Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by redreeper
...because after I find one, instead of honoring the BRG, they lower the price to match and tell me thats what I get. And since I have no way to verify if they did so before or after my claim...

Shady. And done so too many times to be coincidental.
What do you mean? If they have free night policy, then refer it to the T&C.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by nacho
What do you mean? If they have free night policy, then refer it to the T&C.
Already did that. They claim that in the time between I filed my claim, and their response (about 1.5 hours) they lowered the price and now it matches. This was early morning on Labor Day. So it's invalid for the free night because now the prices are magically the same.

There was an approx $6 difference on a $90 room.

So which came first; my brg claim's arrival or the price drop. @:-)

Shady - and again, not the first time. My BRGs are tight, I know the rules and I expect any variation to be cause for rejection. There was none, so they do this? Totally disreputable.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by elva
Did they recently change T&C? I got denied because cancellation policy was actually better on the competing site. Never heard of that before!
Me too.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already did that. They claim that in the time between I filed my claim, and their response (about 1.5 hours) they lowered the price and now it matches. This was early morning on Labor Day. So it's invalid for the free night because now the prices are magically the same.

There was an approx $6 difference on a $90 room.

So which came first; my brg claim's arrival or the price drop. @:-)

Shady - and again, not the first time. My BRGs are tight, I know the rules and I expect any variation to be cause for rejection. There was none, so they do this? Totally disreputable.
This is unprofessional

It happened to me for IHG too - but if there are more than 1 site that offer the cheaper rate then you could told them the first one, and make sure you have taken screenshots to prove. I do understand they can't just believe you (not that I don't believe if you know what i mean ), so you could send them the screenshots and if they are still that shady write on their FB page and broadcast their shady behaviour!
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:54 am

This is unprofessional

It happened to me for IHG too - but if there are more than 1 site that offer the cheaper rate then you could told them the first one, and make sure you have taken screenshots to prove. I do understand they can't just believe you (not that I don't believe if you know what i mean ), so you could send them the screenshots and if they are still that shady write on their FB page and broadcast their shady behaviour!

They have not given the customer any way to prove that the prices were not the same at the time the agent receives the claim. I can prove that they were different at the time of booking, easy enough. And their email states the rates have "changed" since I made my claim - how would they know that unless they saw the difference on the original claim in the first place? They wouldn't. So anyway...my claim arrives; they can change their price to match, and I have no way to prove whether they did it before or after they got my claim, except by their own admission that the rates "changed".. but that would be beating a dead horse it seems.

In this particular case, they either lose the full night value to the BRG, or they lower the price by 6 dollars and claim a match instead...hmmm.

But....@:-).... you gave me an idea. The next BRG I do, I am going to (try to) post at the time of my booking and BRG claim the details/dates/competitor site on their Facebook page as well as here, and then the results. Taking shady out into the light. We'll see how that goes, if anyone else wants to join in please feel free.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have not given the customer any way to prove that the prices were not the same at the time the agent receives the claim. I can prove that they were different at the time of booking, easy enough. And their email states the rates have "changed" since I made my claim - how would they know that unless they saw the difference on the original claim in the first place? They wouldn't. So anyway...my claim arrives; they can change their price to match, and I have no way to prove whether they did it before or after they got my claim, except by their own admission that the rates "changed".. but that would be beating a dead horse it seems.

In this particular case, they either lose the full night value to the BRG, or they lower the price by 6 dollars and claim a match instead...hmmm.

But....@:-).... you gave me an idea. The next BRG I do, I am going to (try to) post at the time of my booking and BRG claim the details/dates/competitor site on their Facebook page as well as here, and then the results. Taking shady out into the light. We'll see how that goes, if anyone else wants to join in please feel free.
+ threaten them if they don't comply you'd go to BBB
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:19 am

+ threaten them if they don't comply you'd go to BBB
Not much I can do there - like I said, they have given themselves quite a margin with "time I booked" vs: "time claim received". Their T&C's do state its price at the time claim is received, not booked. I understand prices change, but why always at the particular hotel I'm booking an hour or two after I file a BRG?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not much I can do there - like I said, they have given themselves quite a margin with "time I booked" vs: "time claim received". Their T&C's do state its price at the time claim is received, not booked. I understand prices change, but why always at the particular hotel I'm booking an hour or two after I file a BRG?
If you from now on keep all the screenshots, and if you have a pile of denied claims, BBB might look into it.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by elva
Did they recently change T&C? I got denied because cancellation policy was actually better on the competing site. Never heard of that before!
Just had the same thing happen to me.

First, they denied one that was one day more restrictive. Now, they denied another on the same grounds (Different Cancellation Policy) when it was one day less restrictive.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Perhaps one should call customer service instead of submitting an on-line claim form. I have not tried it yet but worth a shot. Here is the contact info from the website: "For questions call our toll-free Choice customer service at 866-633-4100."
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by poptarts
Perhaps one should call customer service instead of submitting an on-line claim form. I have not tried it yet but worth a shot. Here is the contact info from the website: "For questions call our toll-free Choice customer service at 866-633-4100."
I tried it with IHG - they tell you to hold and then change the rate while you hold

Not sure it'll help.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:28 pm

Lightbulb Here's One - lets see how it gets shot down

9/29 - Ft. Lauderdale Quality Inn

159.00 hot tub room on Choice site vs. 128.00 on Hotels.com.

Cancellation Hotels.com: Free cancellation until 09/28/12

•If you change or cancel your reservation after 4:00 PM, 09/28/12 ((GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)) you will be charged for 1 night (including tax)

Cancellation Choice: If you need to change or cancel this reservation, you may do so up until Friday, September 28, 2012, before 4pm local hotel time
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:20 am

•If you change or cancel your reservation after 4:00 PM, 09/28/12 ((GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)) you will be charged for 1 night (including tax)

Cancellation Choice: If you need to change or cancel this reservation, you may do so up until Friday, September 28, 2012, before 4pm local hotel time
Figured I would post the rare and elusive approval letter:

Thank you for participating in our Best Internet Rate Guarantee program.

This program has been designed to allow you, our valued guest, to receive the best possible online rates at over 5,000 Choice Hotels International properties worldwide. We have located the published rate that was submitted on your claim form and are pleased to let you know that your reservation confirmation number () at the Quality Inn & Suites Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, FL for arrival on September 29, 2012 for 1 night, has been changed to reflect a free night for your stay.

Please print a copy of this confirmation letter and bring it with you to the hotel.

Any changes made to the reservation may void this rate.

If you have additional questions, please see our Terms and Conditions page.

We thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and look forward to doing so in the future.

Tiffany

Best Internet Rate Guarantee

Ironically, I meant to book FT Myers...
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you take screenshots?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:19 am

Did you take screenshots?
nope. I went with open forum shaming instead

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.