Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: PC Plat, HHonors Silver
@nacho - Wow. Sounds like all you need to do now is to find a way to have the corporate folks pay you for submitting to them the details of the worst rooms in each of the hotels you stay in. Or corporate compliance needs to use BRGs to book rooms to see the problems.

I know that Best Western requires the hotel owner to bear the cost of the BRG. And they may get fined on top of that. I expect other programs are similar.

I believe that the BRGs are corporate's way of punishing owners for trying to avoid the fees of bookings through corporate's website. And they set them up to reward the customers who do their compliance checks for them.

Since the owners/operators who then give the worst room in the house make the whole brand look bad, corporate should be interested in how bad those rooms are and violations of brand standards. Contact them about your stays. Better yet, call/tweet corporate when you first see the bad room and the hotel won't fix it. See if you get a nice upgrade.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CreditMadeEZ
@nacho - Wow. Sounds like all you need to do now is to find a way to have the corporate folks pay you for submitting to them the details of the worst rooms in each of the hotels you stay in. Or corporate compliance needs to use BRGs to book rooms to see the problems.
Some hotels do pay for mystery shops to see if there are issues with the hotel.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

I know that Best Western requires the hotel owner to bear the cost of the BRG. And they may get fined on top of that. I expect other programs are similar.

I believe that the BRGs are corporate's way of punishing owners for trying to avoid the fees of bookings through corporate's website. And they set them up to reward the customers who do their compliance checks for them.

Since the owners/operators who then give the worst room in the house make the whole brand look bad, corporate should be interested in how bad those rooms are and violations of brand standards. Contact them about your stays. Better yet, call/tweet corporate when you first see the bad room and the hotel won't fix it. See if you get a nice upgrade.
Not sure if Corporate cares - especially if you are talking about IHG or Choice - these brands and some others have very inconsistent standard. That's the reason why I'm with Marriott, unless it's free/dirt cheap from other chains.

I did take some very nice picture for the bad room at the IC and I sent it to the hotel management plus IHG and I got my compensation.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that's the problem with BRG offering a free night or such. It probably means the hotel gets so little, they get peeved.

That why I like the Marriot LNF (what they called their BRG) solution a lot better: They match the third-party site rate and then give an extra 25% off of that. Thus the hotel still collects money, and still collects 75% of what they would have gotten from the third-party site (though they now have to give Marriott central whatever they give for marriott.com bookings, for the points/miles, in case that's more than they would have to give the third-party site).

The hotel can then decide whether a small number of customers getting these super-low rates is worth it to them, if the third-party site is somewhat obscure and not diluting their main business.

I've had both expereinces with Marriott. Some hotels, as soon as I did an LNF or two at them, pulled those rates from that third-party site. But one hotel, amazingly, continues to keep those rates there, week after week, month after month, despite me using them one or two nights a week almost every week for the past few months! And they are very nice to me when I check in. So apparently they've done the math, and find that giving the odd loyal customer a 60% off points/miles-earning rate (yes, I'm getting $55 LNF rates at a hotel where rooms tend to go for $130 and up!) is worth it, as long it stays a tiny tiny fraction of the rooms they sell.

And, btw, the hotel that continues to let me get these 60%ish off rates week after week through LNF is way more expensive (on normal rates) than the other hotels which pulled their third-party rates soon after I used LNFs with them.

But I doubt this hotel would be very happy if I were getting $0 rates with them twice a week every week! So structuring a BRG so that it gives totally free nights left and right, forced on hotels, might be overdoing it to the detriment of the program overall?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:17 am

looks like with so many claim come in, this BRG will die soon like Wyndham
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88
looks like with so many claim come in, this BRG will die soon like Wyndham
I think there is a better solution - free night on 2 nights or longer, 50% off one night stays. That would still be one of the best BRGs in the industry, and would knock out all the freeloaders in one go.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalEagle
One of my relatives has been quite successful in booking about five Choice BRGs. However, she is also fortunate enough to be able to see the messages that Choice in Arizona has been able to send to the hotels. One of them reads: "Scam artist fyi!!!!" Another one is non-perjorative: "comp because of fax from best e-rate guarantee. Phone 866-633-4100. Change to a comp rate. Changed to a comp rate. Any questions please call 866-633-4100. Leah at choice hotels international."

If when checking in to the hotel that got the "Scan artist fyi" message, the worst room in the house is assigned, I guess we will know the reason why!
Have you thought about forwarding the e-mail to Choice's CEO? They ought to care since they were on Undercover Boss
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But that's the problem with BRG offering a free night or such. It probably means the hotel gets so little, they get peeved.

That why I like the Marriot LNF (what they called their BRG) solution a lot better: They match the third-party site rate and then give an extra 25% off of that. Thus the hotel still collects money, and still collects 75% of what they would have gotten from the third-party site (though they now have to give Marriott central whatever they give for marriott.com bookings, for the points/miles, in case that's more than they would have to give the third-party site).

The hotel can then decide whether a small number of customers getting these super-low rates is worth it to them, if the third-party site is somewhat obscure and not diluting their main business.

I've had both expereinces with Marriott. Some hotels, as soon as I did an LNF or two at them, pulled those rates from that third-party site. But one hotel, amazingly, continues to keep those rates there, week after week, month after month, despite me using them one or two nights a week almost every week for the past few months! And they are very nice to me when I check in. So apparently they've done the math, and find that giving the odd loyal customer a 60% off points/miles-earning rate (yes, I'm getting $55 LNF rates at a hotel where rooms tend to go for $130 and up!) is worth it, as long it stays a tiny tiny fraction of the rooms they sell.

And, btw, the hotel that continues to let me get these 60%ish off rates week after week through LNF is way more expensive (on normal rates) than the other hotels which pulled their third-party rates soon after I used LNFs with them.

But I doubt this hotel would be very happy if I were getting $0 rates with them twice a week every week! So structuring a BRG so that it gives totally free nights left and right, forced on hotels, might be overdoing it to the detriment of the program overall?
Good points. Sounds like Marriott is good at striking a balance where those who are cost sensitive(and paying their own way) will put in the effort to discover these without pissing off the hotel owners.

Maybe your long term hotel figures they are getting loyalty out of you by letting you have the cheap rates while those on the company dime probably don't look for a better rate (and are probably booking through a company travel agency so they wouldn't qualify anyway).

I know that I might not put too much effort into learning the best ways to save 25%(which is how most folks probably look at the LNF even though you are saving 60%), but I'd be more motivated if I saved 100% (and maybe got $100 in addition like Best Western's).

Though from what folks have said, there is a cost to customer service from the harsher punishments for owners to increase incentives for booking through the brand's website.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though from what folks have said, there is a cost to customer service from the harsher punishments for owners to increase incentives for booking through the brand's website.
Is it really to the owners? Mr. Nacho said that the GMs are the real target here - if their bonus is based on performance, then giving out free room will directly hit their performance and eventually bonus because the lost of revenue due to BRG. Then the GM will be at people who stay free on BRG - such as the Nachos, by giving us a hard time such as giving us a bad room, or trying to charge us etc.

To be honest, now I don't even bother BRGing for Choice because of their inconsistency and the potential problems prior/during the stay.

Hilton's BRG is not bad either, match the lower price + 50 Amex GC, which makes it very attractive to use.

Marriott's BRG is better, but I won't just stay there because of that. They are consistent in quality and I know what to expect and if not I know they will take it very seriously. I don't like IHG and Choice as much because the quality is simply so varied from very good to a dump.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Is it really to the owners? Mr. Nacho said that the GMs are the real target here - if their bonus is based on performance, then giving out free room will directly hit their performance and eventually bonus because the lost of revenue due to BRG. Then the GM will be at people who stay free on BRG - such as the Nachos, by giving us a hard time such as giving us a bad room, or trying to charge us etc.
Yes and no.

Mr Nacho is correct that the final target is the GM or the employee that is putting up lower rates on sites other than Choice Hotels. The way that they do that is punish the owners who punishes the GM who punishes the employee.

And those who punish the customer who uses the BRG are just asking for the customer to complain to Choice Hotels who should then punish again. Getting them to follow( or change) the rules helps all of us.

I may not always agree with the rules, but I like to know them so I can use them in my favor.

If you have too many issues with unhappy hotels, then I can see why you wouldn't think it is worth it. Some folks have had luck asking the hotel directly to honor a BRG. That might not cause as much ill will because then the corporate Choice Hotels wouldn't be involved and wouldn't heap additional punishment on the owners. Alternatively, they might pull the lower rate and you wouldn't get the BRG.

I've also had folks that treated reward nights as "free" and so they seem to feel they can give you a bad room also. Use the 2x4 to get their attention and then let them know that those nights were earned and thus paid for. Complain as appropriate and time/energy allow. Don't let the bad folks get you down.

Originally Posted by nacho
To be honest, now I don't even bother BRGing for Choice because of their inconsistency and the potential problems prior/during the stay.

Hilton's BRG is not bad either, match the lower price + 50 Amex GC, which makes it very attractive to use.

Marriott's BRG is better, but I won't just stay there because of that. They are consistent in quality and I know what to expect and if not I know they will take it very seriously. I don't like IHG and Choice as much because the quality is simply so varied from very good to a dump.
Yes, there is quite a variety.

I've experienced inconsistency among all the chains. I think what happens is that the lower value chains are close enough to my minimum levels of acceptable that if they vary too much to the downside, they are unacceptable. Though I've also found some that are quite nice.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:21 am

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
BRG Disincentive

Sadly the free room BRG is probably a greater disincentive than incentive. If the purpose of the promotion is to build loyalty to Choice hotel website it effectively does the opposite.
For example last week I stayed a few days at a Clarion hotel one day was free on a BRG and they matched the rate for the rest of my stay. I needed a room in Toledo Ohio but the rate on the Choice website was $15.00 per night higher than on booking.com (I am Pretty sure) When I call choice to see if they will match the price the agent gets hung up on the fact I have gotten a free room and am not eligible for anything more. Trying to explain that I do not want a free day but can they match the rate is a frustrating experience and an email got no better response. Just the 'you had your free room so you get nothing more'. I have no incentive to book on choice website if it is not the lowest price.
I would think a better BRG would be something along the lines of "If you find a better rate we will match the rate and credit your Choice privileges account 6000 points (enough for a free night) after your stay. This would build brand loyalty and reward the frequent customers the most.

But no one has to worry my multiple attempts at trying to talk to someone at Choice about the shortcomings of their BRG falls on deaf ears. The people seem to get hung up on the free night and how dare I want more than the one free night which I do not but I will not pay MORE for the privilege of using the choice website.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by darben
Sadly the free room BRG is probably a greater disincentive than incentive. If the purpose of the promotion is to build loyalty to Choice hotel website it effectively does the opposite.
For example last week I stayed a few days at a Clarion hotel one day was free on a BRG and they matched the rate for the rest of my stay. I needed a room in Toledo Ohio but the rate on the Choice website was $15.00 per night higher than on booking.com (I am Pretty sure) When I call choice to see if they will match the price the agent gets hung up on the fact I have gotten a free room and am not eligible for anything more. Trying to explain that I do not want a free day but can they match the rate is a frustrating experience and an email got no better response. Just the 'you had your free room so you get nothing more'. I have no incentive to book on choice website if it is not the lowest price.
I would think a better BRG would be something along the lines of "If you find a better rate we will match the rate and credit your Choice privileges account 6000 points (enough for a free night) after your stay. This would build brand loyalty and reward the frequent customers the most.

But no one has to worry my multiple attempts at trying to talk to someone at Choice about the shortcomings of their BRG falls on deaf ears. The people seem to get hung up on the free night and how dare I want more than the one free night which I do not but I will not pay MORE for the privilege of using the choice website.
In that instance, it is almost always better to call the hotel. I've found that they will almost always match or beat any non-opaque rate available on a third party website, plus you can usually still earn points on the rate.

Another fun fact - hotels are less often inclined to do so, but will still generally match the brand's direct competitor's rates (i.e. Comfort Inn matching La Quinta down the street) if you call the hotel directly. Good to know if you are trying to earn points/stays in a specific brand.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:44 pm

Just finished my first BRG, I was amazed: best available rate: $95, Advance purchase rate: $80.75, third party website rate: $86.75, Choice still allow me to do BRG ^ from a business propective I don't think they should do so

Apple to apple, their repsonse is really quick, ^
Old May 10, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just did my first Choice BRG claim successfully. After becoming an expert at the IHG BRG system through alot of hard work (), I must say the Choice BRG is a breeze in comparison. They are not nearly as nit-picky with the details.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by denCSA
Just did my first Choice BRG claim successfully. After becoming an expert at the IHG BRG system through alot of hard work (), I must say the Choice BRG is a breeze in comparison. They are not nearly as nit-picky with the details.
Why do you post and offer to be contacted for information and do not even bother to reply? Have some decency and don't offer something that you don't intend to disclose. It has been 2 months! since I asked you the name of the website used for comparison for IHG via PM and via thread. Still "waiting" for your expert reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.