Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The game's afoot, Watson!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: AC
Rome for 8000 pts a few block from Trevi Fountain on quiet street (Bolivar).
Works really, really well.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AC_Good_Will
"Works really, really well." is a bit of understatement, non?.

At one time, a couple of years ago, I was working a Choice promo and I calculated the points were costing me about 0.1 cents apiece. So, for me, 8000 points represents about $8.00.

If someone had told me that I could be staying in Rome (or Paris, or London, etc.) for $8.00/night (including breakfast!) I'd have thought they were a fugitive from a time machine.

Having actually done just that, and more than once, I'm inclined to be a little more enthusiastic.

YMMV.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BigLar
"Works really, really well." is a bit of understatement, non?.

At one time, a couple of years ago, I was working a Choice promo and I calculated the points were costing me about 0.1 cents apiece. So, for me, 8000 points represents about $8.00.

If someone had told me that I could be staying in Rome (or Paris, or London, etc.) for $8.00/night (including breakfast!) I'd have thought they were a fugitive from a time machine.

Having actually done just that, and more than once, I'm inclined to be a little more enthusiastic.

YMMV.
Agreed. But I must admit, my European experiences are spoiling me--perhaps I could see myself spending 20-25K for an American property--but I wouldn't be enthusiastic about that!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by AC_Good_Will
It's 10 000 points now. Any chances it will change back to 8000? (I'm new to Choice )
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by slowly
It's 10 000 points now. Any chances it will change back to 8000? (I'm new to Choice )
No one can say for sure, but they've been coming around twice a year for the last couple of years. With no announcement except from our Ace Scout here. And then there can be attrition, one by one. So, one has to keep one's ear to the rail -- both here and on one's properties of interest.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slowly
There is:

1. An execllent chance it will revert to 8000 pts/night
2. An execllent chance it will rise to 25,000 points/night
3. Almost no chance it will stay where it is forever
4. A very low probability that someone here will be able to fortell the future

Welcome to Choice!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:02 pm

Does anyone have any idea when the April 15 and beyond points requirements will be posted for Paris hotels? Just wondering if there is a historical pattern to this so I'll know when to check back.

Thanks!
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Does anyone have any idea when the April 15 and beyond points requirements will be posted for Paris hotels? Just wondering if there is a historical pattern to this so I'll know when to check back.

Thanks!
a. See the post above yours, but

b. I would expect summer rates to be up in the 20-25,000 point range, because that's the busy season for Paris.

Over the last couple of years, it seems that point rates go down, sometime around Sept. 30. Other have speculated that it might be tied to their (sort of regular) promos about that time where they offer a "free night" after x stays. The free night is actually 8000 points (or thereabouts), so that in order to make the promo seem real, they lower the point rate semi-worldwide.

There is also speculation that it's a reasonable assumption that a large portion of the Choice clientele are not big international travellers - thus, a low point rate in Europe has little actual meaning for most of their customers, but does cause lots of starry-eyed daydreaming. A win-win for Choice - they make it attractive and don't have to pay off very much.

Over here, however, we know how to take advantage of this deal (and countless of us have), so we're all looking forward to it, too.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Seemed a good time to look at the mid-April to end of June redemptions. Ireland apparently remains on sale at 8K points--two properties in Limerick, the three in Dublin, and one in Sligo. Some of our favorite Roman properties remain at 10K: the Nova Domus and the Bolivar. The Clarion Collection Hotel Principessa Isabella, where I'll stay next month, is also at 10K. Most of the London properties are at 25K while the Paris hotels are at 20-25K.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Seemed a good time to look at the mid-April to end of June redemptions. Ireland apparently remains on sale at 8K points--two properties in Limerick, the three in Dublin, and one in Sligo. Some of our favorite Roman properties remain at 10K: the Nova Domus and the Bolivar. The Clarion Collection Hotel Principessa Isabella, where I'll stay next month, is also at 10K. Most of the London properties are at 25K while the Paris hotels are at 20-25K.
I don't think the spring "sale" has arrived yet.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:46 am

Soon?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Well, it looks like the summer 8,000 point sale has started. I am seeing 8,000 points in Paris, London, some hotels in Rome and in Dublin. I was looking at random dates in July, but hotel detail pages state that it is April 16 - June 30. Too bad they do not have any hotels in Spain or Brussels. If the 8,000 point rooms are still around at the booking window, I am somewhat tempted to cancel the Radissons in Paris and move to the Clarion.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathinJax
Well, it looks like the summer 8,000 point sale has started. I am seeing 8,000 points in Paris, London, some hotels in Rome and in Dublin. I was looking at random dates in July, but hotel detail pages state that it is April 16 - June 30. Too bad they do not have any hotels in Spain or Brussels. If the 8,000 point rooms are still around at the booking window, I am somewhat tempted to cancel the Radissons in Paris and move to the Clarion.
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping to use some in Europe in June, so I'm getting close to the Platinum booking window. Some of those Carlson properties are good, though, so if you're staying 2 nights have the Carlson card, it might not necessarily make sense to "slum it" at a Choice hotel.

I'm headed to Australia later this (northern) summer, and I'm really hoping to see an 8000 point deal there. Australia hotels tend to be crazy expensive and almost all of them are 20 or 25K in the Choice program (not really bad given the published rates, but I'd obviously love a bargain redemption). So far, though, I don't see reduced Australia redemption rates.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KathinJax
Thanks for posting !

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the update. I'm hoping to use some in Europe in June, so I'm getting close to the Platinum booking window. Some of those Carlson properties are good, though, so if you're staying 2 nights have the Carlson card, it might not necessarily make sense to "slum it" at a Choice hotel.

I'm headed to Australia later this (northern) summer, and I'm really hoping to see an 8000 point deal there. Australia hotels tend to be crazy expensive and almost all of them are 20 or 25K in the Choice program (not really bad given the published rates, but I'd obviously love a bargain redemption). So far, though, I don't see reduced Australia redemption rates.
Australia / NZ didn't participate to the 8k promo last fall...
Sometimes their rate are more crazy, like 40k points !
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Australia / NZ didn't participate to the 8k promo last fall...
Sometimes their rate are more crazy, like 40k points !
IIRC, it was more like 70K per night.

At that rate, I've speculated that no one ever redeems there.

Edit: PS - thanks for the heads up on London/Paris. I was looking there earlier this week, and the desirable props were still ~ 20-25K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.