Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

Spring Summer Promotion 05/20/10 - 08/05/10

Old May 13, 2010, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Earn a $50.00 restaurant gift card when you stay two seperate times at any Choice hotel.

Reservations must be made at choicehotels.com or 800-4CHOICE at qualifying rates and Choice Privileges member number must be provided upon check-in. After every second qualifying stay with arrival between 05/20/10 an 08/05/10, enough points will be added to points earned to reach the 8,000 point level, which can be redeemed for a $50 Chili's gift card that can be used toward the purchase of a meal for a family of 4 excluding tax or tip. members may earn and redeem up to two awards during the promotion. Redemptions must be completed by 10/31/10. A stay is defind as any number of consecutive nights at one hotel regardless of check-ins or check-outs at any Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep inn, Clarion, Cambria Suites, MainStay Suites, Suburban Extended Stay, Econo Lodge, Rodeway Inn and Ascend Collection property included in the Choice Privileges program. You must maintain a U.S. address (including U.S. territories) to be eligible for this promotion. For program details, qualifying rates, eligible properties and point redemption rules, visit choiceprivileges.com. Brinker International (Chili's, Macaroni Grill, On The Border, Maggiano's) is not a sponsor or co-sponsor of this promotion.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I checked into the Econo Lodge in Walnut, Iowa today at 3pm. Went to get dinner at 6pm and the marketing materials were posted EVERYWHERE. The above post is verbatim from the promotional materials.

Basically, the same promotion that ran up until 04/30/2010. Stay two and get a total of 8,000 points. I don't know if the points accrued during this promotion (up to 16,000) will expire on 11/01/10 or if you can utilize them after that date. I don't know if the system will look for a $50 gift card redemption for each of the two 8,000 points earned and if you did not redeem them for a gift card remove them from your account.

Lots to be answered here.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If Choice holds on course to what they've done in previous promos, the points are posted to your account to do with as you please. Any qualifying requirements just opened the option. Case in point, last year they required three stays to qualify for $50 VISA cards for 16,000 points. Once you had three stays you could buy as many cards as you wanted or use the points for room rewards. When the promo ended, so did the option to buy the cards. It was a good way to burn points about to expire.

Currently the $50 restaurant cards are 16,000 points. So I'm hoping they will be cutting the cost to 8K, or otherwise it will take four stays to earn enough points for the $50 card.

I went on their website and I don't see any reference to this program, so I guess we'll just need to wait and see what they post.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Nothing on the website, like you said. I would assume that the gift cards will be 8,000. That is in line with the last promotion which was 8,000, the base amount for a free night. Of course, the front desk clerk here "knows nothing about the promotion." I would have to agree, wait and see!!!
Old May 14, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
So, if I'm reading this right this promotion is capped at only 2 (8000 point) awards. As in 4 total stays? Or is it collect as many bonus points as you want but you are limited to only 2 redemptions?
Old May 16, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: hh diamond, cp diamond priority club plat Alaska 75k Delta Gold
look barck to last summer

If my memory holds, they did a stay 3 and get a 50 dollar gas card (with no limit) last summer. They decreased the value (or purchase price) of the gas card from 16k to 14 k, and the third stay netted you enough points to get to 14k. They did not have a limit on them last time. I would assume that you will only get the bonus points for a total of 4 qualifying stays.

For lots of folks, this will determine where i will be staying for the summer. Will it be there (sure if 2 gets me 16 with no limit), or elsewhere after 4 stays if not.

with the other promos that have been going, i would be really surprised not to see an additinal one.

There are not enough bib people to drive their business model without promotions

wads
Old May 16, 2010, 11:02 am
nsr

Originally Posted by ahoffman
Reservations must be made at choicehotels.com or 800-4CHOICE at qualifying rates...
How strict is this requirement? I have a booking done through expedia (only because I had a $50 BRG coupon used from expedia but otherwise it's the same price as choicehotels.com).
Old May 16, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Last summer's promo was for a $50 VISA debit card fee-free for six months. It was only available once you made (three?) stays during the promo period. However, you were not limited to the number you could buy regardless how many stays you did (not one for every three). I found it a good way to burn points that were to expire that year.

From what I'm reading, I suspect they will cut you off after points have been earned for four stays. That definately would not encourage me to continue staying at Choice properties.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsr
How strict is this requirement? I have a booking done through expedia (only because I had a $50 BRG coupon used from expedia but otherwise it's the same price as choicehotels.com).
It likely depends on what your elite status with Choice is. In the last two or three promos, where the public wording was that you had to book at choicehotels.com or the 800 number, certain levels of Choice elite status (I'm Diamond myself, so I don't remember how far down it went) could book through any channels. But there were tales aplenty of people who didn't have elite status who booked through other channels and got nothing. So I'd say you may have some hope (but no guarantee yet) if you have elite status with Choice, but not likely much hope if you have no elite status with Choice.

And, btw, other channels (that get nothing if you aren't exempt due to being elite) tend to include not just Expedia, but also booking with the hotel directly. So even if you're standing in the lobby of the hotel when you decide to stay at that hotel for the night, call the 800 number instead of making a walk-up reservation if a promo like this is important to you!
Old May 18, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: Choice Privlidges Elite Diamond- 120+ Choice Privileges nights/year, Delta, UA
Well, it's May 18th at 5:00pm and no mention of this promo on the Choice Hotels website. What's their reasoning? I'm beginning to wonder if this terrrible, capped promotion is really real. Anybody else seen or heard anything?
Old May 18, 2010, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spent last night at a Choice property and noted they did not have any of the collateral for the new promo. They said they had it out and people were commenting it didn't start until the 20th, so they pulled it.

Sounds like it's real, it just the specific terms and what their practice will be. The folks last night agreed limiting it to just four stays was not smart. If they do, then I'll be going elsewhere once I have my four stays and finish the nights needed for Diamond.
Old May 18, 2010, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The folks last night agreed limiting it to just four stays was not smart. If they do, then I'll be going elsewhere once I have my four stays and finish the nights needed for Diamond.
I'm with you on that. Jeez Choice, why would you limit your good customers from staying with you?
Old May 20, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by n dakota
Well, it's May 18th at 5:00pm and no mention of this promo on the Choice Hotels website. What's their reasoning? I'm beginning to wonder if this terrrible, capped promotion is really real. Anybody else seen or heard anything?
The promo is on the website this morning.

However, I'm not seeing a redemption for the Chili's card at the 8000 pts/$50 rate. All the restaurant cards are still listed at 16K/$50. I can only suppose they'll separate out Chili's (Brinker really - I don't think there is a Chili's only gift card out there) into its own category like they have Darden now.

Of course the potential loophole here is that they are going to be offering a half price sale on these cards now that I think about it. If the procedure is that they are rounding to 8K then there doesn't seem to be anything to stop someone who has points to burn from using this redemption. I wonder if they'll put some sort of redemption limit on these to control it.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year you had to complete three stays before the option to redeem the $50 VISA card for 14K points. And there was no limit to the number of times you could redeem the card.
Old May 20, 2010, 8:02 am

Members with Platinum and Diamond status can take advantage of this promotion for a total of 4 awards rather than the 2 previously mentioned. Registration for this enhanced promotion is required.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.