Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Blind and Green
  • 64,000 total points, apply by November 30, 2018
  • 32,000 points for $1,000 spend within 90 days
  • Additional 32,000 points for $2k additional spend ($3k total) within 180 days
    • no annual fee
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2513&cellNumber=5

Print Wikipost

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you again, ChoiceHotels.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:38 pm

I went ahead and bit. I think choice hotels are one of the few under-rated points currencies out there. I agree that on average their hotels are much more basic than your typical Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt chain hotel, but there are some amazing sweet spots with their awards. With the 40,000 points from the bonus I just booked 3 nights in a 2-bedroom suite at a hotel just outside a Northern California national park that's going for $250/night. It won't be fancy, but when traveling with kids, that kind of value is hard to beat.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Just updated the wiki above to reflect the new 64,000 point offer.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
To paraphrase the old game show, here's the 64,000 point question: if you have the card currently and cancel it, will Barclay give you the full bonus if you reapply before November 18 and comply with the spending requirements?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
To paraphrase the old game show, here's the 64,000 point question: if you have the card currently and cancel it, will Barclay give you the full bonus if you reapply before November 18 and comply with the spending requirements?
I think the more important question is what are the odds of getting approved with such a move. IMO, slim unless you are the Steve Jobs of recon, based on recent DPs.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
I think the more important question is what are the odds of getting approved with such a move. IMO, slim unless you are the Steve Jobs of recon, based on recent DPs.
And even without such a move, my 2018 record with new Barclays applications has been abysmal.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:14 am

Don't get this card unless you either are okay with abandoning your old Choice account or have hours to spend on phone and chat tag with customer service.

Apparently, despite giving my Choice Privileges account number to Barclayscard on the application, and that same number appearing on my credit card, they decided to open a new account for me. No notice, no idea why. Called into Choice customer service to get the accounts merged, said they would in 3-5 business days. Two weeks go by, no response or notification about it. Contact their social media team, and they're able to merge my accounts, but after a few days of conversation they say that I need to create a new online account for the new account number. Only thing with that is that I can't - the web page always says "We're sorry, an unexpected error occurs." They're unable to fix this over social media, so I have to call in.

The first two times I call in, they tell me that their system is down and that I need to call back later. The second time I call back and get the same response, I ask for a callback. Never got a callback (or if I did, it was from a random number and they didn't leave a voicemail.) The third call I got a representative who was able to get my old username working and merge it properly with my old account - old username and password, with all the points and stays visible. Something I was told earlier simply wasn't possible.

I have no idea what happened, but the whole experience was incredibly frustrating, and now I'm just hoping my points actually post properly from the credit card here on out.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:34 pm
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by jebr
Don't get this card unless you either are okay with abandoning your old Choice account or have hours to spend on phone and chat tag with customer service.

Apparently, despite giving my Choice Privileges account number to Barclayscard on the application, and that same number appearing on my credit card, they decided to open a new account for me. No notice, no idea why. Called into Choice customer service to get the accounts merged, said they would in 3-5 business days. Two weeks go by, no response or notification about it. Contact their social media team, and they're able to merge my accounts, but after a few days of conversation they say that I need to create a new online account for the new account number. Only thing with that is that I can't - the web page always says "We're sorry, an unexpected error occurs." They're unable to fix this over social media, so I have to call in.

The first two times I call in, they tell me that their system is down and that I need to call back later. The second time I call back and get the same response, I ask for a callback. Never got a callback (or if I did, it was from a random number and they didn't leave a voicemail.) The third call I got a representative who was able to get my old username working and merge it properly with my old account - old username and password, with all the points and stays visible. Something I was told earlier simply wasn't possible.

I have no idea what happened, but the whole experience was incredibly frustrating, and now I'm just hoping my points actually post properly from the credit card here on out.
From your perspective, this is certainly not the impression we want to leave on our service efforts. Thank you for offering this feedback as one of our valued members. I understand that it was frustrating not to have your account correctly associated from the beginning. While we hope to keep you around for a while longer, can you send us a message with your member number and associated contact details? I want to follow up with you and hope we can chat soon! *Julio

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.