Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Calling all those with infinite Shanghai wisdom

Calling all those with infinite Shanghai wisdom

Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by prefer_2_fly
Now any good spa recommendations before I head back to the states?
XiaoNanGuo in Gubei is still my favorite "spa" that I know of. (Sea Clouds closed a while back and my knowledge isn't very current otherwise.) For a simple massage, it's hard to go wrong by just walking into random places (contrary to popular rumors, very few are brothels).
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:55 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
For a simple massage, it's hard to go wrong by just walking into random places (contrary to popular rumors, very few are brothels).
Not exactly true. But definately avoid any place that has pink lights.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Not exactly true. But definately avoid any place that has pink lights.
or Japanese characters on their sign
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: UA1K, Star Alliance Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, and others...
Originally Posted by sniles
or Japanese characters on their sign
LOL will do! thanks for the advise! Need a good foot massage!!! ^
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
LOL will do! thanks for the advise! Need a good foot massage!!! ^
Look for this character: 足

That should take you a long way.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA1K, Star Alliance Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, and others...
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
Look for this character: 足

That should take you a long way.
Last foot massage in hong kong left me bruised (I bruise easily). The pain....I said it hurt and they handed me something to bite down on. No pleasure without pain LOL!!!!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Last foot massage in hong kong left me bruised (I bruise easily). The pain....I said it hurt and they handed me something to bite down on. No pleasure without pain LOL!!!!

The bruises in the mainland will come at a much cheaper price
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Any place for a decent haircut for a man in his early 30s?

I just went to Zen Salon (a supposed Japanese salon recommended on some other forums) and it turned out to be a disaster.

Maybe I'm just pampered by my usual stylist back home but this guy didn't know the basics.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by roverkt

I just went to Zen Salon (a supposed Japanese salon recommended on some other forums) and it turned out to be a disaster.

Maybe I'm just pampered by my usual stylist back home but this guy didn't know the basics.
Pretty much any of the western franchise salons and many of the Chinese ones are fine.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:48 pm

Good stylists in hair salon in basement of IAPM Mall.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO anyone who uses a stylist rather than a barber should probably just stick with someone they know in your usual location. Obviously you care about how your haircut looks and there is a big risk of going to someone new, especially in a foreign city like Shanghai.

I could care less about my haircuts so I get them done for 20 RMB by whichever barber shop I happen to be walking past. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they suck but it all looks the same after a few days anyway. If I cared about my hair style I would probably be much more fastidious about using anyone new, especially in China.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:49 am

I happen to like the "Eric Paris" chain in Beijing and can usually find similar quality in Shanghai. Spending 300 on hair cuts seemed really dumb to me at first since everyone knows that 20 is the local standard, massage included. But I don't get haircuts very often so I want them to be good.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: SQ*G, SPG Platinum, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
IMHO anyone who uses a stylist rather than a barber should probably just stick with someone they know in your usual location. Obviously you care about how your haircut looks and there is a big risk of going to someone new, especially in a foreign city like Shanghai.

I could care less about my haircuts so I get them done for 20 RMB by whichever barber shop I happen to be walking past. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they suck but it all looks the same after a few days anyway. If I cared about my hair style I would probably be much more fastidious about using anyone new, especially in China.
Of course, the only problem being the stylist I'm used to is a 5 hr flight away and I'm no celebrity to be flying people around to cut my hair. I also have to be in China for a period of time so I can't walk around looking like a dog..
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Lol. When I first got to China 6 years ago I mentioned with surprise to my Chinese friend how many hairdresser/barber shops there were and that they all seemed to be still open and busy at 1 or 2 am in the morning.

He replied rather matter of factly: 'one million hairdressers in China and not one good haircut'.

There are some supposedly high end chains like Toni and Guy - but their prices can be extraordinarily expensive.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It will be expensive, but ask the head concierge in a really good hotel for specific names of stylists, not just the name of a salon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.