"Do Not Disturb" - California

Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
"Do Not Disturb" - California

I am currently at a CA Choice Property. I routinely reject daily cleaning service due to incidents with my personal items left in the room being, how shall we say, reorganized, by cleaning staff. Not that this is necessarily a guarantee they will not enter the room when I am not at the hotel...

I checked into this hotel and noted to the desk that I did not wish to have daily service. I was advised to put the Do Not Disburb sign on the room door.

I returned to the room after the first day and noted my room was cleaned despite the DND sign left on my door. I went to the front desk and was advised this would not be an issue going forward and they would make a note.

The hotel honored the DND sign for the second day of my stay.

I just now received a letter from the hotel stating that they will clean rooms every other day left under my door in a bill-like fashion.

I have never experienced this before in the dozens of hotel stays I've had over the years. Most properties gladly honor a DND sign...

I don't know if we have a cleaning staff that is overly aggressive for tips or what.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I am currently at a CA Choice Property. I routinely reject daily cleaning service due to incidents with my personal items left in the room being, how shall we say, reorganized, by cleaning staff. Not that this is necessarily a guarantee they will not enter the room when I am not at the hotel...

I checked into this hotel and noted to the desk that I did not wish to have daily service. I was advised to put the Do Not Disburb sign on the room door.

I returned to the room after the first day and noted my room was cleaned despite the DND sign left on my door. I went to the front desk and was advised this would not be an issue going forward and they would make a note.

The hotel honored the DND sign for the second day of my stay.

I just now received a letter from the hotel stating that they will clean rooms every other day left under my door in a bill-like fashion.

I have never experienced this before in the dozens of hotel stays I've had over the years. Most properties gladly honor a DND sign...

I don't know if we have a cleaning staff that is overly aggressive for tips or what.
Every other day is a little aggressive. I can understand they would want to clean every so often if you were there for weeks so they can 1) ensure it doesn't get dirty to the point bugs and mold don't start appearing and 2) you haven't destroyed the room, but every other day is too aggressive in my mind, once or twice a week should suffice.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by storewanderer

Strange...at some you get a discount for not having maid service.

You could always leave a low tip, either now or at the end of your stay, along with a note that you would have tipped more, but didn't because of them cleaning every other day. Also make sure you note that when you review/rate the hotel.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I always request no housekeeping for the duration of my stay -- for all the above reasons. In thousands of hotel stays, I've had most of the variations on the above theme, not just at Choice hotels. Seldom, but they are among the things that p.o. me the most. That said, I just would add to the above good comments that I sense that the letter, coming as a followup, is directly from the proprieter/GM, and that's whom you're dealing with. Housekeepers would go directly to her/him because they are easily fired, especially for p.o.ing a customer.

I guess what I'm also suggesting is that you negotiate with the GM/proprieter to get it to every five or four or three days.* Logic and money are on your side, after all. FWIW.

* (It's not uncommon for hotels to have a policy of four or five days. Imagine their worst fear. Not saying it couldn't happen in one or two days, but they just need to have a good story when answering to the authorities for the real reason for that awful smell.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.