Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CTrip tickets and travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Also, am I supposed to get a ticket number of record locator? I only got 2 emails about "order being processed" and then 10 minutes later another 2 emails about "flight reservation/ticket confirmation".
No, but you should be able to get the official receipt delivered to you or held at the airport. If you're just flying one way, I wouldn't bother getting the receipt because they're less likely to misplace it than you are (well, maybe I shouldn't judge you so quickly, but my ability to keep track of random pieces of paper isn't nearly as good as theirs).
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Mystery solved!

So I called my credit card bank to ask what the CNY amount was. The guy on the phone couldn't see it. I asked whether I would need to wait for the statement, he said maybe.

So at last the statement came, and there was no CNY amount. For that statement, I had one other foreign purchase in HK, and the HKD amount showed. Then I looked at the finance charge and it was exactly the HKD amount times 3%.

Conclusion: The Ctrip charge, although labeled SHANGHAI CHN, was in USD. No finance charge was generated.

Not factoring the rebate, I paid 6% extra, which is exactly what a disclaimed 3% Ctrip surcharge and a 3% CC foreign transaction charge would add up to. I'm not complaining!

Last edited by HkCaGu; Aug 11, 2009 at 2:47 am Reason: reparagraphed
Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by moondog
No, but you should be able to get the official receipt delivered to you or held at the airport. If you're just flying one way, I wouldn't bother getting the receipt because they're less likely to misplace it than you are (well, maybe I shouldn't judge you so quickly, but my ability to keep track of random pieces of paper isn't nearly as good as theirs).
I went to the SZX Ctrip counter and they did not have my receipt. Being 2.5 hours early for my flight, I was able to use the CZ "chicken" to look up my reservation and got seats picked, BP printed and bag deposited before a regular human counter would entertain me!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Conclusion: The Ctrip charge, although labeled SHANGHAI CHN, was in USD. No finance charge was generated.
It sounds like they used dynamic currency conversion (something I wouldn't know about, were it not for FT), which you're supposed to be able to decline (i.e. have charge run in USD), but if the end result was the same, I guess it all worked out for you.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:15 am

Booking domestic Chinese flights on CTrip

Hi,
For my upcoming trip to China I need to book 3 domestic flights - 1. Shanghai to Shenzen, 2. Shenzen to Beijing, 3. Beijing to Shanghai. I found the flights and fares I like on CTrip and I am ready to book but just had a few questions. Are these electronic or paper tickets? If I make a booking via credit card how would I pick up the tickets? I do have a friend in Shenzen who can - if necessary - have tickets mailed to his address or book it himself it its a problem. However I will be arriving straight to Shanghai and to connect to Shenzen I need to pick up a ticket at the airport before I fly to see my friend. I depart and leave the US on the 23rd Nov. Any feedback is appreciated!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: various
They would normally be e-tickets. After you book and payment is processed, ctrip should send an email with confirmed itinerary and information you need. Not sure if any pick-up/hand-off is necessary any more. However, if it is, they should be able to have someone bring your paperwork and greet you when you exit customs from the intl inbound flight into Shanghai. I assume you are arriving at PVG (Pudong) airport--if you are not staying in Shanghai but heading directly for Shenzhen, you should try to book a flight that leaves from PVG not SHA, if it exists, and spare yourself a long cross-city shuffle.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by pred02
Hi,
For my upcoming trip to China I need to book 3 domestic flights - 1. Shanghai to Shenzen, 2. Shenzen to Beijing, 3. Beijing to Shanghai. I found the flights and fares I like on CTrip and I am ready to book but just had a few questions. Are these electronic or paper tickets? If I make a booking via credit card how would I pick up the tickets? I do have a friend in Shenzen who can - if necessary - have tickets mailed to his address or book it himself it its a problem. However I will be arriving straight to Shanghai and to connect to Shenzen I need to pick up a ticket at the airport before I fly to see my friend. I depart and leave the US on the 23rd Nov. Any feedback is appreciated!
1. electronic (in almost all cases)
2. you don't really need to pick up your receipts, but I would try to grab them because they will help you if you need to make changes and/or refund; ask ctrip to hold them at its counter in SHA for you (downstairs)

Also, I'd probably hold off on booking SZX-PEK until arriving in SZX unless the fares are abnormally low.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:16 pm

Also, I'd probably hold off on booking SZX-PEK until arriving in SZX unless the fares are abnormally low.
All the flights are approximately $80-$90/flight including taxes. This is a good fare and I am hesitant to risk it going up. My arrival to PVG is on Dec3 the other flights are within 10 days (Dec 3 - Dec 14). How much in advance should I book the flights?

They would normally be e-tickets.
Thanks. Are there any other sites I should be using to book domestic chinese flights? the fares I am getting on ITA Travel (which I use for all else) are ridicilous for China.

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by pred02
All the flights are approximately $80-$90/flight including taxes. This is a good fare and I am hesitant to risk it going up. My arrival to PVG is on Dec3 the other flights are within 10 days (Dec 3 - Dec 14). How much in advance should I book the flights?

Thanks. Are there any other sites I should be using to book domestic chinese flights? the fares I am getting on ITA Travel (which I use for all else) are ridicilous for China.

Thanks!
You're right, $80-90 for PVG-SZX and SZX-PEK are good fares and not too bad for PEK-PVG so I would book them now to avoid hassle later

The other big player is www.elong.net and there is a relatively new player www.travelzen.com.cn

Travelzen's advantage is that they don't make a surcharge for using foreign credit cards (ctrip charge 3%) but many (including me) continue to use ctrip as they have decent service recovery

nickyboy
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I booked Ctrip from SHA to Shenzhen. No problems. Just showed up at the airport, and showed my passport.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:42 pm

www.elong.net is pretty good, I used that a lot when I was studying abroad in HK.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by portfolioflyer
www.elong.net is pretty good, I used that a lot when I was studying abroad in HK.
I've used them both now. Both work, but I find ctrip to be rather more organized -- although there are definitely times when elong has lower fares and vice versa.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, SPG,
I just came back from China. I had booked two domestic flights using Ctrip. Although I had my email confirmations printed out, I simply showed my passport at the airline counter and that was it!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:08 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by wongden
I just came back from China. I had booked two domestic flights using Ctrip. Although I had my email confirmations printed out, I simply showed my passport at the airline counter and that was it!
A year or two back I used yoee.com, and they used passport numbers to identify our reservations. When I arrived at the MU desk, they rapidy found our reservations using passport numbers only.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:34 pm

Chinese fares get cheaper as it gets closer to the actual day of flight. Just keep checking on ctrip and elong, but don't get too greedy. The more popular routes fill up rather quick and they can get pricey. What I used to do was look at the prices go down, and the second it jumps up (usually by a 20-50 rmb) I book it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.