Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Choice | Choice Privileges
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 9, 11, 10:44 am   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheap awards in Puerto Rico -- but do I want to stay there?

Ah, the classic Choice Privileges conundrum: by any objective standard, Choice offers some very cheap award redemptions in Puerto Rico. They seem to max out at 8000 points.

But the hotels seem "eh" at best. Anyone stay in one recently?

So my choice is staying for almost free at Choice, or staying in a resort where I have to pay something (I'll probably use points, or cash & points, but it will be a real expense: I don't consider 8000 Choice points to be a real expense!)

A few years ago, I had a late flight into San Juan, and I stayed at the San Juan Comfort Inn for a night before leaving town the next morning. I suppose I'll do something similar this time. The Ascend "Le Consulat" is the same number of points and sounds fancier, so maybe I'll try that one. I remember the Comfort Inn as being nothing more than a place to crash for a night.
iahphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 11, 1:31 pm   #2

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE
With hotel prices here in PR being so expensive... I am surprised they have lower point requirements. The Ascend "Le Consulat"??? Never heard of it.
AFONTANEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 11, 6:31 pm   #3

Programs: DL Silver,UA Silver,AA,Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I stay at The Ascend "Le Consulat last year for 3 days for 8,000 pts and will probably considered stay there again next year or the comfort inn considering the cheap 8,000 pts, and dont plan on staying in the room much.

Overall its a decent place, had two beds and a couch in a sitting area separated by a wall, so nothing real fancy, just a fancy name, probably not much different from a comfort inn
yuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 11, 7:11 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuel View Post
I stay at The Ascend "Le Consulat last year for 3 days for 8,000 pts and will probably considered stay there again next year or the comfort inn considering the cheap 8,000 pts, and dont plan on staying in the room much.

Overall its a decent place, had two beds and a couch in a sitting area separated by a wall, so nothing real fancy, just a fancy name, probably not much different from a comfort inn
Just the name "Le Consulat" makes me willing to pony up a few thousand more points. But the tripadvisor reviews are decidedly mediocre. Of course, at that price . . . .
iahphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 11, 9:51 pm   #5

Programs: DL Silver,UA Silver,AA,Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Just the name "Le Consulat" makes me willing to pony up a few thousand more points. But the tripadvisor reviews are decidedly mediocre. Of course, at that price . . . .
Le Consulat is 8,000 per night, and worth the pts considering you could stay at a ecno lodge or rodeway inn for 8-10,000 a night
yuel is offline   Reply With Quote