not (especially if a lot of plat or diamond booked award room before you).
Are you sure that it is limited? I haven't seen that limitation, except obviously when 'standard' rooms are sold out online as well.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pwm112
... and you risk the possibility of someone else being able to snap up that room before you are able to get your point booking completed. I haven't heard of Choice agents having a waitlist, but the property might have someone waiting for a room or your room choice and you could loose out. Especially if there is a sold-out situation.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Are you sure that it is limited? I haven't seen that limitation, except obviously when 'standard' rooms are sold out online as well.
I see frequently no room available for points, but lots of room on best available rate...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I see frequently no room available for points, but lots of room on best available rate...
Could that be a function of your being a Choice elite customer (Diamond at that)?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Could that be a function of your being a Choice elite customer (Diamond at that)?
I don't think so. However, when you are Choice Elite Diamond, you can book award room 100 days before your stay. And generally when you book before other members can, the best rooms are still available.
But for last minutes stays I don't think you can have room if there is no award room anymore... Maybe if you call them...
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:23 am

Is it a standard room? Most hotels (including Hilton, IHG, SPG, etc.) only have certain room types as a standard room available for reward redemption. Depending on the specific hotel, that can be fairly limited or have rather wide availability. Let's say a hotel has the following room types:

-One Queen
-One King
-Two Doubles
-One King City View
-One King w/ sitting area
-One King Suite

Some hotels will only list the one queen rooms as available for reward bookings. Some may expand it to the two doubles and/or one king. Some will go so far as to offer everything except the suite, and there are others that offer every room type available.

It varies by hotel, so if a hotel only releases the one queen rooms for reward stays and that room type is sold out on a given night, you could see every other room type listed under Best Available Rate for a paid stay, but no reward nights available. If someone cancels a reservation for a one queen room, then reward nights will become available again.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I just tried this and it did not work - Made reservation in Tokyo, cancelled at 60 days out to rebook with points and the room has never come back into the inventory....had to rearrange my plans
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
Originally Posted by dls25
I just tried this and it did not work - Made reservation in Tokyo, cancelled at 60 days out to rebook with points and the room has never come back into the inventory....had to rearrange my plans
is it not possible to call customer service at the 60 day mark and ask to CHANGE THE RATE to CP Rewards from the best available rate, rather than cancelling the best available and rebook?

maybe it's not possible on the website but it is possible with the CSR? Just some idea. similar to changing flights without cancelling and reissuing tickets (for certain changes of course)...

ideas?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
That probably will not work. As I understand the problem - there are rooms available, just no award rooms available.

If there are no award rooms available, calling CSR will not make one become available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.