Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Blind and Green
  • 64,000 total points, apply by November 30, 2018
  • 32,000 points for $1,000 spend within 90 days
  • Additional 32,000 points for $2k additional spend ($3k total) within 180 days
    • no annual fee
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2513&cellNumber=5

Print Wikipost

24,000 + 8,000 (update: or 16,000) points for no-fee Choice credit card

Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Thank you onthego15 and lwildernorva
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
No annual fee is always good. Gold status will provide an earnings bonus plus an expanded booking window. Which can be great if certain European properties keep offering low-level award opportunities. Like, five nights worth with this card. So long as you understand that Choice has few "aspirational" properties and keep your expectations realistic, this can be a good program, especially because earnings can be done relatively easily with recurrent 8K points promotions that let you earn another European night for two cheap stays in the US.

It's a Barclays card, which means that so long as you're not looking at another of their cards, such as the US card or the Arrival card, in the short-term future, you're avoiding another Citi, Chase, or Amex hit.

I've got two Barclays cards. This is one of them. The 40K offer is historically high and not currently available through any public channel.

Hope this information helps.
I was looking at this card too and I received the same promotion. I have one US Airways card and was thinking of getting another in a few months. The problem is, I don't know how likely it is I'll get the US Airways card.

I'm already platinum (status matched with Marriott). I don't stay at Choice hotels that often, although I might stay at them a night here or a night there to take advantage of the 8,000 bonus points.

Have NOT had a Barclays app within 90 days. The "no annual fee" is very tempting.

Thinking of also going for the United Personal, Starwood Biz, and one of the AA cards.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by whatmakes
I was looking at this card too and I received the same promotion. I have one US Airways card and was thinking of getting another in a few months. The problem is, I don't know how likely it is I'll get the US Airways card.

I'm already platinum (status matched with Marriott). I don't stay at Choice hotels that often, although I might stay at them a night here or a night there to take advantage of the 8,000 bonus points.

Have NOT had a Barclays app within 90 days. The "no annual fee" is very tempting.

Thinking of also going for the United Personal, Starwood Biz, and one of the AA cards.

Thoughts?
For me, it would depend on how old the US Barclays card is. I get from your post that it has to be more than 90 days old, but how much older? I just applied for my second US card (my first was in September 2011), but have not received approval yet (I don't call reconsideration immediately as I'm not attention-span challenged). There seem to be mixed experiences regarding approval from my review of the thread for this card in the FT credit card forum--some seem to be able to churn the card; some can't. I should note if I get turned down for this card, it'll be my first CC decline ever.

My first US app was about 60 days after my first Choice app; unless Barclays has significantly changed their app policies, that spacing should work now as well. That would defer your next US app for 60 days, which should improve but not guarantee your chances of approval.

I made a US app now because with the DOJ suit holding up the US/AA merger, I now think there's a realistic possibility that US will end up on its own. As a corollary, because I think Barclays may have either a) wanted to suck up to the new entity by showing how many cards they could move to improve their chances of getting all or part of the new AA's CC business, or b) wanted to dump their stash of US miles, I figured the gravy train with multiple Barclays US cards would end before the normal Barclays Choice offer does--plus, I'm holding out for a targeted 40K offer or the return of the general 40K offer.

Either way, it's a no-fee card that has had occasional promos to earn extra Choice points, the program can be generous if you have certain limited needs, and you get points after a first purchase and a first stay at a Choice property. Figure all in, you can get all the bonus points for an outlay of $75. Assuming you're getting 32K or 40K points, you can't purchase them at that rate even during the Discover America Daily Getaways promo.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by genesys9
Just got the 40,000 points email, and am wondering if it is worth it...Hmmm...
Targetted?

I've had the no-fee Barclay card for a couple of years now, and should have a good history with them. If the card is churnable (i.e., I can get two of them) I'd like to go for it. If I have to cancel and wait 60 days I'll have to think about it.

OTOH, my wife has an excellent credit rating (thanks to the cards I've gotten for her over the years ... without her knowing much about it ) so maybe I should consider getting one for her. If there's no link, though (i.e., they have to contact you) not sure what I'll do.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Figure all in, you can get all the bonus points for an outlay of $75. Assuming you're getting 32K or 40K points, you can't purchase them at that rate even during the Discover America Daily Getaways promo.
As you know, those 40K points could (if your timing is right) translate into 5 nights in Rome, London, or Paris.

Tell me another place where I can get 5 nights in a city like that for that kind of money and I'm all over it.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BigLar
As you know, those 40K points could (if your timing is right) translate into 5 nights in Rome, London, or Paris.

Tell me another place where I can get 5 nights in a city like that for that kind of money and I'm all over it.
I think it was Phil Hartmann's catch phrase when he was doing his Ed McMahon impression on SNL that best describes my response: "I did not know that, sir!" With heavy, fake laughter.

We have milked THAT particular aspect of the Choice program, haven't we? And with the new (?) fall promotion, we'll stock up to do it again!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:58 am
DH

Is there better signup bonus than currently available at Choice Privileges website (8K + 24K pts)?
Old Mar 9, 2016, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
New and better offer:

32K with 1K in spend. Coupled with the new expiration policy, this is very tempting:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...id=PTRBACPL116
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
New and better offer:

32K with 1K in spend. Coupled with the new expiration policy, this is very tempting:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...id=PTRBACPL116
Thanks! Very tempting offer. That's 4 nights at a Comfort Inn.

Last edited by waingro; Mar 22, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by waingro
Thanks! Very tempting offer. That's 4 nights at a Comfort Inn.
MUCH better in Europe. It's getting me 4 nights at a Clarion in downtown Prague in May. Even central Paris has several Comforts/Qualities at 16K weekdays and 12K weekends (Fri/Sat)

Last edited by tassojunior; Apr 9, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:56 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
When do you receive the 8K bonus for spending 10K on the card in a year?
Anybody ever done that?
thanks
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by frank_10b
When do you receive the 8K bonus for spending 10K on the card in a year?
Anybody ever done that?
thanks
IDK about this particular bonus but Barclays and this card seems to take an average of 2-3 months to post points. or 2-3 billing cycles post. I am not sure why, every other card of mine ts days after my card closes for the month.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:26 am
DH

The sign up bonus is 40,000 points with $1000 min spending requirement. This offer expires 5/31/2017.

PS. I'm tempted...

Last edited by DH; Apr 19, 2017 at 8:27 am Reason: Added URL to the offer.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Me too ... My stupid question to anyone: Will the card keep extending the points expiry out 18 months as long as it's open/active, counting as "activity," similar to other cards/programs? Thank you. 😊

Last edited by Firewind; May 21, 2017 at 6:33 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 10:01 am
Company Representative, Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by Firewind
Me too ... My stupid question to anyone: Will the card keep extending the points expiry out 18 months as long as it's open/active, counting as "activity," similar to other cards/programs? Thank you. 😊
Yes it will. Any partner earn or redeem transaction counts as an activity including the Choice Privileges credit card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.