FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Choice | Choice Privileges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges-640/)
-   -   If you value your family's safety and pets please read (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/choice-choice-privileges/1330188-if-you-value-your-familys-safety-pets-please-read.html)

nyminute Mar 29, 2012 7:01 am

If you value your family's safety and pets please read

:mad: Comfort Inn & Suites Choice Hotels Nanuet New York

Took my family and our friendly beagle dog to Comfort Inn & Suites Nanuet N.Y. location. Turned out to be a horror story shortly after. Wasn’t there for more than 4 hours when my dog was mauled by 2 American Terrier Pit bulls in the back returning from walking dog in the dark in the back . Thank God the area has a wonderful Hospital called Valley Cottage Hospital . Family dog required life-saving surgery and stitches to close some gruesome wounds caused by these 2 attack dogs. My helpless beagle almost killed, was saved by the doctor at this hospital. This Hotel is anything but pet friendly. Another room had a German Sheppard going nuts against the glass. Wonder which room had the lions tigers and bears. A nice pleasant getaway idea turned out to be a nightmare. The Manager yelled at me because I dared to ask for help. I was mortified and embarrassed by his treatment towards me being as well as being in shock at the time due to this incident. Manager was most unprofessional, screaming out in lobby it was my fault. Hotel is not a secure place to bring your loving pet or humans since Hotel apparently never trained management properly in dealing with crisis of this magnitude.

I would not recommend this place for anything more than directions to another Hotel in the area. They wont even pay the life saving medical treatment medical bills for my dog nor return the points I saved up. Keep in mind people do go there who don’t have pets. Their lives are in jeopardy when you don’t screen the animals you accept or limit type of breeds you allow.

If you look up American Terrier which I did when I came home you will see these animals are by design breaded to fight. What parent allows small children to pet an American Terrier or German Sheppard without fear of being mauled? If you have children be careful the back doors aren’t secure and can be opened by accident from the outside as well as not closed properly to begin with. The lighting at night is almost non existent. No room numbers to indicate which room it is. All factors when making a decision which hotel has the consumers best interest in mind.

To wrap up this disaster Hotel says its pet friendly and since they don’t care what kind of animals they take in I would agree . However that’s makes it no human friendly. Be on your guard at all times because you never know when a dog or multiple dogs will escape and try to maul your dog, an adult or unfortunately one of your precious children. To add insult to injury they wont accept financial responsibility for their negligence. Remember dogs are like people and sometimes react differently under fear .

There is an expression , caveat emptor means buyer beware. It most certainly applies to this Hotel.

Good Luck

lowfareair Mar 29, 2012 7:21 am

What part of this is their fault? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't their pitbulls sitting out back. What about the hotel guest whose pitbulls attacked your dog?

BTW: Bolding in large font does not help your case.

robertwcook16 Mar 29, 2012 8:22 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair (Post 18295129)
What part of this is their fault? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't their pitbulls sitting out back. What about the hotel guest whose pitbulls attacked your dog?

BTW: Bolding in large font does not help your case.

DITTO !!!
Take some responsibility for your pets when traveling. It is not the hotel's responsibility to take care of your bills...

redreeper Mar 29, 2012 8:31 am

Big font :td:

Was the beagle leashed? Who owned the pitties or were they strays? Did you confront the owner and file a police report regarding the attack if the dogs had owners? Were the pits leashed? Did this occur in an area designated specifically for dog walking on hotel property or was someone just "passing through"?

Stop with the "bred to fight" arguement - it will get you nowhere. I know plenty of pits and sheps who are incredibly well behaved and owned by responsible people. Some are service animals. Your beagle was attacked and you should focus on recovering your damages from the responsible party, if you are not at fault (ie; your beagle was off-leash and wandered into another dogs room) and also focus on recovery for your dog. Posting on FT and slamming the hotel will not get you anywhere - they allow pets, and it is their right to do so, with or without weight or breed limitations.

Details, please - and get well quick wishes for your poor beagle!

jcmitchell21 Mar 29, 2012 9:06 am

I equate this to taking your dogs to the park, them getting attacked, and blaming the park because the dogs they let in can be unfriendly.

They only people responsible are the dog owner(s).

lwildernorva Mar 29, 2012 12:03 pm

I also offer condolences and best wishes under these circumstances. I've always had some issue with hotels that advertise themselves as "pet friendly" mainly because there's no guarantee all of the pets brought in will be "friendly pets." Now, enclose them in unfamiliar hotel rooms and narrow hallways with little room to spare between passing groups of pet owners, and you've got a recipe for an increase in the stress pets may experience.

I must agree with the others. This experience could have occurred anywhere else. Unless the terriers were owned by the hotel, I cannot ascribe the injuries incurred to the hotel.

kipper Mar 29, 2012 12:24 pm

I hope your dog recovers nicely, and is good as new in no time.

That said, I also agree with all of the others on all accounts, from the large text/bolding to that it isn't the hotel's fault.

I know lots and lots of pitties and sheps that are giant babies and would never do anything to injure or kill anything, other than perhaps to try to kiss someone to death.

It's not the dog that's usually at fault, it's the dog owner who is at fault. The owners usually don't have the dogs on leashes, or treat them poorly, or try to toughen them up so they are aggressive, or any other number of things the owners do to cause dogs to attack.

It's not just pit bulls or sheps or other "bully" breeds, but any dog. I have a big baby of a husky mix and a big baby of a Doberman mix, but last night, almost lost fingers to a jug. The only danger anyone is in with the husky mix is that she might jump on you and nail you in the crotch, or might think you're a sled and pull you if you have her leash. For the Doberman, the only danger is that he might lick you to death, because he likes to groom everyone. That said, a friend's jug mix darn near took my fingers off yesterday when she attacked her toy a bit too enthusiastically. She's also called an ankle-biter for a reason, as she views ankles as fair game.

redreeper's post is spot on, in that you need to look at recovering your damages from the responsible party, which is the dog owner, not the hotel.

Just as a side note, unless the owner of the dogs confirmed that they are American Pit Bull Terriers, there's a good chance they aren't, as many dogs look similar to pit bulls, but aren't. Take a look at this site for a good photo demonstration of that.

redreeper Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Hah! Kipper, I have a groomer too. :D

The last paragraph states the dogs escaped?? I'm trying to think under what circumstance the hotel would be liable.... I guess if someone left their dogs in the room uncrated (yikes) and put the do-not-disturb up AND informed the front desk and they opened the door and let them out and they attacked the beagle? Maybe. I dunno, seems like a hit and run post and maybe we will not hear the circumstances and offer our vast FT pet-friendly knowledge to Nyminute. ^

No police report concerns me. Did the pits have proof of vaccination? I've only stayed in one hotel that required rabies vac proof on check-in (that was a Sheraton in CA). Can't say I thought it was a bad idea.

Pet friendly, to me, simply means there is a designated poopy spot and I'll be staying in a pre-soiled room :( I rarely travel with my dogs except for a response or a specific dog event, and even then I stay at a "host" hotel, one that requested to be advertised as a supporting establishment. Otherwise, pet-friendly doesn't means pet-safe, it just means my room will smell.

kipper Mar 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by redreeper (Post 18299450)
Hah! Kipper, I have a groomer too. :D

The last paragraph states the dogs escaped?? I'm trying to think under what circumstance the hotel would be liable.... I guess if someone left their dogs in the room uncrated (yikes) and put the do-not-disturb up AND informed the front desk and they opened the door and let them out and they attacked the beagle? Maybe. I dunno, seems like a hit and run post and maybe we will not hear the circumstances and offer our vast FT pet-friendly knowledge to Nyminute. ^

No police report concerns me. Did the pits have proof of vaccination? I've only stayed in one hotel that required rabies vac proof on check-in (that was a Sheraton in CA). Can't say I thought it was a bad idea.

Pet friendly, to me, simply means there is a designated poopy spot and I'll be staying in a pre-soiled room :( I rarely travel with my dogs except for a response or a specific dog event, and even then I stay at a "host" hotel, one that requested to be advertised as a supporting establishment. Otherwise, pet-friendly doesn't means pet-safe, it just means my room will smell.

:D My groomer seems to enjoy faces and feet.

I don't know if the last paragraph indicates that the pit bulls escaped, or if dogs could, due to doors not being secure.

I thought the same thing about a hit and run post, but perhaps they will return and let us know what happens. :)

I usually travel with vet records for the kibblers, figuring that you never know when you might need them.

I travel with the kibblers occasionally, and have never found a pet-friendly hotel to not be well-maintained.

Tizzette Mar 29, 2012 7:29 pm

Kipper, what breed is a jug?

kipper Mar 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette (Post 18299649)
Kipper, what breed is a jug?

Mix of a Jack Russell and a Pug. If you remember the dog in Men in Black, this one looked similar to it.

Or, think of looks of a pug, attitude and behavior of a Jack Russell.

toyotaboy95 Mar 30, 2012 10:28 pm

Doesn't seem like we're getting the full picture here. I also did a quick search on Google using the first sentence and found these posts by the OP:

http://www.my3cents.com/showReview.c...11881#comments
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...s-c597591.html
http://www.congoo.com/news/addstoryc...ategory_ID=147
http://freefrombroke.com/choice-priv...#comment-57174
http://comfort-inn.pissedconsumer.co...329308466.html
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...comment-150069

On the ComplaintsBoard post, there was a comment supposedly from the GM:

My name is Lorrie, the General Manager of this Hotel and had been at the hotel at the time of the incident. I am not sure who you may be referring to (male mgr.). As we had spoken on the phone and in writing, I felt terrible for what had happened to your poor dog, being an animal lover myself. When the attack on your dog occurred, I was the person who called the police immediately. Then as you came to the desk with your dog, and asked for an ambulance to come for him, I called the Veteranarian Hospital and told them the problem. They asked for the dog to be brought in. I then gave you a blanket for the dog, as we both were concerned, that he was breathing abnormally. You thought maybe he was going into shock. I then had one of my desk clerks take our hotel shuttle and bring you and the dog to the Vet's for care. When you needed to come back, we then came and picked you up to be brought back to the Hotel. As for stating that I said it was your fault, and yelling in the lobby, sorry, I did no such thing. My concern was for your dog. I even asked the police if you could leave as they were taking down information, due to my concern for the dog.

As for screening animals; when the two terrier pit bulls checked in, I went into the lobby to see them. I asked if they were friendly and they said yes. I then pet the dogs. They signed a paper regarding the rules of the hotel with pets.

When your dog was attacked, it was when you by accident, walked into the wrong guest room where the 2 terriers were. They were inside in their own room, so the control of that situation was not in my hands at that moment.

Side point. When I was called by a guest earlier that evening, stating that your dog wouldn't stop barking in the room, I was the person who found you in our breakfast room. You were very apologetic, and I said for you both to enjoy your meal you were eating, and bring the dog into the breakfast room to stay with you, as he would be more comfortable and of course stop barking. You both then thanked me. I wish as well as you that this terrible event had never occurred. I am a person who will always try to help defenseless animals whenever possible as would yourself, and will always continue to do so when in my power to.

I will also be returning your "Choice Points" you used for your room. We had not had a conversation regarding this to be refunded, but considerring the bills you received, I feel it would be appropriate.

kipper Mar 31, 2012 6:34 am

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95 (Post 18306903)

I figured we probably weren't going to get the full story. Good job on the
detective work. The post from the GM does make it sound like it is the OP's fault, at least to some extent. If he walked into the wrong room, and the pit bulls were there, I can understand the owner not being prepared for them to encounter another dog, and also for the dogs to be defensive about their territory.

redreeper Mar 31, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by toyotaboy95 (Post 18306903)

Most impressive! Thanks for finding the info and filling in the blanks ^^

Wow - sounds like the hotel went above and beyond....and even further.

I had a....feeling... it was a "territory" issue. I can honestly say the times I've felt the safety of my dogs was at greatest risk was when I was passing through what another dog perceived as his territory.

The OP's obsessive need to trash this hotel, despite their incredibly compassionate response to the situation (which I will assume is accurate simply because it makes sense - unlike the OP's version) is disturbing.

I sent a message to the GM inviting them to post on FT as well regarding the incident.

Tizzette Apr 1, 2012 4:46 am

Originally Posted by kipper (Post 18305142)
Mix of a Jack Russell and a Pug. If you remember the dog in Men in Black, this one looked similar to it.

Or, think of looks of a pug, attitude and behavior of a Jack Russell.

Oh boy.