Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Reservation rate change Distrikt Hotel New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reservation rate change Distrikt Hotel New York

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Thumbs down Reservation rate change Distrikt Hotel New York

I had made a reservation and received an email confirmation way back 16 July of this year for a stay at this highly rated Midtown hotel for 6 nights in January and as it'd been a few months wanted to check my requests today but when accessing the reservation online was shocked to find the estimated grand total with taxes had jumped by almost $300.00. One of the reasons I wanted to stay here despite the Midtown location was the good rate and excellent reviews I'd read online but seeing my rate suddenly jump by roughly $50/night made it far less of a value.

I called reservation and they insisted there had been no changes on the file since original reservation date and couldn't explain why my printed reservation in hand was no longer reflecting what was booked.

Needless to say I was a mite miffed and cancelled my reservation and will happily stay elsewhere such as the Andaz Wall Street. Has anyone else had this kind of issue with Choice or at this location? It might sound like sour grapes but I rarely if ever stay with a Choice brand and only made an exception for this Ascend Collection location but won't be in a huge hurry to give the chain another chance given how poorly this encounter went.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

The icing on this reservation snafu is after cancelling this reservation way back when I posted this thread I have been billed for the first night no show as apparently when I talked to reservations by phone and asked them to explain the rate jump and they couldn't or wouldn't they didn't follow through as I asked and didn't cancel the reservation.

Normally I'm a decent if not meticulous hardcopy hotel reservation record keeper but it had to be this one time I don't have an email record of the cancellation thanks to some computer issues between time of reservation & cancellation and today so is there much luck me pleading my case with Choice Privilges customer service?

I have no elite status to leverage and sadly no supporting documentation to fall back on but this has been one large frustration from beginning to end and wouldn like to think they could correct what has been a string of errors that has really only multiplied my initial frustration.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'm surprised that they didn't fix the rate for you when you called last year. Strange customer service.

In this case, I'd dispute the CC transaction, even without a cancellation receipt.

Mike
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm surprised that they didn't fix the rate for you when you called last year. Strange customer service.

In this case, I'd dispute the CC transaction, even without a cancellation receipt.
I'm holding that as plan B as I've talked to Choice Cust. Svc. and they are listening to their recorded calls of the interaction I had with the rep. in late Oct. who, it seems, was mistaken that the rate changed then compounded their error by creating a new reservation at the applicable rate that day and despite my asking never followed through and cancelled the original reservation which was in reality still valid though not AFAIK.

I should've checked original reservation was cancelled and kick myself for not doing that but took the rep. at their word. I trust the Cust. Svc. supervisor that's looking into the snafu will set things right within the next few days. Ironically the Distrikt sent me a post-stay customer email asking me how my stay was.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I like happy endings.

When I asked for a status update to the matter I was advised a reservations supervisor had checked the recording and it backed up that the reservations agent I spoke to erred and so they have agreed to refund the charge applied erroneously to my CC.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I find it impressive that someone went to the trouble of listening to the recordings, when they could easily have just ignored the issue.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
I find it impressive that someone went to the trouble of listening to the recordings, when they could easily have just ignored the issue.
As did I though the skeptic in me had withheld more praise until I received either the refund cheque itself or written confirmation of a forthcoming refund cheque and it was the latter that hit my mailbox today. Patience for another few weeks until the cheque arrives but yes, as I said I'm happy and have softened my stance on the brand.

FWIW it seems the hotel itself was more or less an innocent bystander as it wasn't their agents who derailed my reservation and am moving the Distrikt to near the top of my list of hotels to try on my next visit to NYC.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Cheque received today and Choice has won me back as potential customer. ^

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 17, 2013 at 8:29 pm
Old Mar 7, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Your rate was still changed by $300. I would have never cancelled in the first place.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Your rate was still changed by $300. I would have never cancelled in the first place.
Never cancelled and just paid the higher rate, you're saying? Sorry but am not following what you're meaning.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tcook052
Never cancelled and just paid the higher rate, you're saying? Sorry but am not following what you're meaning.
Never cancelled and then disputed the card charges as a result of being subjected to a rate to which you never agreed. A rate dispute as grounds to invalidate charges, particularly when they charge you an amount to which you never agreed initially. Better than being hit with a no-show expense at the initial, lower rate is no expense for no-showing? I think that is what is meant.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Never cancelled and then disputed the card charges as a result of being subjected to a rate to which you never agreed. A rate dispute as grounds to invalidate charges, particularly when they charge you an amount to which you never agreed initially. Better than being hit with a no-show expense at the initial, lower rate is no expense for no-showing? I think that is what is meant.
Who knows exactly what would've happened as according to the hotel the lower rate on the original reservation was always valid and never changed and it was only the agent error at the Choice toll-free reservations level that lead me to believe otherwise when a second reservation at the higher rate was made.

It was an unsual set of circumstances and hindsight is always 20-20 but am happy Choice has stepped up and made right what had gone wrong.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tcook052
It was Choice' error in the first place. You had a printed confirmation. Bait and switch is against the law in most places.

Unless it was a $30 rate at a normally $300 a night place, just bring your printed booking confirmation. If no success at checkin, then dispute the charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.