Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
And this is a surprise to you because ???

4. Free Night Limit: one (1) free night per household for any thirty day period between Booking check-in dates.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
And this is a surprise to you because ???
If you don't read the T&Cs, it's amazing how surprising and never boring the world is!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Be careful if you have more than one account with the same address, e.g. Mr Choice and Mrs Choice.

I have a valid claim for end of October. My wife found a BRG reason for mid October but she was denied because I was one approved at the end of October
However, If you cancel a previously approved BRG, you can re-apply again with in the 30 days check in period.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:15 pm

Worst BRG experience ever ???

I’m posting this for a couple of reasons. First of all I just feel I have to vent. Secondly I’d like the opinion of fellow Flyer Talk members to see if I have the proper reality check on this situation.

First of all let me say that my husband and I are elderly and on a fixed income. We love to travel. We have the time but not necessarily the money to travel as much as we’d like. Consequently, we try to utilize hotel promos, BRG’s etc. to travel. Many of these promos have a number of loopholes but we try to remain within the bounds of the T & C’s.

When Choice re-introduced the free night BRG about 8 months ago the T& C’s were REALLY lose. It was really pretty easy to get a free night – in fact when it first came out it was really easy to get several free nights. There were no restrictions on “same household” – at the beginning you just couldn’t have consecutive nights in the same name. Also, they did not have the 30 day rule so as long as you switched hotels you could get several free nights per month. Almost immediately they started to tighten up the T&C’s. This is understandable since you don’t stay in business giving away free hotel nights.

Knowing that this promo could not survive in it’s original form for very long I booked a number of stays several months out. I booked the first night and my husband booked the second. We were following the T&C’s as they existed at that time.

In all fairness to Choice most of these stays were quite pleasant. In fact, until my most recent experience I was planning on returning to some of these properties as a paying guest (who knew that the Comfort Inn and Suites Oceanfront in Daytona Beach could be so nice for only about $60 a night?).

Having said all that I just feel I’ve gone through one of the worst BRG experiences ever. Please let me know your opinions, am I totally off base here?

I booked the Dove Creek Lodge in Key Largo for 3 separate stays in September, October and November. I booked them about 7 or 8 months ago when the T & C’s were “loose”.

Our first stay, in September was uneventful. It was basically a glorified Motel 6. I had a 1 bedroom suite and it was “OK”. Never would I pay $259.00 a night before taxes for it but heck, free is free.

My recent stay in October was quite another matter. We live over 200 miles from the hotel so it’s about a 4 hour drive each way and with gas at $4.00 a gallon not exactly cheap. Granted, the room was “free” but round trip on gas was about $85.00 just for gas.

I am elderly and have mobility issues. I have horrible back problems and can not stand for more than 15 minutes without excruciating sciatica nerve back pain. This trip I again book a 1 bedroom suite, primarily because it has a sofa sleeper that I can sit on when my back pain kicks in.

Two days before check in my husband called to confirm the room. We were told we were all set and there was no mention of any issues or problems with our reservation.

After a four hour drive we get to the hotel and are shown to our room. Instead of the ocean view suite with a porch that I booked it is a plain room. The only seating in the room for me and my husband (78 years old and quite frail) are two very high “director like” chairs. In a million years I could never climb into those chairs and neither could my husband.

I said to the check in gal, Debbie that this is a mistake, I booked a 1 bedroom suite with a couch. She insisted that no, I booked a regular room. I pulled out a print out of my reservation that clearly says a one bedroom ocean view suite with a sofa bed and she says it doesn’t matter, they don’t have it. The standard room was by the way about $100 cheaper than the suite I booked.

Now, I don’t think I’m being paranoid but I don’t think this ever would have happened if we were “paying” guests. I explained to Debbie that the standard room is a physical impossibility for me but she said that’s all they have.

I spent the next two hours trying to resolve this – some of it talking to Choice customer relations and some to the hotel directly – nothing was working. There was a big fishing tournament on for that weekend so getting alternate accommodations was close to impossible. Husband and I were pretty much resigned to driving another 4 hours home when some guest “miraculously” cancelled. They said if we waited another half hour they could put us in a suite.

We got to the suite and there were several issues but we were so happy we didn’t have to drive another 4 hours to get home we kept mum. (Door to screen porch did not lock – security issue – someone could easily have entered our room. Only one light out of 4 working in batrhroom – very dark. Bathroom sink leaking – slippery and dangerous. Sound proofing awful – heard every sound above us.)

We essentially wasted the first day of our vacation dealing with this. The second day we were so stressed out we weren’t up to much of anything and wasted that day (when you get old you can’t handle stress very well).

Last morning had major issue with breakfast. Stayed here in September and breakfast was not bad – not great but not bad. This particular morning all they had was orange juice, coffee, fruit and breads – pretty meager. They said because of the tournament that was all they were offering. At around 7:30 hubby made two trips to breakfast buffet using trays we took from home (he brought back to our room so I would not have to walk to lobby). First trip hubby got OJ, water and coffee. Second trip he got a couple of bagels, utensils and napkins. The front desk manager, Jamie just yelled at my husband to make sure we call them to return the plates (like I really want their cheap 70’s style plates). At around 9:00 am, still hungry he returned for more bagels and found the whole buffet closed up. It was supposed to go till 9:30. Jamie said my husband was already there twice and everyone else was done so they closed it. Well, between the check in issues and everything else my husband got fed up and told Jamie that he has had better service at a Motel 6 (which was unfortunately true).

We checked out, moved on to another hotel in Miami (not Choice but a good deal with Reserve Travel).

Got home two days later. We had our last BRG trip booked for November at the Dove Creek, again with a Choice BRG. To make sure we had the suite we booked we called the hotel to confirm. Debbie answered and said I’m sorry to have to tell you this but because of the issue with breakfast (my husband complained that the buffet closed early) Jamie talked to the owners of the hotel and they said we were unwelcomed guests, they were refusing us service and they would not honor our next BRG reservation.

Hubby tells me what Debbie said and I am flabbergasted! We are being denied the two free nights because hubby complained about the breakfast being closed a half hour early ???

Called Choice hotels thinking they would honor the BRG but 3 hours later boy was I wrong. Probably talked to every clerk and supervisor in Customer Relations and the BRG group. Got the run around and finger pointing from everyone I talked to. Got typical stereotyped scripts from all that I talked to – basically not my yob and I can’t do anything about it. Customer relations kept quoting the current BRG T & C’s and tried to accuse me of bypassing them (repeatedly told them those were not the T& C’s in place when I booked this trip 7 or 8 months ago but it fell on deaf ears).

Customer Relations was particularly obnoxious. They just kept saying if the hotel refused service to a guest that is their right and they will support them. I kept pointing out that I think the hotel was using that as an excuse to not honor the BRG but they just kept giving me the same line. Since I was supposed to have two free nights which are now being denied I asked Choice if they would foot the bill at another property (I was willing to trade the $259.00 a night room at Dove Creek for a $59.00 a night room at Comfort Inn in Daytona but they refused – both BRG manager and Customer Relations manager).

On my last conversation with Choice Customer relations I stressed how can the hotel refuse service because my husband complained about the early closing of the breakfast buffet? The person apparently slipped up and said “well, that’s not what the hotel says”. I questioned further and found out the hotel claimed there were items missing from the room. I had no idea what “items” they could be referring to. The only thing I can think of is the wicker basket with a hairdryer under the sink. Since the sink was leaking I moved this item to the closet so it would not get wet and ruined. I did this as a courtesy to the hotel. The item was moved, not missing. The customer service person could not confirm what items were allegedly “missing”.

When I originally booked these BRG “deals” I had no idea that the individual hotel had to foot the bill for the free nights. Of course they will object. Why would they want to give away free nights? I blame the hotel for this to some extent but I think the main fault lies with Choice. Am I wrong to be angry and upset here? I’m grateful for the free nights I got with this promotion but that in no way justifies this last experience. As I said, I’m old and not very well able to handle stress. I feel a heart attack or stroke coming on. Am I wrong here?

Oh and by the way the final icing on the cake is the following – the hotel has a 30 day cancellation policy – it is too late to cancel and theoretically they can charge about $300 per booking (1 for me and 1 for my hubby). Choice BRG clearly says that any change to the reservation could negate the $0 rate so they can charge the regular rate per booking so we could theoretically owe them about $600 for this reservation that they are refusing to honor – It doesn’t get any better than this!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ttraveler
First of all I just feel I have to vent.
Mission accomplished. That was one of the most detailed rants I've read in a while.

Secondly I’d like the opinion of fellow Flyer Talk members to see if I have the proper reality check on this situation.
This is what I read:
  • You booked a bunch of legitimate free nights at a hotel
  • It turns out you didn't like the hotel - because it's not very good
  • Because of your unfortunate infirmities, you have to be very particular about the room you receive and how you use the amenities
  • This has rubbed the hotel the wrong way and thus they have asked you not to return
  • This whole situation has you very stressed, to the point of fearing for your health

You asked for our opinions, so here's mine: Give up and move on. It isn't worth your health to fight to stay at a terrible hotel or to deal with terrible guest relations service.

Even though you have a tight budget, you'd do better to invest in nicer hotels, using some combination of educated priceline bidding, credit card signup bonuses, and better BRG programs. You could also consider traveling with another similar couple and target vacation rentals (VRBO, etc.) to share the cost.

If you're really concerned about the cancellation penalty on what you already had booked, get their refusal to honor the reservation in writing well before your arrival date.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:41 am

thanks

If you're really concerned about the cancellation penalty on what you already had booked, get their refusal to honor the reservation in writing well before your arrival date.
Thanks for the suggestion - a good one
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
If you're seriously worried about a heart attack or stroke because of this, you need to call your DR - not vent on Flyertalk. Seriously. Vent later.

Screw the hotel, you're not welcomed back, you complained, they complained, move on. You can't prove they are denying you occupancy because they (really) don't want to give you a free room any more than they can prove you stole a wicker basket from the room and that is why they are denying you. Some battles are worth fighting, this one sounds like the winner gets a free night in a very crappy room...or not. Perhaps you really are the winner by not returning.

What MDtR said is spot on and really great advice. As a fellow FT'er who does BRGs too, I feel bad for you and I would be disappointed/frustrated/annoyed too, but ultimately I wouldn't waste the fuel money to return there or time to persue it, it seems you don't want or like the stress, so end it and find better opportunities
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ttraveler
Thanks for the suggestion - a good one
Yes you need to get a written confirmation from them saying that they don't want to honour your BRG and therefore you'd like to cancel the reservation.

Anyway, if I were you I'd write an e-mail complaint to Choice, and tell them that you'd go to BBB. Also write on Choice's Facebook page - this way other people can see what they have done to you.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:42 pm

Thank you all

Originally Posted by redreeper
If you're seriously worried about a heart attack or stroke because of this, you need to call your DR - not vent on Flyertalk. Seriously. Vent later.

Screw the hotel, you're not welcomed back, you complained, they complained, move on. You can't prove they are denying you occupancy because they (really) don't want to give you a free room any more than they can prove you stole a wicker basket from the room and that is why they are denying you. Some battles are worth fighting, this one sounds like the winner gets a free night in a very crappy room...or not. Perhaps you really are the winner by not returning.

What MDtR said is spot on and really great advice. As a fellow FT'er who does BRGs too, I feel bad for you and I would be disappointed/frustrated/annoyed too, but ultimately I wouldn't waste the fuel money to return there or time to persue it, it seems you don't want or like the stress, so end it and find better opportunities
As usual Flyertalk responses and info very helpful. I just love this forum! I really didn't want to go back to this place after what happened (even for free) but you know it's always "the principal of the thing". I will take advice and move on. The longer I live the more I believe the song that says, "God is great, beer is good and people are crazy". Also, Nacho, thanks for advice. Didn't know how to respond to two responses.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:43 am

Could someone provide me with some tips as to which sites you use? I tried the usual suspects like booking or such but to no avail. would appreciate it!!!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Lisa40403
Could someone provide me with some tips as to which sites you use? I tried the usual suspects like booking or such but to no avail. would appreciate it!!!
I used to use Kayak, but they are no longer accurate - half the time I check a price it says "Whoa! The price has changed, the new price is...." which is really annoying and amateurish. Hotelscombined.com is pretty good, I haven't found a way to sort by chain, which Kayak does, but its pretty accurate.

Also, I subscribe to the BRG Blog for some interesting finds.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, CO OnePass, UA
I used to use Kayak, but they are no longer accurate - half the time I check a price it says "Whoa! The price has changed, the new price is...." which is really annoying and amateurish. Hotelscombined.com is pretty good, I haven't found a way to sort by chain, which Kayak does, but its pretty accurate.

Also, I subscribe to the BRG Blog for some interesting finds.
Hey RedReeper,

We meet again!

How do I subscribe to the BRG Blog?? You're referring to this right? http://bestrateguarantee.blogspot.com/ When I go there I see no option to subscribe via email

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by ThunderStorm00
Hey RedReeper,

We meet again!

How do I subscribe to the BRG Blog?? You're referring to this right? http://bestrateguarantee.blogspot.com/ When I go there I see no option to subscribe via email

Thanks!
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/best...-/ULIQnd0vrG8J

It's been awhile... join the group and get updates... if that doesn't work contact the BRG Blog and ask, they will guide you.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:32 pm

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/best...-/ULIQnd0vrG8J

It's been awhile... join the group and get updates... if that doesn't work contact the BRG Blog and ask, they will guide you.

Thanks RedReeper!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:59 pm

Claim Approved! Followed Your Strategy

nope. I went with open forum shaming instead
Thanks again, RedReeper, for being the foremost light bearer and braving it for the masses .

I am completely shocked but pleasantly surprised to have had my claim approved!!! I followed your strategy, although because it was the weekend and SocialMedia is closed, I'm not sure if it made a difference. However both myself and a friend were able to get our BRG claims approved!

And that was a first.

Also in talking to the BRG CSR, I was told they no longer enforce the "must be the exact same Cancelllation terms" rule they used to have. So hopefully this is the start of a move towards business practices that have more integrity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.