Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: SkyTeam Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
BRG

Booked a hotel with Choice Hotel earlier today for $199 a night. The same room, same conditions, was available at $179 at Hotels.com and Expedia.

After reading all the comments above, I decided to ALSO book it via Expedia, considering both reservations are cancellable. Now, just after 8am east-coast time (aka after people started working), all of a sudden the room is 'sold out' on this date on Expedia and Hotels.com, and the other nights have been adjusted to $199. Even though, after both my bookings, there was plenty of availability (otherwise expedia shows only x amount of rooms left). Other websites (Orbitz, Choice etc) still have plenty of availability on the same date. Guess they are trying to get out of it again.

Considering the fact that I not only have screenshots of the price at both Hotels.com and Expedia shortly after my booking, but also an actual reservation at the lower price, I'm curious to see if and how they will try to get out of this one
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by BobKop
Booked a hotel with Choice Hotel earlier today for $199 a night. The same room, same conditions, was available at $179 at Hotels.com and Expedia.

After reading all the comments above, I decided to ALSO book it via Expedia, considering both reservations are cancellable. Now, just after 8am east-coast time (aka after people started working), all of a sudden the room is 'sold out' on this date on Expedia and Hotels.com, and the other nights have been adjusted to $199. Even though, after both my bookings, there was plenty of availability (otherwise expedia shows only x amount of rooms left). Other websites (Orbitz, Choice etc) still have plenty of availability on the same date. Guess they are trying to get out of it again.

Considering the fact that I not only have screenshots of the price at both Hotels.com and Expedia shortly after my booking, but also an actual reservation at the lower price, I'm curious to see if and how they will try to get out of this one
They will definitely get out of this one. The lower rate has to be available at the time they check. No exceptions. The fact that you do have a reservation with expedia for a lower rate is not going to help you.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:40 pm

Not sure why you think your other reservation and screenshots will change anything, but the rules are very clear. The rate has to be currently available. Old screenshots and a reservation for a rate no longer available/valid are completely and utterly worthless.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Not sure why you think your other reservation and screenshots will change anything, but the rules are very clear. The rate has to be currently available. Old screenshots and a reservation for a rate no longer available/valid are completely and utterly worthless.
Of course I know that screenshots and a reservation in itself won't change anything, no need to put yourself on a pedestule.

The reason I made the Expedia reservation is that I could now cancel it, so there should be availability again. Hopefully that will drop back to the old price... a guy can only hope with these guys.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: LH, BA, Panera Bread
I have an upcoming stay at a quite expensive Comfort Inn in a room with 2 double beds.

Though the "Max Room Occupancy" is 4 persons, it is not possible in my opinion to file a BRG claim with more than 2 persons.

Have any of you experienced problems when the room occupancy was higher than 2 people?
I would not have any problem paying a little fee for each additional person, I just do not want the hotel to think I violated the BRG T&C...
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FrequentStargazer
I have an upcoming stay at a quite expensive Comfort Inn in a room with 2 double beds.

Though the "Max Room Occupancy" is 4 persons, it is not possible in my opinion to file a BRG claim with more than 2 persons.

Have any of you experienced problems when the room occupancy was higher than 2 people?
I would not have any problem paying a little fee for each additional person, I just do not want the hotel to think I violated the BRG T&C...
Check in yourself and get the rest in after you have got the keys.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:46 am

Succesfull BRG

Of course I know that screenshots and a reservation in itself won't change anything, no need to put yourself on a pedestule.

The reason I made the Expedia reservation is that I could now cancel it, so there should be availability again. Hopefully that will drop back to the old price... a guy can only hope with these guys.
Just wanted to let you guys know that the tactic worked; I had a lovely BRG stay at the GEM Chelsea in NYC.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:32 pm

It seems like most competing websites are requiring 3 day cancellations... Choice is saying you can cancel 24 hours prior to check in...

Is that an issue?

Expedia, Travelocity, etc are all in the same boat.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Just wanted to let you guys know that the tactic worked; I had a lovely BRG stay at the GEM Chelsea in NYC.
Very surprising that this would work, I have to say.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:53 am

in the BRG process now - will post here with details.

Last edited by bmw303; Oct 13, 2013 at 11:53 am
Old Oct 17, 2013, 3:16 pm

Hi, guys, how strict are they in matching the room type?

For eg : 2single bed vs standard room or non-smoking vs non-described smoking policy?

Thanks in advance=)
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Hi, guys, how strict are they in matching the room type?

For eg : 2single bed vs standard room or non-smoking vs non-described smoking policy?

Thanks in advance=)
Very strict I am sure. They seem to use every trick in the book to get out of a claim (not surprising given the nature of the guarantee). I tried to test out their guarantee and they kept sliding out of it.

Recently my claim was denied twice because they said the rate was no longer available on the competing site. It is now available AGAIN, and I have resubmitted.

So far - not a great impression for choice.

We'll see....
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:32 am

Well - I think it is only fair (after my last post), to report an update.

They did approve the very valid claim this time. I was beginning to doubt the program, and while I disagree with the previous denials, I guess I stand corrected.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:32 pm

I got mine approved as well=)

Originally Posted by bmw303
Well - I think it is only fair (after my last post), to report an update.

They did approve the very valid claim this time. I was beginning to doubt the program, and while I disagree with the previous denials, I guess I stand corrected.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:55 pm

Had comfort inn San Diego gaslamp approved for October 3

Just had
comfort inn ventura nov 16
Rode way inn San Francisco dec 20
Comfort inn San Diego February 14

All approved. Remember that t&c state one brg per 30 day period.
Time to look for a free march night!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.