Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

18 month inactivity rule - ever invoked on anybody?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum

Just checking if anybody has experienced the 18 month inactivity rule being invoked, and los tpoints with Choice?

Any idea what activity could be termed eligible - like a car rental, or maybe points from some other program being transferred into Choice, or maybe a redemption that I can cancel later?

I understand the below conditions, and when I login to my Choice account, it shows points expiring Dec 31, 2012 and I intend to use the points later in the summer with stays but not right now; but I'll be coming up the 18 months mark soon, and don't want the points to be forfeited.

Thanks in advance.

Earning Points

12. Choice Privileges points expire on December 31, two years after the year in which they were deposited into your account unless forfeited or canceled earlier due to membership inactivity or otherwise in accordance to these rules and regulations

Other Terms and Conditions

14. If you have no activity for a period of 18 consecutive months, Choice may remove you from the Program and therefore terminate your account. If Choice removes you from the Program, you will forfeit your points.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i bought some once to avoid cancellation.....needed them to get enough for an award nite which was used,,,,,maybe $20 or so & 4-5 yrs back at a $90-100 per nite clarion........
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:20 pm

Why don't you just use some of the points to make a placeholder reservation before the end of March, then cancel and have the points reinstated before making the real reservation you need later? Seems like that should be enough activity...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Thanks for the suggestion...I was thinking along the same lines...however question on my mind is whether just making an award reservation, and canceling it is "eligible activity" to reset the 18 month clock?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by raj_cl
Thanks for the suggestion...I was thinking along the same lines...however question on my mind is whether just making an award reservation, and canceling it is "eligible activity" to reset the 18 month clock?
Do you know that you will use the points within the 2 year timeframe?

If you aren't sure you can use them on a reservation within the 2 year expiration timeframe, then I've found that sometimes, redeeming for gift cards or airline miles, while not the best use, is at least some use.

Once you hit 180 posts, you can also post on Coupon Connection that you are looking to trade an award night at a Choice Hotels property for something else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.